Head Replacement? :: Triumph Torque

RH Classic Insurance

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Head Replacement?
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Head Replacement?
Users Browsing Forum
Dave1360, Googlebot and 17 Guests

Head Replacement? Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Dave1360
October 6, 2017, 1:33pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.07
I'm just looking for a bit of advice regarding the head on my Vitesse 6.  The head gasket failed last weekend so I've now got the head on the bench.  Removing a couple of valves, there's enough play to suggest it needs new valve guides.  Presumably this would mean new valve seats too?  I can't see any valve seats in there so it may be the original surface.  The valves are pretty manky looking too and the sealing angles look concave.

What's the best course of action?  I could send it off to an engineering shop and get everything replaced, but I haven't a clue on the price of such work.  Or a recon head from the likes of Canleys is tempting if the price difference isn't too significant.  I assume these would just be a bolt on job with everything pre-assembled and the valves lapped in.  It's not a case of money being no object, but equally I don't really fancy throwing it all back together as is and doing the job again any time soon.

Thanks, Dave
Logged Online
Private Message
JohnD
October 6, 2017, 2:26pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.51
If there is ANY play in the guides, new guidesz needed.   And probably new valves -  worn heads, too? Deffo he valves.
New seat?  Not necessarily, but worn valve heads, and steel exhaust seats while the head is off, anyway, to give peace of mind on leadless fuel.

But why did the gasket fail?   Check face with straight edge and a bright light.  Will show up a corroded surface, or where the gases have eroded it and will fail again.   Worth a skim, even if you dont want to raise compression, to ensure a flat face.    How is the block face?

If your engine is this old and worn at the top, it gotta be as bad below.   Rebuild with new bearings and thrust bearing vs too.

John

Serial Vitesse racer.

Old Blue.  1995-2001
Silverback. 2001-2007
SofS. 2007 - to date.

Private Message Reply: 1 - 7
Dave1360
October 8, 2017, 8:36am Report to Moderator
Club Member
Thanks John.  I'm taking it to a local engineering company during the week to get a price for whatever's necessary.  I take your point about why it failed.  I couldn't see anything obvious and there was very little corrosion on the head or the block, but the gasket was a bit of a mess anyway once I'd managed to get the head off.  The washers under the manifold-side head nuts were all chewed up so it looks like they only used the hardened ones on one side.  The gasket was also copper rather than steel so there's clearly signs of things not having been done correctly before.

As for the bottom end, it's probably in need of some work at some point but the oil pressure isn't too bad, it doesn't lose much oil and there was barely any ridge at the top of the bores so it's going to have to wait until some of the other many jobs have been done.
Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 2 - 7
JohnD
October 8, 2017, 3:15pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.51
COPPER/asbestos gasket =  v.old/production part.
Copper sheet gasket =  previous competition use, or else history of wasting head gaskets. If the latter, then a persisting problem = head or. Block faces not straight.   Straight edge test will tell.
Noun

Serial Vitesse racer.

Old Blue.  1995-2001
Silverback. 2001-2007
SofS. 2007 - to date.

Private Message Reply: 3 - 7
Nick Jones
October 8, 2017, 5:47pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 2.21
Mk 1 engines (1600 & 2000) are much more prone to HGF due to the smaller 3/8" diameter studs and the short bolts under the manifolds being hard to get at and therefore quite often not re-torqued properly.

1600s often (maybe not always) had strange pressed steel shim gaskets which needed sealant.

Valves, seats, as John says really.  Guides are not to hard to remove and refit but usually need reaming to size afterwards, then the valve seats re-cutting to ensure they are concentric with the guide.  If going that far, it makes no sense not have unleaded seats fitted for the exhaust valves as any residual lead memory/work hardening effect will be lost when the seat is re-cut.

Nick

Nick Jones
Somerset UK

Vitesse Mk 1.5 Convertible EFI, Survivor of RBRR 2008, HCR & 10CR 2009, HCR 2010, 10CR2011, HCR 2012, 10CR2013, 10CR2015, HCR 2016 & HCR 2017.
GT6 Mk3 Roto - project in progress
Spitfire MKIV son's project now on the road as a daily driver
2.5 PI Saloon now EFI (PIe?), Engine rebuilt and running sweet.  Diff howling...... Survivor of HCR 2013 & 2014 Gone to live in Swansea

http://www.tengaston.plus.com
Private Message Reply: 4 - 7
andymcp
October 9, 2017, 6:45am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.01
I've just had new valve guides in a 4 cylinder head.  New guides, reamed, valve seats re-cut and valves lapped cost £84.

Andy.
Private Message Reply: 5 - 7
Nick Jones
October 9, 2017, 6:46pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 2.21
Quoted from andymcp
I've just had new valve guides in a 4 cylinder head.  New guides, reamed, valve seats re-cut and valves lapped cost £84.

Andy.

That was a good deal!    Need to add roughly £10 - 12 per exhaust valve to that for unleaded seats.

Nick

Nick Jones
Somerset UK

Vitesse Mk 1.5 Convertible EFI, Survivor of RBRR 2008, HCR & 10CR 2009, HCR 2010, 10CR2011, HCR 2012, 10CR2013, 10CR2015, HCR 2016 & HCR 2017.
GT6 Mk3 Roto - project in progress
Spitfire MKIV son's project now on the road as a daily driver
2.5 PI Saloon now EFI (PIe?), Engine rebuilt and running sweet.  Diff howling...... Survivor of HCR 2013 & 2014 Gone to live in Swansea

http://www.tengaston.plus.com
Private Message Reply: 6 - 7
Dave1360
October 15, 2017, 3:55pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Thanks all for the ideas.  The head's now at an engineering shop for a check over and I'll be asking for a skim regardless.  Hopefully get it back on the road shortly.
Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Head Replacement?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread