Herald Saloon - No B-Post? :: Triumph Torque

RH Classic Insurance

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Herald Saloon - No B-Post?
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Herald Saloon - No B-Post?
Users Browsing Forum
nang and 17 Guests

Herald Saloon - No B-Post? Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Anthony
October 29, 2017, 3:28am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.53
I'm toying with the idea of buying a Herald Saloon and am currently educating myself on the differences that occurred throughout production.

During my reading I found some interesting pictures of cars without B-Posts. Was this something that came out of the factory, or has it been done by the car's owners?

Also, I've seen mention of being able to remove the roof from a Saloon and 'convert' it into a convertible (albeit unsafely)
I'd like to know, is it possible do do it the other way round? i.e. If I were to buy a convertible could I bolt on a hardtop, and what modifications/problems would I encounter?

This post contains attachments; to download them you must login.

Hello - My Name Is Anthony - And I'm A Polisher

I Hate Being Bipolar!  -  It's AWESOME!!

ADN 986K - Triumph GT6 MKIII - KE2132 - "The Everlasting Project"
Future 10CR & RBRR Entrant

Private Message
rustbuckit2011
October 29, 2017, 3:51am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.05
Hi mate,
That car should have a b post- every saloon should have them, as you cant fit the rear glass without it. The posts unbolt from the roof- on this car the owner has just not fitted them as they probably have the roof off quite often.
Unfortunately it is not possible to fit a standard roof to a convertible due to a number of differences in the body- you can however buy aftermarket coupe-like hard tops in fiberglass either secondhand from ebay or new from a company called honeybourne

1960 Herald Coupe Replica - mazda, datsun, and all over the garage floor
1964 Herald 1200 coupe - standard.

https://www.facebook.com/rust.buckit.94
Private Message Reply: 1 - 4
Pete Lewis
October 29, 2017, 4:47pm Report to Moderator

Tssc Herts and Beds A.O.
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.78
To  add the deck infront of the boot is much deeper on a cv than a saloon, so a cv with roof wont be able to accept the saloon seats  the list is ....long
a cv rear deck wont have the lugs to take the B post, and may not have the seat belt achors on the waist rail.
as for the missing b post I would advise fitting the tongue and hasp required on a Cv to stop the doors self opening on roundabouts and rough roadsfitting

a roof to a cv needs the top capping of the screen aperture removing and adding a small flange as both quite different
as suggested honeybourne is the simplest way of adding a roof to a cv.
pete

1964 1600 Vitesse 6 Cactus and Black , now  sold
now have T2000   Mk2 saloon in French Blue/grey trim  been  restored without running since 1997
now has power steering ,poly bushed and Alfa 156 seats
location  Luton
Private Message Reply: 2 - 4
Drake
October 29, 2017, 8:53pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.21
Usefully, Triumph produced Heralds with or without a roof so you don't really have a problem - just buy the variant you prefer!
Private Message Reply: 3 - 4
Nick Jones
October 29, 2017, 9:19pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 2.21
Well yes.... but.....

The convertibles are very nice when the weather's good enough for topless motoring (no smut at the back - you know what I mean) and ok for pottering about with the top up.  They are noisy at speed though (and very noisy at higher speed), a little dark inside and not particularly waterproof.

The saloons have a wonderfully light and airy cabin (considering it's only a little car after all), are quieter at speed and usually fairly waterproof.  The roof does come off as well and getting it off is pretty quick and easy for two people.  Putting it back properly, a bit less so, but still not that much worse than fitting a Spitfire or Stag hardtop.  The catch comes when it rains and you've left your roof at the campsite, 30 miles away......

The saloons have a bit more back seat space but still hardly generous, or even sufficient for a full-grown human.

On my project list (though a little way down) is making a hardtop for my Vitesse from a saloon roof.  I have a Honeybourne roof, but I don't much like it.

Nick

Nick Jones
Somerset UK

Vitesse Mk 1.5 Convertible EFI, Survivor of RBRR 2008, HCR & 10CR 2009, HCR 2010, 10CR2011, HCR 2012, 10CR2013, 10CR2015, HCR 2016 & HCR 2017.
GT6 Mk3 Roto - project in progress
Spitfire MKIV son's project now on the road as a daily driver
2.5 PI Saloon now EFI (PIe?), Engine rebuilt and running sweet.  Diff howling...... Survivor of HCR 2013 & 2014 Gone to live in Swansea

http://www.tengaston.plus.com
Private Message Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Herald Saloon - No B-Post?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread