Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Hinge plates
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 17 Guests

Hinge plates Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Matt Neale
October 31, 2017, 7:46am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.04
The threads of the captive hinge plates for the drivers door have shredded.  Only one thread still works and as a result the door is sagging.  Has anyone got a solution that isn't too drastic.  I don't think I can get to them.  Can I use a tap and die set to re tread the plates?  Has anyone done this?

Site Private Message
JohnD
October 31, 2017, 9:04am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.51
Yes, I have.    Use a suitably sized drill to remove the old threads and retap for a larger bolt.
From memory the OE bolts are 5/16" and the holes on the hinge plates are big enough for 3/8"
This (and other) sites give the right sized drill for the next size of tap: http://www.prescottengineering.co.nz/Tap%20drill%20sizes.pdf
It gives the correct drill size for a 3/8" tap as 21/64", a size you may not have in your drill set, but 8mm is near as dammit. (40 thou as near)

John

Serial Vitesse racer.

Old Blue.  1995-2001
Silverback. 2001-2007
SofS. 2007 - to date.

Private Message Reply: 1 - 3
Pete Lewis
October 31, 2017, 10:58am Report to Moderator

Tssc Herts and Beds A.O.
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.78
the caged plates are very thin and doesnt take much to strip the threads , they dont like a lot of work, ive tapped oversize in 8mm metric and 3/8unf , if in real trouble you can hole saw  the a post and get a socket with a nut on the back of the plate, bit extreme ,  
if its the door captive you can with the cards off  fiddle a nut on the back , you may need to drill through the cage
and with bigger bolts you need to open up the hinge holes , it will restrict some adjustment movement.

Pete

1964 1600 Vitesse 6 Cactus and Black , now  sold
now have T2000   Mk2 saloon in French Blue/grey trim  been  restored without running since 1997
now has power steering ,poly bushed and Alfa 156 seats
location  Luton
Private Message Reply: 2 - 3
MarkB
November 2, 2017, 11:13pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.20
I've removed the captive plates from several cars that I broke. Long time ago but don't recall it being that hard. Think it involved levering part of the cage out of the way and sliding the plate out. Personally I would replace the plates and not drill and re-tap to a larger size especially more than one as you will reduce the amount of adjustment when refitting and lining up the door. In my experience these kinds of mods have a knock on effect.

Mark
Private Message Reply: 3 - 3
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Hinge plates

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread