Pneumatic quick connect  fittings. :: Triumph Torque

Triumph Parts Sign up for our Newsletter Rimmer Bros

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Pneumatic quick connect  fittings.
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Chit Chat Boards    Technical Chit-Chat  ›  Pneumatic quick connect  fittings.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 13 Guests

Pneumatic quick connect  fittings. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Spitfire6
November 2, 2017, 10:38pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.36
Hi,
I thought there was only one type of Pneumatic quick connect  fittings.
Now I find there is at least 3.

I bought a 6 L 12 volt compressor. Curly hose, leak down detector, digital tire inflation unit. All have different quick release connectors. All are 1/4", but some BSPP and others NPT.

Is there a Standard in the GB?

Cheers,
Iain

Me in Burnley, GB
Spitfire 6 EFI Alpha N (Emerald K3 ECU). Big fat 215/40/16's on the backside. (They fit and minimal camber change). (Custom cooling system); broken and going back to OEM,  with 20% EG for winter with 2% corrosion inhibitor. LED's all round. NT 5W40 Oil. 0W40 Mobil 1 FS, 3.27 diff with a LSD by Quaife. TR6 Transmission + J Type.

PUG 206CC 2L twin-Cam. NT 5W40 Oil
Automation and control systems engineer.
RIP Step-7 Classic. Long live Portal V14
IEEE Member
G6SBH
Yaesu FT 102 with all the extra's.

http://www.SpitFire6.UK               Main site- work in progress

Site Private Message Skype
poppyman
November 2, 2017, 10:50pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Hi Iain,

I dont think you will find anything standard in air line fittings anymore
There are to many "imports" If you are trying to make things fit what you have already got? it might be worth trying a plumbers merchant to make a reducer or to go oversize

Cheers,

Tony.
Private Message Reply: 1 - 9
dazzer
November 3, 2017, 6:45am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.38
Ive done a lot of pneumatic fittings in our bakery of recent, step ups, step downs different pieces of equipment from different countries. Yes variations and completely different from the type i used back in the 80s. You used to be able to just push connect and quick release. Now its all pull back collar and a bit cluncky and awkward, probably something to do with H&S. Anyway the best solution I found was pick and just use one engineering suppliers for everything, i even used some of the fittings for the 6 to 8mm fuel pipe steps on my Triumph. Cheers Darren

1965 2000 MK1 Rally project, HRCR rally championship, Hexham, 12 car night rallies, trials, autotests etc, etc.

1958 DKW 3-6 Coupe. Two stroke German rally contender, screaming demon! Where modern Audi originated from.

Private Message Reply: 2 - 9
Spitfire6
November 3, 2017, 9:35pm Report to Moderator

Hi,
I have bought an assortment of Euro fittings; male and female pointy bits and male and female hole things of EBay.
I should have enough parts now to connect! Also ordered a 1/4" drain and a water trap/regulator.
Wife understands all the money is spent to pump up mini me's bike tyres..

Euro, PCL, Asian, China and the rest probably.
The 6L 1/4Hp compressor better last!

Cheers,
Iain.

Me in Burnley, GB
Spitfire 6 EFI Alpha N (Emerald K3 ECU). Big fat 215/40/16's on the backside. (They fit and minimal camber change). (Custom cooling system); broken and going back to OEM,  with 20% EG for winter with 2% corrosion inhibitor. LED's all round. NT 5W40 Oil. 0W40 Mobil 1 FS, 3.27 diff with a LSD by Quaife. TR6 Transmission + J Type.

IEEE Member
G6SBH

Site Private Message Skype Reply: 3 - 9
piman
November 4, 2017, 10:34am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.01
Hello Iain,

your estimate is far short of the mark there are dozens and so many are the same style (Euro?) but slightly different dimesnsions. When I need to buy any more connectors, my local engineering supplier needs to have the ones I use to ensure that he supplies the correct one.

Al;ec

Oswestry, Shropshire.

Mk1 1\2 P.I.,Jaguar Mk 2, very long term restoration. Jaguar X Type estate 2.5, Hymer 564 motorhome.
Private Message Reply: 4 - 9
thebrookster
November 4, 2017, 11:24am Report to Moderator

Philip Brooks-Taylor
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Consider yourselves lucky, at least you are only fighting with Euro fittings.

We have an ongoing struggle with airhoses onboard, as the company have helpfully specified an American brand of quick release connectors we are allowed to use. Except the current ship only trades in the Med and the Black Sea, where we cannot source them!

You would not believe how much it costs to get them shipped across from America, or how long it takes to get them! Which is then further complicated when they send the wrong bloody ones lol. We have on occasion been reduced down to having less than half a dozen usable hoses onboard for both deck and engine. Us engineers tend to win that fight though, I have control of the valve for air to deck  

Cheers,

Phil

1973 Triumph Herald Convertible 1360 - Restoration Project - Yet to be started
1967 Triumph 2000 Mk1 Saloon - Currently awaiting more stopping power!
Site Private Message Windows Live Messenger Reply: 5 - 9
Spitfire6
November 4, 2017, 5:06pm Report to Moderator

Hi,
Will the assortment of male/female Males and male/female Euro connectors arrived.
Subtle differences, but enough that they only mate with each other & nothing else.

So, yes, there appears to be many different types out there. More than the three I thought.

Happy days,
Iain.

Me in Burnley, GB

IEEE Member
G6SBH

Site Private Message Skype Reply: 6 - 9
JohnD
November 4, 2017, 5:23pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.51
Near me, this company has very helpful counter staff, who will look for matching connectors, and have a large stock.

http://www.furnessfluidpower.co.uk/

Burnley not that far, but Google found me three companies there that deal in hydraulics.
John

Serial Vitesse racer.

Old Blue.  1995-2001
Silverback. 2001-2007
SofS. 2007 - to date.

Private Message Reply: 7 - 9
Spitfire6
November 4, 2017, 6:10pm Report to Moderator

Hi John,
Cheers. I should be OK for now with all the ends I have accumulated!

Now to contend with NPT, BPPP and probably BPPT thrown in the mix. Plenty of PTFE & monkey hair should sort it I guess. Loktite thread lock gel type is another option.

Thanks all,
Iain.

Me in Burnley, GB

IEEE Member
G6SBH

Site Private Message Skype Reply: 8 - 9
Nick Jones
November 5, 2017, 11:07pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 2.21
There are quite a few areas of engineering where there are so many competing standards that the point of having standards in the first place is almost lost.

Airline connectors are one of the worst afflicted and when you roll the possible thread variations on the other end into the equation, madness becomes a real risk  

Nick

Nick Jones
Somerset UK

Vitesse Mk 1.5 Convertible EFI, Survivor of RBRR 2008, HCR & 10CR 2009, HCR 2010, 10CR2011, HCR 2012, 10CR2013, 10CR2015, HCR 2016 & HCR 2017.
GT6 Mk3 Roto - project in progress
Spitfire MKIV son's project now on the road as a daily driver
2.5 PI Saloon now EFI (PIe?), Engine rebuilt and running sweet.  Diff howling...... Survivor of HCR 2013 & 2014 Gone to live in Swansea

http://www.tengaston.plus.com
Private Message Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Chit Chat Boards    Technical Chit-Chat  ›  Pneumatic quick connect  fittings.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread