Fitting a new wiper 'wheelbox'... :: Triumph Torque

RH Classic Insurance

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fitting a new wiper 'wheelbox'...
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Fitting a new wiper 'wheelbox'...
Users Browsing Forum
Stuart Wilson and 26 Guests

Fitting a new wiper 'wheelbox'... Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Scimher
December 5, 2017, 9:08am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.23
At the moment I only have one wiper - on the passenger side. The teeth of the driver's side wheelbox appear to be virtually stripped so have acquired another which may be 'NOS', looking at it. Apart from the physical contortion of trying to get under the dash what are the problems of fitting it 'in situ'? The inner cable doesn't need removing does it?...(says he hopefully!!)

The MOT is due later this month & that is the main job to be done before being booked in...

Many thanks for any helpful comments, in advance...

The car is a late '64 1200 Herald...
Private Message
Antonnick
December 5, 2017, 10:02am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.20
just recently I removed the wiper assembly on my 13/60 for cleaning. By unbolting the wiper the whole unit can be removed and the inner cable Comes out with it no Problem once the wiper arms are taken off.

I suppose it is the unit on the RHS that you wish to replace where the wiper arm spline protudes ? To remove and replace this you do Need to withdraw the inner cable which can then be re-greased at the same time.

Is that what you meant?

Gott hüte mich vorm Sturm und Wind, und Autos ,die aus England sind
Private Message Reply: 1 - 11
Scimher
December 5, 2017, 10:56am Report to Moderator

Yes, Antonnick, I have already removed the inner cable - stupidly, I took the plate off the wiper motor & did some damage which I've bodged &, fortunately, the wiper motor appears to still work. I did it to try to rotate the gear teeth but that didn't work.....in fact, with both wiper blades off I can turn the driver's side wheelbox with finger & thumb - fairly conclusive proof that the teeth are well & truly jiggered. I've already soaked the inner cable in petrol & greased it...I was hoping that I could somehow fit the replacement wheelbox WITHOUT having to remove the inner cable from the bundy tube...  
Private Message Reply: 2 - 11
Bitumen Boy
December 5, 2017, 6:33pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Removing the cable from the tube isn't a bad job IIRC - once the wiper motor mountings are loose it just comes away complete, likely to be a bit dirty but that's about all. In any case if the wheelbox is knackered the cable could do with a careful inspection as well, that may want replacing too.
Private Message Reply: 3 - 11
Scimher
December 6, 2017, 3:39pm Report to Moderator

Last time I removed the inner cable I took the base plate off the motor unit & nearly jiggered it removing stuff so that I could release the cable......so the easiest way is to detach the wiper motor as a whole?......& there is definitely no way to fit the replacement wheelbox with the inner cable 'in situ'??

How do I know if the inner cable needs replacing?
Private Message Reply: 4 - 11
Bitumen Boy
December 6, 2017, 6:38pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.15
The way you've done it before sounds rather complex, if I may say so. Removing the motor assembly complete isn't too bad at all, in my experience at least - you simply wangle the motor out while pulling the cable out of the tube, after removing the wiper arms first of course.

As for the inner cable, it's made the same along its whole length - these were "universal" parts fitted to many different vehicles - so if you can see noticeably worn areas that correspond with the wheelbox positions, you'll have to make a judgement as to whether it's acceptable or not. Much the same systems are still available for fitting to kitcars so I guess the cables should still be available if you need one.
Private Message Reply: 5 - 11
RobPearce
December 6, 2017, 8:31pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.45
New inner cables are definitely available from the usual sources. They appear to be "universal" and may need to be trimmed (I had to chop five inches off the one I got for the GT6).

Current fleet
1967 Vitesse 2L conv "Tessa"
1970 Spitfire Mk3 (project) "Toby"
1972 GT6 Mk3
Not enough time or space
Recently sold:
1972 2.5 PI estate "Harry" (gone to russell on here)
1973 Toledo 2-door "Spike" (gone to a club official)
Used to have:
1968 Vitesse 2L saloon
1980 Dolomite 1500
1977 Dolomite 1850
1980 Dolomite Sprint
1982 TR7 DHC Sprint
1975 2500S saloon
1971 Herald 13/60 Estate (with 1500 Spit engine)
1975 Stag
Private Message Reply: 6 - 11
scotty71
December 7, 2017, 12:43pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.08
remember to leave the cover lose on the motor, this will allow the switch contacts to be reset. I made the mistake to screw it all together. when I switch the wipers on they, tried to go pass the windscreen on to the bonnet. leave the wipers off and let them stop at the bottom of the screen.
if they do not then adjust the contacts on the motor assembly.
Private Message Reply: 7 - 11
daver clasper
December 7, 2017, 8:35pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Hi

Scotty. Did you mean leave the wipers on to see where they drop? Bit confused.

Is the contacts setting different from the manual about setting drop, which from what I remember is about the rotation of the curved cover (maybe the same adjustment?).

Cheers, Dave  
Private Message Reply: 8 - 11
Pete Lewis
December 8, 2017, 12:39pm Report to Moderator

Tssc Herts and Beds A.O.
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.78
early motors with the dome cover  and sweeping switch can adjust the park by rotating the cover
later motors with a fixed  trip switch i believe are fixed.
best to leave the arms off if youve been meddling or you may wipe the bonnet

Pete

1964 1600 Vitesse 6 Cactus and Black , now  sold
now have T2000   Mk2 saloon in French Blue/grey trim  been  restored without running since 1997
now has power steering ,poly bushed and Alfa 156 seats
location  Luton
Private Message Reply: 9 - 11
daver clasper
December 8, 2017, 8:17pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Thanks

How do the arms remove off the splines please?.

Haynes says pull them off the splines and to refit, push down until they click into place.

Just wondering if they just pull off, or is there a tiny spring clip thingy that to be pushed in to release.

Cheers, Dave
Private Message Reply: 10 - 11
RobPearce
December 8, 2017, 8:25pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.45
There's a tiny spring clip thing that might, when it was young, have slid out of the notch as you pulled on the arm, but probably won't these days. A small screwdriver can be used to encourage it away from the spindle while simultaneously applying some assistance in pushing the arm off.

Current fleet
1967 Vitesse 2L conv "Tessa"
1970 Spitfire Mk3 (project) "Toby"
1972 GT6 Mk3
Not enough time or space
Recently sold:
1972 2.5 PI estate "Harry" (gone to russell on here)
1973 Toledo 2-door "Spike" (gone to a club official)
Used to have:
1968 Vitesse 2L saloon
1980 Dolomite 1500
1977 Dolomite 1850
1980 Dolomite Sprint
1982 TR7 DHC Sprint
1975 2500S saloon
1971 Herald 13/60 Estate (with 1500 Spit engine)
1975 Stag
Private Message Reply: 11 - 11
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Fitting a new wiper 'wheelbox'...

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread