Green Stuff Pads Print
4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » All Recommend Thread
Matt306
June 26, 2017, 10:49am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Oh good on you Clive.

Worcestershire Area Organiser search Facebook for Club Triumph Worcester
Triumph 13/60 1970 Convertible  first car restoration, many botches much learnt... Now back MOTd and Taxed... 2016 RBRR COMPLETE
1974 Spitfire Mk IV in Yellow and Rust... for restoration
Triumph 1000cc 1991 Daytona got to go to pay for Yellow Peril
Private Message Reply: 15 - 56
cliftyhanger
June 26, 2017, 11:08am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 2.24
Sorry, bit of thread drift.

What I should have said is that the old asbestos pads had a better set of properties than most modern pads. Greenstuff may well be a good choice, but I guess you won't know until the passes! The set of greenstuff I had on my spit seemed OK, better I think than the "white box" type but did create a lot of dust, That was 10 years ago though, things may have changed.

As to brake fluid, I have been using Pagid dot 4 fluid from euro car parts (same company as carparts4less!) and I have no complaints. Fresh fluid is the answer I reckon. And take a new bottle with you, just in case you boil the fluid!

Clive Senior

Location-Brighton, East Sussex
Foxy is here, 1500od tax exempt Toledo. Now has the decent engine back in Slant 4 engine bolted in, sprint box and axle.Now has fresh MoT. Needs paint though.
Spitfire Zetec project is started work progressing slooooowly on the road!
Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 16 - 56
Matt306
June 26, 2017, 11:16am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Thing is I'm not even going to the Alps

Triumph 13/60 1970 Convertible  first car restoration, many botches much learnt... Now back MOTd and Taxed... 2016 RBRR COMPLETE
Private Message Reply: 17 - 56
Straight Six
June 26, 2017, 11:24am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.13
Quoted from cliftyhanger
I will be controversial here. I use old stock asbestos pads that seem very capable everywhere, and lasting well.

(and despite what people say, there is very little health risk. Just think, there was not a trail of death left by every car from the early 1900's right up until they where phased out in the 1990's, or 2004 for pre 73 vehicles. As to asbestos related lung diseases, truly horrible, there is only a very slightly increased risk to those who worked long term as brake technicians, ie all day every day comparerd to the general population. take sensible precautions and the risk approaches zero.)

Oii!!! Stop talking so much common sence!! It'll never catch on!
Private Message Reply: 18 - 56
glang
June 26, 2017, 11:40am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.62
Quoted from Matt306

Thanks Ferny... Yes I am upgrading to better quality pads (hopefully) but hopefully at the cheapest price and thought I would share my find.

The bargain basement pads have been fine for everyday use, I only found them a problem coming off Dartmoor. All the components are new with stainless steel pistons and pipes and new copper pipes with new caliper seals. So the car stops straight and true , very well in fact for 50 year old tech. So I haven't considered I scrimped on critical components.

What fluid do you recommend Ferny I have standard fluid at the mo.

I really cant see how a 'better quality' fluid is going to change braking performance. All liquids are virtually incompressable so as long as yours isnt boiling when braking a change isnt going to make much difference. Now moisture contamination, corrosion and cleanliness is another matter but theyre controlled by having regular changes of the fluid.....

Private Message Reply: 19 - 56
cliftyhanger
June 26, 2017, 11:45am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 2.24
Apologies, for some reason I thought you were doing the 10CR (hence the passes comment)
You padchoice is probably correct then for what you want. ie  better than the std pads, but nothing too arduous..

(FWIW I used the code you posted to buy some antifreeze and spare oil filters, your efforts were not wasted! Thank you)

Clive Senior

Location-Brighton, East Sussex
Foxy is here, 1500od tax exempt Toledo. Now has the decent engine back in Slant 4 engine bolted in, sprint box and axle.Now has fresh MoT. Needs paint though.
Spitfire Zetec project is started work progressing slooooowly on the road!
Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 20 - 56
Matt306
June 26, 2017, 12:53pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Just for clarity it was only once I felt the brakes needed an upgrade that was on the RBRR and that was only once on the whole trip when coming off Dartmoor. When the brakes cooled off they were fine again.

Ferny suggested better fluid, I use bog standard stuff clean and new like the rest of the components. Nice firm feel on the pedal.

Anyway if they are rubbish I'll let you all know.

Private Message Reply: 21 - 56
esxefi
June 26, 2017, 3:41pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.42
have had greenstuff fitted for over 20years now,only time they gassed up was at a brands track day in blistering heat.mind i'm using large vented discs and bigger calipers in a 2500spit so not a very good comparison.
I would rather they worked from cold when you need them in an emergency for the trade off of the unlikely event of them fading on Dartmoor or some such place.
tried ferodo ds2500s' once,orrible pads for the road/fast road,dusted to b*ggery,shredded the discs and squealed like a kicked pig,mind you the bite was good,picking my teeth out the dash.
Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 22 - 56
JohnD
June 26, 2017, 3:50pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.51
Emotive!?  

You shared your opinion of " bargain basement" brake pads, and I shared mine!
Never suggested anyone bought race pads, only what suited their driving.

Ifyoumust use EBC, trh their pad type selection questionnaire: https://ebcbrakes.com/ebc-brake-pad-selector-tool/

John

Serial Vitesse racer.

Old Blue.  1995-2001
Silverback. 2001-2007
SofS. 2007 - to date.

Private Message Reply: 23 - 56
Matt306
June 26, 2017, 4:19pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Quoted from JohnD
Emotive!?  

You shared your opinion of " bargain basement" brake pads, and I shared mine!
Never suggested anyone bought race pads, only what suited their driving.

Ifyoumust use EBC, trh their pad type selection questionnaire: https://ebcbrakes.com/ebc-brake-pad-selector-tool/

John

I can't use it as the BHP selection only goes as low as 60

Private Message Reply: 24 - 56
Bitumen Boy
June 26, 2017, 6:29pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Quoted from cliftyhanger
I will be controversial here. I use old stock asbestos pads that seem very capable everywhere, and lasting well.

(and despite what people say, there is very little health risk. Just think, there was not a trail of death left by every car from the early 1900's right up until they where phased out in the 1990's, or 2004 for pre 73 vehicles. As to asbestos related lung diseases, truly horrible, there is only a very slightly increased risk to those who worked long term as brake technicians, ie all day every day comparerd to the general population. take sensible precautions and the risk approaches zero.)

I agree 100%, Clive. I've been buying NOS pads for type 12 calipers (IMO perfectly good for road use) and have never had any problems. As to the supposed health risks, if asbestos linings were anything like as dangerous as some "experts" would have you believe then men of my dad's generation who always worked on their own cars and bikes ought to be dropping like flies with asbestos-related diseases, but it just isn't happening. But there, the risks are bound to be talked up when some people are making ££££££'s out of the "safe" treatment of asbestos...
Private Message Reply: 25 - 56
npanne
June 26, 2017, 6:32pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.49
Risks are probably minimal for the home mechanic who changes a set of pads once every couple of years,  but maybe it's a bit different if you work at a fitters and change four or five sets a day?
Private Message Reply: 26 - 56
JohnD
June 26, 2017, 7:06pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from Matt306

I can't use it as the BHP selection only goes as low as 60

good point, well made.
But it's not the engine that stops the car.
John

Serial Vitesse racer.

Old Blue.  1995-2001
Silverback. 2001-2007
SofS. 2007 - to date.

Private Message Reply: 27 - 56
JohnD
June 26, 2017, 7:09pm Report to Moderator

But ..... I once met a farmer, with a mesothelioma, thr cancer that asbetos causes, and only asbestos causes.  He had one encounter with asbetsos that he could recall, fitting asbestos-based roofing to a barn.
JOhn

Serial Vitesse racer.

Old Blue.  1995-2001
Silverback. 2001-2007
SofS. 2007 - to date.

Private Message Reply: 28 - 56
Matt306
June 26, 2017, 7:28pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Quoted from JohnD

good point, well made.
But it's not the engine that stops the car.
John

Yes JohnD you are correct but as I can stop the car with bargain basement pads, I dont see the point in spending a load on expensive pads when the cheapest do the job. Greenstuff are rated for light cars for road use, which is what i do.

If they start to fade at hot I'll go get some grooved discs.

Private Message Reply: 29 - 56
4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » All Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Green Stuff Pads

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread