Print Topic - Archive

Triumph Torque  /  Technical Chit-Chat  /  Front strut spring compressors...
Posted by: JimEB, December 7, 2017, 2:58pm
Hey all,

With RBRR prep in mind, I'm slowly gathering parts and tools to overhaul my PI's front suspension. One thing on the list is a set of spring compressors, so I can sort the front struts.

Do you have any recommendations, please?

I'd rather not buy too cheap 'n' cheerful and run the risk of springs flying across the garage  ;D

Thank you!

Posted by: Russell, December 7, 2017, 3:08pm; Reply: 1
Jim,

I bought one of these on a VAT free day.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/strut-compressor/

Worth every penny in my view and better than a broken jaw!

Russell.
Posted by: john2502, December 7, 2017, 3:21pm; Reply: 2
I got ones from the TSSC shop which I was impressed with, did the job nicely.
Posted by: Radders, December 7, 2017, 3:49pm; Reply: 3
For many years I've used Draper spring compressors. unlike most spring clamps they have two 'claws' on each end as opposed to one.

I've never had one slip and never felt in danger by them flying off.
Posted by: vitessesteve, December 7, 2017, 3:49pm; Reply: 4
I bought my Triumph spring compressor from the maker who was supplying the TSSC shop at the time.

That Machinemart looks an impressive bit of kit.
Posted by: TedTaylor, December 7, 2017, 7:24pm; Reply: 5
Agree that the Machine Mart ones look impressive and being bench standing make working easier.

However I have used the type that Radders is talking about for some 15 years and always do the job fine ..... and mine have only a single 'claw' at the bottom though a double claw at the top!
Secret that I have found is to well grease the thread and the thrust areas to reduce friction and you should be fine.

And of course on ebay they only cost £25!  Although mine are fine at this price it makes me wonder about getting a twin double claw set ....... or checking if our local tool place has any at a similar price.

MUT
Posted by: dazzer, December 7, 2017, 7:33pm; Reply: 6
Top tip. Whatever you get don't use a windy gun to compress quickly.

I did as an apprentice on an SD1 spring and the nut sheared off and the spring made a bid for freedom over my shoulder.

... Just call me dangerous Dazzer!
Posted by: Nick Jones, December 7, 2017, 7:46pm; Reply: 7
The saloon ones are not that troublesome as I recall and the cheap, simple "bolt and claws" type works just fine.  The small chassis ones on the other hand...... :o  The TSSC style ones suit them well but I think the saloon spring would be too large for those?

Nick
Posted by: poppyman, December 7, 2017, 7:47pm; Reply: 8
You only use a windy gun on a spring compressor once :o :o :o
Still got the scar :B :B
Posted by: vitessesteve, December 7, 2017, 7:54pm; Reply: 9

The compressors with claws are great when you can not take the spring unit off the car.  I got mine at a show for the same price as a normal 2pc set without claws - bargain.  So if not in hurry may be worth waiting until you can get to a show or autojumble

https://photos.app.goo.gl/W63eT77m2HyxWrFw2
Posted by: WIMPUS, December 7, 2017, 8:14pm; Reply: 10
For the Fox my uncle made me a spring compressor (Spitfire/GT6/Herald) a good 2 years ago.
Used it maybe 3 times now, but works great ! ;)
Posted by: piman, December 7, 2017, 9:52pm; Reply: 11
Hello all,

for thos eof you who consider making a spring compressor, the run of the mill screwed rod is very low tensile. O.K. you can err on the side of going to a large diameter but high tensile screwed rod is available from places like engineering factors. The use of extra deep nuts is also a good idea.

Alec
Posted by: thescrapman, December 7, 2017, 11:56pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from poppyman
You only use a windy gun on a spring compressor once :o :o :o
Still got the scar :B :B

I use a windy gun on mine, just a brief blast on each one giving a couple of turns at a time.

Better than my old ones that i used to have to use inside a roll of carpet, I eventually lost a fence panel, and bought some new ones.
Posted by: Slimboyfat, December 8, 2017, 7:14am; Reply: 13
Quoted from vitessesteve
I bought my Triumph spring compressor from the maker who was supplying the TSSC shop at the time.

Steve

Not so, we have always had our own supplier.
Posted by: vitessesteve, December 8, 2017, 8:57am; Reply: 14
Dave I was just being lazy and using your Canley Classics image to save time.  I did not mean to imply that you had a link to the TSSC.  I bought my compressor from a chap who fabricated them and think at the time was supplying TSSC as well selling direct.
Posted by: TedTaylor, December 8, 2017, 9:54am; Reply: 15
I don't like the single hooked variety as they have a nasty habit of twisting and sliding round the spring.  My original bulky pair (from the 1970s) with heavy cast hook ends are confined to the not to be used relic corner of my tool cupboard, and I only use my slimline type single hook type (which are a better design) where the other double hook type cannot be used.

And like Colin I do use a windy gun on mine.  I may be MUT but realised early on like him that if used carefully they make the job so much easier if basic precautions are taken.  Short bursts, make sure they are fitted properly to the spring, ............. and keep your head back just in case.  

MUT
Posted by: JimEB, December 8, 2017, 4:08pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Radders
For many years I've used Draper spring compressors. unlike most spring clamps they have two 'claws' on each end as opposed to one.

I've never had one slip and never felt in danger by them flying off.

These ones, Radders?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380171401134
Posted by: TedTaylor, December 8, 2017, 6:22pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from JimEB

I know Radders will be along shortly but yep those are the ones.

MUT
Posted by: JimEB, December 8, 2017, 9:00pm; Reply: 18
Cheers Ted  :)
Posted by: Radders, December 9, 2017, 4:09am; Reply: 19
Quoted from JimEB

Yes, that's the type. They have a recess in the top of the nut to take a half inch drive ratchet as well.  :)
Print page generated: December 14, 2017, 8:09am