Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 16 Guests

LHD conversion Print
2 Pages « 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Antonnick
November 21, 2017, 2:13pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.19
Next Problem.

I have refitted or rahter put in Position the new steering rack I got from Rimmers. The grease nippel plug seems to be M7 thread - a very strange size, but that is by the way.

I really should have checked before I took the old unit off but now I have the "locating plates" which are bolted to the "U" bolt Arrangement in the Hand.

But I cannot tell from any of the exploded views or Pictures available whether These plates go on top of the flanges of the Chassis or indeed underneath.   The Manual makes it known that the distance between the flanges on the U-bolt Arrangement and that on the steering rack itself should be 3mm but how important this  Dimension is?

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Gott hüte mich vorm Sturm und Wind, und Autos ,die aus England sind
Private Message Reply: 15 - 23
RobPearce
November 21, 2017, 3:51pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.45
The plates with the diagonal slots go underneath the chassis where the lateral slots are. The idea is to butt them against the folded down bit of the chassis to help hold the U-clamps in place.
The 3mm dimension is a maximum, really. My approach is to clamp the flanges together with mole grips to compress the rubbers on both sides (four grips used simultaneously) then tighten the clamps down to the book torque (having first slid both the diagonal-slot plates into place) before removing the grips.

Current fleet
1967 Vitesse 2L conv "Tessa"
1970 Spitfire Mk3 (project) "Toby"
1972 GT6 Mk3
Not enough time or space
Recently sold:
1972 2.5 PI estate "Harry" (gone to russell on here)
1973 Toledo 2-door "Spike" (gone to a club official)
Used to have:
1968 Vitesse 2L saloon
1980 Dolomite 1500
1977 Dolomite 1850
1980 Dolomite Sprint
1982 TR7 DHC Sprint
1975 2500S saloon
1971 Herald 13/60 Estate (with 1500 Spit engine)
1975 Stag
Private Message Reply: 16 - 23
Antonnick
November 21, 2017, 4:14pm Report to Moderator

Many  many thanks - I will get on with it now

Private Message Reply: 17 - 23
Einar
November 24, 2017, 7:04pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.07
Have you solved the «Y-piece» issue? I ran into the same problem and extended the RH a bit with two simple flat iron around ½” wide and 1½”  - 2” long. Turned them into correct position, fitted them to the bracket just under the windscreen and tightened. That worked very well, however I located a LH-one after some years and changed it. Anyway, the (temporary) solution worked out very well. There are some pics of the LHD-conversion at this link, but not very informative according to details: http://vitesse.no/Garage%202006-2007.html

Einar
Norway
1964 Vitesse 6 Conv., 2l engine, OD, LHD, Red
http://www.vitesse.no
Private Message Reply: 18 - 23
Antonnick
November 25, 2017, 2:03am Report to Moderator

I have only solved the issue in my mind using steel tube etc, similar to the design for the 1200 Herald Version. But I am very grateful for the link to your on conversion which is so detailed and inspirational. At the Moment I am in China on Business for a few weeks so will not be able to do any more work for a while, perhaps no more this year  

I do not have the fixed attachments on the LHS but have thought about Fixing two steel angle pieces to bolt on to.

In any case, I am thinking about completely removing the whole facia in order to get better Access to the area.

Private Message Reply: 19 - 23
Einar
November 25, 2017, 11:44am Report to Moderator

I was in a bit «better» situation as the car was originally LHD (Swiss car) and converted to RHD when imported to UK during the early 90’s. The bracket/fixing attachment on the LHS was therefor still there. As far as I can remember I though “lucky me” as I did not need to weld on a new bracket. Further – as I remember – the facia need to be removed to get access to this. However, it is more than 10 years ago I did the conversion, so I do not remember it all. Good luck with your work, and just get in touch if you have question – I may be able to remember specific issues and provide help. However, apart from this welding/bracket issues (which I partly was save for) the conversion was straight forward – no major problems, just to calm down, take my time and be patient. FYI I also had the LHD facia and wooden plate from the previous owner – that also eased the conversion of course.

Einar
Norway
Private Message Reply: 20 - 23
Antonnick
November 29, 2017, 2:44am Report to Moderator

Hallo Eimar,

firstly greetings from China - and that is why it seems I am writing this at 3 o'clock in the morning! Before I left the snow behind in my village, I re-routed  (or tried to) the speedo cable . Because the attachment to the Gearbox is on the RHS, it seems the cable will not be Long enough. Did you have this Problem?

Private Message Reply: 21 - 23
RobPearce
November 29, 2017, 10:51am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.45
I think the speedo cable is different between LHD and RHD for exactly that reason.

Current fleet
1967 Vitesse 2L conv "Tessa"
1970 Spitfire Mk3 (project) "Toby"
1972 GT6 Mk3
Not enough time or space
Recently sold:
1972 2.5 PI estate "Harry" (gone to russell on here)
1973 Toledo 2-door "Spike" (gone to a club official)
Used to have:
1968 Vitesse 2L saloon
1980 Dolomite 1500
1977 Dolomite 1850
1980 Dolomite Sprint
1982 TR7 DHC Sprint
1975 2500S saloon
1971 Herald 13/60 Estate (with 1500 Spit engine)
1975 Stag
Private Message Reply: 22 - 23
Einar
November 29, 2017, 8:52pm Report to Moderator

Hi, no I didn’t experience that problem. I was prepared to change this and some wiring, however I concluded – at that time - that they have kept the original LHD cables and wiring (when converted from LHD to RHD in the UK) – but not sure. Anyway – as far as I remember everything fitted very well – no need for any modifications. However, I recall that I got in touch with Rimmer or Canley classics but they replied that the speed cable were identical for LHD and RHD (hope I remember correct). I’ve changed the tacho cable to the distributor as it was far too long. I had it tailor made at Canley Classics. Maybe they can also tailor make the speedo cable – if necessary.

Einar
Norway
Private Message Reply: 23 - 23
2 Pages « 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  LHD conversion

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread