Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Sunvisors and Crossed flags
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 18 Guests

Sunvisors and Crossed flags Print
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
Lundyosprey
October 19, 2017, 4:20pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.01
As sunvisors for the Herald do not seem to be available now, has anybody fitted ones from other Triumph models.
I know that the supports need adapting but should not pose to much of a problem.
Also looking for a pair of Crossed Flags, Rimmers are £31 ea and James Paddocks are £18 ea.
Canleys no longer stock them due to the poor quality of the reproduction ones.
I assume that the ones from both Rimmers and Paddocks are repro ones as well and would think that Rimmers for that price would bo of good quality.
Would bo good to hear of anyone’s experience of either or any company that may make them.
Seem to recall a company that made badges for classics.
Steve
Private Message
pimp my vit
October 19, 2017, 7:08pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rimmers are very good at price matching, go to the link on their website...

1967 2.0 Mk 1 Vitesse in bits since year 2000
Fortune spent and still spending
Private Message Reply: 1 - 18
herald948
October 20, 2017, 4:50pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.47
One of the biggest problems with any and all repro badges is the fact that they almost always seem to get the pin spacing wrong. If you don't mind desecrating your bodywork with extra holes, many of the repros are quite satisfactory-ish otherwise.  

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph Herald engine with wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22)
http://triumph-herald.us
Site Private Message AIM Reply: 2 - 18
RibbedRoof63
October 21, 2017, 7:40pm Report to Moderator

I got some flags from rimmers and the pin spacing was perfect, fit straight into the original holes.
Only differences I could see were that the originals had a black center instead of blue and were slightly thicker.
Private Message Reply: 3 - 18
herald948
October 21, 2017, 11:51pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.47
Quoted from RibbedRoof63
I got some flags from rimmers and the pin spacing was perfect, fit straight into the original holes.
Only differences I could see were that the originals had a black center instead of blue and were slightly thicker.

Good to know that some repros actually fit! I'm not sure what you mean by black center v. blue center, though?

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph Herald engine with wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22)
http://triumph-herald.us
Site Private Message AIM Reply: 4 - 18
Rosbif
October 22, 2017, 9:03am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.35
I've just been to look at the ones on my car, they are old and most of the white enamel has gone the red is dull and the "square" is dark but I think it would have been blue not black originally.

I'm following this thread because I want to renovate mine or replace them. I would prefer to renovate the ones fitted, which I assume to be the originals. Hence a confirmation on the original colour is important to me. I assume I can simply & carefully pull of the flags, repaint (ideally with some sort of enamel paint) and refit without having to replace the retainers?

Ruby : 1968 13/60 convertible
"I'm not rich enough to buy cheap"

"If it isn't broken don't fix it" - where's the fun in that?
Private Message Reply: 5 - 18
benblaney
October 22, 2017, 8:39pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Quoted from herald948
One of the biggest problems with any and all repro badges is the fact that they almost always seem to get the pin spacing wrong. If you don't mind desecrating your bodywork with extra holes, many of the repros are quite satisfactory-ish otherwise.  

That's exactly the problem I had.  My car had some perfect crossed flags on it when I picked it up from Canley's.  When it arrived in New York, they had disappeared.  New ones from Rimmer's didn't fit.  Still trying to decide what to do.

--
Ben Blaney
Triumph Herald 1200 Coupe, Infiniti QX56, Ford Mustang, Honda 400 Four, Kawasaki 750 Turbo
Private Message Skype Reply: 6 - 18
RibbedRoof63
October 28, 2017, 10:32pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from herald948

Good to know that some repros actually fit! I'm not sure what you mean by black center v. blue center, though?

Black Flag (original)

Blue Flag (Repo)

Anyone know what colour is correct?

Private Message Reply: 7 - 18
Rosbif
October 29, 2017, 9:49am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Mine are like those in your photo "black flag" although as I mentioned they look to be very dark blue rather than black.

Another difference? in the black flag version there is no gap between the "sticks?" and flags, on the repros it looks as if there is a gap. Mine don't have the gap.

I am definitely going to repaint mine rather than replace them, even if I won't get a professional finish. Humbrol here I come...

Private Message Reply: 8 - 18
Casper
October 29, 2017, 9:52am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.24
Blue - I guess the original is very dark blue.  The flag is a nautical S flag.   The other is a V.  The emblem was used on many cars designed by Vignale.  Although Michelotti designed the Herald himself he also worked for Vignale and was doings so when he designed the Phase III Vanguard which also has the flags.  Search forums for other threads in this.  Different people have other theories.
I'm not impressed by the moulding of the 'new' versions.
C.

Herald Anorak
Private Message Reply: 9 - 18
RibbedRoof63
October 29, 2017, 11:04am Report to Moderator

Beggar's can't be choosers, i'm just happy they still make them.

Does anyone know how i could repair my originals? One of the flags is broken in half at the X between the flags, tried to glue it together but didn't have much luck and wasn't keen on heating it up.
Private Message Reply: 10 - 18
Casper
October 29, 2017, 4:36pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.24
I would suggest ebay, but I have just searched and the prices are silly.  I think they are brass so should solder, but it wouldn't be easy.  Lead solder melts about 200degC.  Vitreous enamel (which it is) about 750degC.  Any heating would need to be done gradually to prevent the enamel from cracking.
C.

Herald Anorak
Private Message Reply: 11 - 18
Bitumen Boy
October 29, 2017, 9:14pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Quoted from Casper
I would suggest ebay, but I have just searched and the prices are silly.  I think they are brass so should solder, but it wouldn't be easy.  Lead solder melts about 200degC.  Vitreous enamel (which it is) about 750degC.  Any heating would need to be done gradually to prevent the enamel from cracking.
C.

You can get solder which melts at as little as (IIRC) 70 deg C. Used by modelmakers for soldering whitemetal castings, but could be ideal for this sort of job.

Private Message Reply: 12 - 18
Lundyosprey
October 31, 2017, 7:20am Report to Moderator

As in post 7 Rimmers show the flags looking like the original ones.
The colour looks  dark blue and there are no gaps either, so although more expensive look original and good quality.
Private Message Reply: 13 - 18
Rosbif
October 31, 2017, 9:16am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Quoted from Lundyosprey
As in post 7 Rimmers show the flags looking like the original ones.
The colour looks  dark blue and there are no gaps either, so although more expensive look original and good quality.

I personally wouldn't be 100% certain the photo used does reflect the actual version being offered. I would ask them before ordering to be certain. They ought to be better than those offered by Paddock's as they are much more expensive. Having said that I have bought several items from Paddock's and have always been pleased with them.

Private Message Reply: 14 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Sunvisors and Crossed flags

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread