Users Browsing Forum
bim, Dave1360, Yahoo! Bot and 12 Guests

Faulty Oil Filter ? or What Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
midgeman
October 16, 2017, 9:35pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.15
Hi all

I decided to change the Oil & Filter on the 13/60 Saturday morning but all did not go according to plan.

Usually takes 1/2 to 1 Hour tops but after draining and refilling Oil removing and replacing with new Filter (HAND TIGHT) I started the Engine and Oil literally poured out from around the filter (not a trickle) it poured out. Thinking I had not tightened enough I applied a little more effort to said Filter again by hand but this made no difference so I thought perhaps it was a poor rubber seal so swapped the seal from old filter to new and tried again but no luck and I ended up fitting the OLD Filter (not ideal I know) and it sealed first time.

So I am inclined to think that the NEW Classic Gold GFE 150 Filter was faulty in some way I believe that these Filter's have a one way valve inside so could it be that the valve was stuck causing the pressure to build up and forcing Oil out via the seal I have used these Filter's before and not had any problems.

Has anyone else experienced this problem.

Your views would be most welcome

1971 Herald 13/60 Convertible (Relaxation)

2014 Ford Focus Zetec S (Daily Transport)

2017 Triumph Street Triple RX (Adrenaline)
Private Message
Nick Jones
October 16, 2017, 9:55pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 2.21
From your description it must be a fault with the new filter.  We have had a couple of the "Classic Gold" filters on our Spitfire and while the first seemed fine in all respects, the second had no anti-drain action whatever, so quality is definitely variable.

Could it have been coming from the crimped join where the base meets the body of the can?  This is an occasional failure point even on highly respected brands.

I'd return it to the supplier as faulty.  Unfortunately the oddball (today) 5/8" thread size makes choice a bit limited.  If you can find a supplier for 5/8" to 3/4" adaptors you'll be opening the door to a huge range of choices and doing yourself a huge favour.  They are readily available and cheap in the US, but not cheap to import and harder to find here.  Clive supplied ours - maybe he has one left?

Nick

Nick Jones
Somerset UK

Vitesse Mk 1.5 Convertible EFI, Survivor of RBRR 2008, HCR & 10CR 2009, HCR 2010, 10CR2011, HCR 2012, 10CR2013, 10CR2015, HCR 2016 & HCR 2017.
GT6 Mk3 Roto - project in progress
Spitfire MKIV son's project now on the road as a daily driver
2.5 PI Saloon now EFI (PIe?), Engine rebuilt and running sweet.  Diff howling...... Survivor of HCR 2013 & 2014 Gone to live in Swansea

http://www.tengaston.plus.com
Private Message Reply: 1 - 8
cliftyhanger
October 17, 2017, 6:00am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 2.24
Yep, I have one (or maybe 2 if memory serves me well)
Means you can have the choice of loads of filters from your local supplier, or indeed the excellent Mann filters with double anti-drain valves which do really work.

Clive Senior

Location-Brighton, East Sussex
Foxy is here, 1500od tax exempt Toledo. Now has the decent engine back in Slant 4 engine bolted in, sprint box and axle.Now has fresh MoT. Needs paint though.
Spitfire Zetec project is started work progressing slooooowly on the road!
Private Message Reply: 2 - 8
mpbarrett
October 17, 2017, 7:37am Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.26
I know someone who had a new (6 months) E class Merc.
Had a full service including oil and filter change. Starts to drive up M4 towards London, outside lane, filters splits, engine looses all the oil and seizes.
Stuck in fast lane and the police had to shut the M4 while his car was recovered!
MB accepted filter was faulty and had to replace engine...

mike

"Little Red", 13/60 Herald convertible with 1500 engine and O/D, (1/2 2007 10CR, 1/2 2009 10CR and 1 RBRR). March 2013 Back from darkest Norfolk and now very shiny.... 2017 rust coming thru again
"Little Blue", 2.5L GT6 mk3, Didnt do the 2009 10CR as it refuses��to leave East Anglia. Didnt finish 2010 RBRR due to vibration for propshaft and very doggy ignition. Finished the 2011 10CR, getting ready for the 2013 10CR. Broke down up a 2650M mountain. Now with new owner.
"Little Silver" Triumph Acclaim. Now owned by the editor of Triumph World. Since been sold on....
"Big Blue" 1972 blue TR6 the new toy Was fun one 10CR and a trip thru the Alps. Now in Wales.

Back to the Herald (about to get Megasquirted), Jag XK8 and a campervan.
Private Message Reply: 3 - 8
midgeman
October 17, 2017, 1:38pm Report to Moderator

Thanks for the replies I have sent a PM to Clive Senior

Private Message Reply: 4 - 8
Bitumen Boy
October 19, 2017, 9:30am Report to Moderator
Club Member
I've had problems with a filter branded Classic Gold - in this instance, poor oil pressure once hot. Filter changed for NOS and no further problems. Classic Gold best avoided if possible IMO.
Private Message Reply: 5 - 8
midgeman
October 19, 2017, 9:52am Report to Moderator

I think your correct looks like they are not consistent in the quality department. I have ordered a thread adaptor from Clive so will in future have a better choice of Filters to choose from looks like Mann Filters are the preferred choice with some members unless you know of others.

I would be interested to know what vehicle these other Filters are listed for as none of the Motor Factors I know of list anything for our type of vehicle.

Many thanks for your reply.
Quoted from Bitumen Boy
I've had problems with a filter branded Classic Gold - in this instance, poor oil pressure once hot. Filter changed for NOS and no further problems. Classic Gold best avoided if possible IMO.

Private Message Reply: 6 - 8
yorkshire_spam
October 20, 2017, 11:51am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.87
I use a Mann W713/9 - which is Eurocar Parts P/N 501670049 I think it's originally a land rover filter. (Might be TD5 vehicles, but not 100% sure)
Private Message Reply: 7 - 8
herald948
October 20, 2017, 4:48pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.47
With that wonderful 5/8" - 3/4" adapter, I've used many different filters over the years here in the US, among them AC's PF-13, Fram's PH-16 or even Ford/Motorcraft's FL1-A. It was great when I had all my 140 series Volvos and/or my Saab 99, as nearly everything I drove took the same filter! I still stock up on the AC PF-13 whenever I can.

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph Herald engine with wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22)
http://triumph-herald.us
Site Private Message AIM Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Faulty Oil Filter ? or What

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread