25 year gap between manufacture and registration! :: Triumph Torque

RH Classic Insurance

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
25 year gap between manufacture and registration!
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  25 year gap between manufacture and registration!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 17 Guests

25 year gap between manufacture and registration! Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Wezzywitch
September 14, 2017, 7:35pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.06
On the log book of my recently acquired Herald 1200 saloon, it states, 'declared manufacture 1962', and the date of first registration as 1987. Does that indicate that the car spent 25 years out of this country? I have read that Herald's were shipped abroad as a kit of parts and then assembled in places like India, South Africa and Australia - the so called CKD's - but the car and engine numbers both have GA prefixes, which doesn't seem to fit what I've read. Also, it seems to have a factory fitted electric fan and temperature gauge. More evidence of living in warmer climes for a quarter of a century? Any help or information gratefully received.
Private Message
John Bonnett
September 14, 2017, 7:45pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.16
Quoted from Wezzywitch
On the log book of my recently acquired Herald 1200 saloon, it states, 'declared manufacture 1962', and the date of first registration as 1987. Does that indicate that the car spent 25 years out of this country? I have read that Herald's were shipped abroad as a kit of parts and then assembled in places like India, South Africa and Australia - the so called CKD's - but the car and engine numbers both have GA prefixes, which doesn't seem to fit what I've read. Also, it seems to have a factory fitted electric fan and temperature gauge. More evidence of living in warmer climes for a quarter of a century? Any help or information gratefully received.

Yes it's tantalizing when a vital bit of history is missing. A friend of mine has a G reg MK1 GT6 and he's in exactly the same position. In his case he thinks the car might have belonged to a serviceman based perhaps in Germany who had it shipped over when new. Later on it was re-imported and given a G plate. But just conjecture because he doesn't know and has no way of finding out.

La Coupe Florio 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-rtCbygnIM
GT6 to Spain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtFH-Q3n2Gg

Located Whiddon Down Devon
Private Message Reply: 1 - 13
Mark Hammond
September 14, 2017, 8:59pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.22
Quoted from Wezzywitch

No.  Likely that it has had the original registration number sold and has been re-registered on either an age related or A suffix plate.  During the 1980s the DVLA put the date or registration as the date of when it was re registered.

Mark

Herald 1200 Saloon, owned (in the family) from new, Royal Blue/Black trim
[color=purple]MX-5 Z-Sport (Tweaked to 200bhp)2007,
Suzuki Vitara S Auto, Cosmic Black, 2017.
Private Message Reply: 2 - 13
ahebron
September 14, 2017, 9:16pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.09
If your car was assembled overseas then the "chassis" number should have a prefix

"When cars were assembled outside the UK (often for tax purposes in a particular country), Triumph often added a character in front of the normal alphabetical prefix of the commission number. Initially, there was an alphabetical prefix of "B" for Belgium, but that changed to a numeric value of "1" as other sites were brought on line.

Belgium[B] 1
Australia 2
New Zealand 3
South Africa 4
Malta 5
India 6
Eire (Republic of Ireland) 7
Phillipines 8
Peru 9
Portugal 10
Israel 11"

From here
http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/assembly.htm

Adrian

Eastern shore of Te Whanganui-a-Tara

Vitesse 6 (owned since 1982, driven for 6 months a long time ago)
Vitesse Mk11 Conv (owned since 1992, never driven but the first Vitesse I looked at buying back in early 1982)
2000 BMW R1150 GS
2003 FFRR TD6 HSE
2014 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion
Private Message Reply: 3 - 13
Wezzywitch
September 14, 2017, 9:28pm Report to Moderator

Thank you for that Mark. Less "romantic" than my conjecture, but sounds totally probable. So, if the car has always been in this country, should I be able to get any sort of record of those 25 years when it was on a different plate from DVLA? Or would perhaps the British motor museum at Gaydon be able to turn anything up, if given the commission number?
Private Message Reply: 4 - 13
Wezzywitch
September 14, 2017, 9:33pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from ahebron
If your car was assembled overseas then the "chassis" number should have a prefix

"When cars were assembled outside the UK (often for tax purposes in a particular country), Triumph often added a character in front of the normal alphabetical prefix of the commission number. Initially, there was an alphabetical prefix of "B" for Belgium, but that changed to a numeric value of "1" as other sites were brought on line.

Belgium[B] 1
Australia 2
New Zealand 3
South Africa 4
Malta 5
India 6
Eire (Republic of Ireland) 7
Phillipines 8
Peru 9
Portugal 10
Israel 11"

From here
http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/assembly.htm

Adrian

Many thanks for that Adrian.

Private Message Reply: 5 - 13
herald948
September 15, 2017, 12:13am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.47
I've never heard of a Herald with a factory-fitted electric fan, but temperature gauges were "factory fitted" to cars for the North American market. As to the car's original destination, some clues might be discerned from a BMIHT build certificate, but no guarantee that such information would be available.

Oh, and Adrian, thanks for linking to my web site. Unfortunately, many of you might find that the link doesn't work right; IF that is the case, copy the text of the URL and try pasting it into your browser, which then should work. It's all residual effect from a long-ago hacking (long since cleaned up and fixed) that some other sites still seem to think is dangerous and will cause your dashboard instrument lighting to flash like a bad disco.

Finally, to give credit where credit is truly due (and I think Adrian and many others will appreciate this), my information came originally from Leon Guyot!

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph Herald engine with wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22)
http://triumph-herald.us
Site Private Message AIM Reply: 6 - 13
Mark Hammond
September 15, 2017, 4:53am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.22
A heritage certificate would be conclusive.

Mark

Herald 1200 Saloon, owned (in the family) from new, Royal Blue/Black trim
[color=purple]MX-5 Z-Sport (Tweaked to 200bhp)2007,
Suzuki Vitara S Auto, Cosmic Black, 2017.
Private Message Reply: 7 - 13
herald948
September 16, 2017, 9:23pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.47
Quoted from herald948
Finally, to give credit where credit is truly due (and I think Adrian and many others will appreciate this), my information came originally from Leon Guyot!
Sorry, but I also meant here to credit Joe Curry (whom I credit on the page) as well. But Leon had given me the same information (and I should credit him as well on my page)!

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph Herald engine with wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22)
http://triumph-herald.us
Site Private Message AIM Reply: 8 - 13
Scimher
September 25, 2017, 6:21pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.23
Get or print off a form V888; fill it in & send it off to the DVLA with your cheque for a fiver. Some of the photocopying is a bit rank but you'll get lots of interesting - perhaps, illuminating information. It's ideal for expanding a vehicle's history. I put everything in chronological order in a cheap ringbinder using plastic sleeves...It can take up to a month, sometimes well over, to come through, so be patient...
Private Message Reply: 9 - 13
vitessesteve
October 8, 2017, 2:15pm Report to Moderator

Steve Weblin: Forum Moderator and Blogmaster
Club Officer
Club member
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Unfortunately form V888 is no longer an option as DVLC have stopped issueing such info to owners just wanting the back history on their car.

PLEASE help us to maintain a friendly forum, use Report post button if you see anything you are unhappy with. Thanks.
Steve Weblin - AKA vitessesteve Forum Moderator and blogmaster

Cars - Valencia Blue 69 Vitesse Mk2 Saloon since 1991 and a TR7 Sprint.

blog http://vitessesteve.blogspot.com/ website http://www.vitessesteve.co.uk/

Newark UK based - studied class car restoration at Leeds City College

https://www.facebook.com/stephen.weblin
Site Private Message Reply: 10 - 13
npanne
October 8, 2017, 5:05pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.49
Quoted from vitessesteve
Unfortunately form V888 is no longer an option as DVLC have stopped issueing such info to owners just wanting the back history on their car.

I’m wondering whether it’s a legitimate reason if you need to track down when any modifications were made - what with the changes to MOT exemption and modifications having a 30 year caveat now....
Private Message Reply: 11 - 13
Scimher
October 11, 2017, 2:53pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.23
Quoted from vitessesteve

...I've just checked the Gov.UK website & the V888 process still seems to be in operation.......the page concerned was dated 14th Sept. 2017, so unless it has been stopped since then: but a google search didn't show up anything. I had the history for an MGB through a few weeks ago....
Private Message Reply: 12 - 13
npanne
October 11, 2017, 4:18pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.49
It still exists, but they’ve drastically tightened the criteria acceptable for releasing the info - now it’s basically only available if needed for a legal dispute (crash etc).
Private Message Reply: 13 - 13
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  25 year gap between manufacture and registration!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread