Users Browsing Forum
Dave1360, TRock and 16 Guests

trunnionless uprights Print
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
mpbarrett
November 9, 2017, 9:45pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.26
I have brought a couple of Canelys trunnionless uprights from a GT6 (but never used).
So what do I need to fit them to my Herald 13/60?
I guess new hubs, stub axle, hubs, calliper and disks. Anything else, am I missing something?

cheers
mike

"Little Red", 13/60 Herald convertible with 1500 engine and O/D, (1/2 2007 10CR, 1/2 2009 10CR and 1 RBRR). March 2013 Back from darkest Norfolk and now very shiny.... 2017 rust coming thru again
"Little Blue", 2.5L GT6 mk3, Didnt do the 2009 10CR as it refuses��to leave East Anglia. Didnt finish 2010 RBRR due to vibration for propshaft and very doggy ignition. Finished the 2011 10CR, getting ready for the 2013 10CR. Broke down up a 2650M mountain. Now with new owner.
"Little Silver" Triumph Acclaim. Now owned by the editor of Triumph World. Since been sold on....
"Big Blue" 1972 blue TR6 the new toy Was fun one 10CR and a trip thru the Alps. Now in Wales.

Back to the Herald (about to get Megasquirted), Jag XK8 and a campervan.
Private Message
cliftyhanger
November 9, 2017, 10:18pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 2.24
The calliper carrier brackets
and don't forget wheel bearings,washers and nuts/bolts etc. Plus the brackets for the hard brake pipes used in the GT6, and shorter hoses. And decent pads....
And don't forget a 0.70 master cylinder....

You may also want to increase the size of the rear wheel cylinders to keep the brake balance correct  Saying that I ran my vitesse with herald rear brakes, and they still locked up when the brakes were prodded hard.

Clive Senior

Location-Brighton, East Sussex
Foxy is here, 1500od tax exempt Toledo. Now has the decent engine back in Slant 4 engine bolted in, sprint box and axle.Now has fresh MoT. Needs paint though.
Spitfire Zetec project is started work progressing slooooowly on the road!
Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 1 - 15
Nick Jones
November 9, 2017, 10:56pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 2.21
Yeah..... pretty much everything really.  The law of unintended consequences is always alert......  The carrier brackets can be hard to find.

Nick

Nick Jones
Somerset UK

Vitesse Mk 1.5 Convertible EFI, Survivor of RBRR 2008, HCR & 10CR 2009, HCR 2010, 10CR2011, HCR 2012, 10CR2013, 10CR2015, HCR 2016 & HCR 2017.
GT6 Mk3 Roto - project in progress
Spitfire MKIV son's project now on the road as a daily driver
2.5 PI Saloon now EFI (PIe?), Engine rebuilt and running sweet.  Diff howling...... Survivor of HCR 2013 & 2014 Gone to live in Swansea

http://www.tengaston.plus.com
Private Message Reply: 2 - 15
Drake
November 10, 2017, 12:16am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.20
Sounds pretty involved to make this swap - what's the thinking behind it? Have you suffered frequent problems with the trunnions?
Private Message Reply: 3 - 15
Alex
November 10, 2017, 7:37am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.34
The trunnions is the reliable bit..... the vertical link threaded section is the weak bit.
They have a tendency to snap. They must be inspected to make sure there is no sign of weakness. Fortunately they tend to break a low speeds due to extra strain of turning the steering.

Alex

Triumph spitfire 1500 white.....rbr04,06,2012,2014 and 2016

RBRR 2004,2006,2008,2010, 2012,2014 and 2016

Triumph spitfire 1500 Blue for sale.

Triumph Herald 1200 CV project.

Andover,Hants
Private Message Reply: 4 - 15
yorkshire_spam
November 10, 2017, 7:40am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Flog the gt6 kit to somebody and buy the herald/spit version? Sounds like less hassle to me.
Private Message Reply: 5 - 15
mpbarrett
November 10, 2017, 9:45am Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Quoted from yorkshire_spam
Flog the gt6 kit to somebody and buy the herald/spit version? Sounds like less hassle to me.

You might be right.
I brought the uprights very cheaply from someone on a boat forum who also had a GT6 but hadn't fitted them.
I have been tidying my garage, getting rid of all the old TR6 stuff, and 're-found' them on a shelve so was mussing about putting them on the Herald along with the bigger disks etc
I was going to fit them to my GT6 but don't have it anymore, in fact I sold it about 4 years ago.

cheers
mike

"Little Red", 13/60 Herald convertible with 1500 engine and O/D, (1/2 2007 10CR, 1/2 2009 10CR and 1 RBRR). March 2013 Back from darkest Norfolk and now very shiny.... 2017 rust coming thru again
"Little Blue", 2.5L GT6 mk3, Didnt do the 2009 10CR as it refuses��to leave East Anglia. Didnt finish 2010 RBRR due to vibration for propshaft and very doggy ignition. Finished the 2011 10CR, getting ready for the 2013 10CR. Broke down up a 2650M mountain. Now with new owner.
"Little Silver" Triumph Acclaim. Now owned by the editor of Triumph World. Since been sold on....
"Big Blue" 1972 blue TR6 the new toy Was fun one 10CR and a trip thru the Alps. Now in Wales.

Back to the Herald (about to get Megasquirted), Jag XK8 and a campervan.
Private Message Reply: 6 - 15
yorkshire_spam
November 10, 2017, 10:38am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Quoted from mpbarrett

You might be right.
I brought the uprights very cheaply from someone on a boat forum who also had a GT6 but hadn't fitted them.
I have been tidying my garage, getting rid of all the old TR6 stuff, and 're-found' them on a shelve so was mussing about putting them on the Herald along with the bigger disks etc
I was going to fit them to my GT6 but don't have it anymore, in fact I sold it about 4 years ago.
cheers
mike

Having them on my Spit really made a difference to my confidence on runs like the 10CR, very happy with them and would recommend them to anyone.... but with all the additional parts you'd need to fit them on the Herald vs what you could get for them on here or ebay set against the cost of a brand new herald/spit set.... I'd be considering it as an option.
Private Message Reply: 7 - 15
Rallyspit
November 10, 2017, 1:06pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.09
PM sent to original poster
Private Message Reply: 8 - 15
cliftyhanger
November 10, 2017, 4:34pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from yorkshire_spam

Even then you need to get the spitfire barrierbrackets (at least I believe so) as the are not cast as part of the upright. Again, not cheap.......
I would think buying a used set of GT6 front uprights complete would be a sensible plan. That would give you either usable parts or exchange items.

Clive Senior

Foxy is here, 1500od tax exempt Toledo. Now has the decent engine back in Slant 4 engine bolted in, sprint box and axle.Now has fresh MoT. Needs paint though.
Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 9 - 15
JumpingFrog
November 10, 2017, 6:33pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.02
Quoted from cliftyhanger

Even then you need to get the spitfire barrierbrackets (at least I believe so) as the are not cast as part of the upright. Again, not cheap.......
I would think buying a used set of GT6 front uprights complete would be a sensible plan. That would give you either usable parts or exchange items.

The Herald/Spitfire version of the trunnionless kit uses the one-piece disc brake vertical link, not the drum brake style one used on the Vittesse/GT6 and early Heralds.

But this makes a good point, there are of course Type 12/14 calliper mounts/brackets that fit the drum brake vertical link as used on early disc brake Heralds. This would let you keep your existing callipers - if you can find some.

1971 Herald 13/60 Saloon - Just about on the road.
1967 Herald 1200 Estate - Rebuild in progress, just about rolls - http://mongoltriumph.com
Private Message Reply: 10 - 15
Pete Lewis
November 11, 2017, 9:26am Report to Moderator

Tssc Herts and Beds A.O.
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.78
the uprights only fail due to lack of oil bath and corrosion sets in and cracks emanate from there.

being so unreliable ???  makes you wonder why they have lasted all these years probably with far less failures than modern ball joints and with the trunnion less you need to keep them well lubricated and also very Clean or they will also wear out ,much  better suited  on a track than covered in  every day road debris   and when someone decides where to cross the line with the latest ideas on modified cars is this a step you need to add to the confusion
Pete

1964 1600 Vitesse 6 Cactus and Black , now  sold
now have T2000   Mk2 saloon in French Blue/grey trim  been  restored without running since 1997
now has power steering ,poly bushed and Alfa 156 seats
location  Luton
Private Message Reply: 11 - 15
Drake
November 11, 2017, 11:52pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from Alex
The trunnions is the reliable bit..... the vertical link threaded section is the weak bit.
They have a tendency to snap. They must be inspected to make sure there is no sign of weakness. Fortunately they tend to break a low speeds due to extra strain of turning the steering.

Alex

Ah, I see, thanks. When researching my Herald purchase I found warnings about lubricating trunnions regularly on every buyer's guide or Triumph site but I assumed that if they were in good nick and correctly lubed then the links would be safe enough. I can see why one would want to remove a potential weakness (weak link?) but at the same time I have found in the past with other cars that new less predictable problems can be introduced while trying to work around the old ones with non-standard mods. I have also been down the road of swapping endless parts with lots of fettling and labour  
to achieve surprisingly little for my efforts and have vowed to keep things simple from now on, but then I am no engineer.

On the Herald I intended just to replace the vertical links (mine look sound but original) keep the trunnions oiled and leave it at that. I'll come back eating my words if the car ends up lying nose-down on a car park at some point...
Private Message Reply: 12 - 15
cliftyhanger
November 12, 2017, 7:06am Report to Moderator

Indeed if you fit new standard uprights and maintain them there is no reason to think they will not last many many years.
I fitted trunnionless as the price difference is surprisingly small, and my car does get a hard time.

Clive Senior

Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 13 - 15
Drake
November 13, 2017, 11:35pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from cliftyhanger
Indeed if you fit new standard uprights and maintain them there is no reason to think they will not last many many years.
I fitted trunnionless as the price difference is surprisingly small, and my car does get a hard time.

Thanks for the reply. I'm doing my best to give my car a hard time as well. It's done more miles in the last 3 months since I bought it as it had managed in the previous decade, though it has never been off the road as far as I know. Not a car destined to be a garage queen, in any case. It's presently wearing a lower-half respray of best Somerset mud and having the integrity of my DIY hood replacement thoroughly tested - if it thinks it's going to be allowed to hide in the workshop until the Spring, it's got another think coming.

I haven't introduced myself to the forum properly yet,  I will get around to it soon and post some pictures.
Private Message Reply: 14 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  trunnionless uprights

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread