Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 18 Guests

sport exhaust Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Sneillyboy
October 22, 2017, 1:54pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.01
hi Guys

have just purchased a lovely 71 convertible. However the sport exhaust that is fitted is SO noisy it is driving me nuts !!  Its a twin pipe system with an additional in line silencer in the main system before the split

Love the look of it but need to quiten things down a bit !

any suggestions??

cheers
Private Message
Mark Hammond
October 22, 2017, 2:47pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.22
'71 convertible what?  Vitesse or Herald?

Mark

Herald 1200 Saloon, owned (in the family) from new, Royal Blue/Black trim
[color=purple]MX-5 Z-Sport (Tweaked to 200bhp)2007,
Suzuki Vitara S Auto, Cosmic Black, 2017.
Private Message Reply: 1 - 5
Drake
October 22, 2017, 5:55pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.20
Assuming you have a 13/60:

A herald convertible is noisy enough at speed as standard - with the hood up, it's like sitting inside a snare drum at 60 -  so I can appreciate that a noisy exhaust is a terrible idea for an 'upgrade'.

Standard single-pipe systems are still freely available and not particularly costly, and I expect someone would buy your current system from you if you eBay-ed it. Rimmers sell a mild steel standard kit for £80 which is what my 13/60 has, fitted by the last owner. The sound at low speeds is the typical 70's 4-cylinder rasp from times gone by - a friendly kind of note  but still with more character and decibels than a modern car. At speed it's not quiet by any means but I don't find it gives me a headache or makes me angry / tired even over a long drive.

Rimmers (and the other big sellers) also have a stainless version for £150 but I have no idea about the acoustics - I assume it would be markedly quieter than your 'sport' system but sometimes the stainless ones do seem to start quiet and get noisier with age, at least I have found that with other cars. I won't be going down that route myself for as long as mild steel systems are still available for Heralds as I prefer the original sound-track (and smiling looks rather than cross ones from pedestrians).
Private Message Reply: 2 - 5
Rosbif
October 22, 2017, 6:04pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.35
My 13/60  convirtible has the standard mild steel system which my neibough says makes it stand out from other cars in the village. I think he likes the sound. When driving, with hood down, I don't find it loud. With the hood up it's other sounds that bother me  

Ruby : 1968 13/60 convertible
"I'm not rich enough to buy cheap"

"If it isn't broken don't fix it" - where's the fun in that?
Private Message Reply: 3 - 5
Sneillyboy
October 22, 2017, 7:11pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.01
sorry guys should have added Vitesse !
Private Message Reply: 4 - 5
Nick Jones
October 22, 2017, 8:50pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 2.21
The twin pipe "wheel barrow" systems are made by various suppliers and some are noisier than others.  If yours is unbearable even with the centre box then it'll be one of the noisier ones.

Way forward depends what you want to end up with, whether your Vitesse is a Mk1 or Mk2 and whether it has a tubular manifold fitted.

Standard pattern systems are available from various places. There are also "semi-sport" options from some places.  I have a "sports" back box from Canley Classics on mine (Mk2 for exhaust purposes)

Nick

Nick Jones
Somerset UK

Vitesse Mk 1.5 Convertible EFI, Survivor of RBRR 2008, HCR & 10CR 2009, HCR 2010, 10CR2011, HCR 2012, 10CR2013, 10CR2015, HCR 2016 & HCR 2017.
GT6 Mk3 Roto - project in progress
Spitfire MKIV son's project now on the road as a daily driver
2.5 PI Saloon now EFI (PIe?), Engine rebuilt and running sweet.  Diff howling...... Survivor of HCR 2013 & 2014 Gone to live in Swansea

http://www.tengaston.plus.com
Private Message Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  sport exhaust

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread