NOISE FROM N/S REAR. :: Triumph Torque

RH Classic Insurance

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
NOISE FROM N/S REAR.
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  NOISE FROM N/S REAR.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 15 Guests

NOISE FROM N/S REAR. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
oldmetalhead82
June 23, 2017, 9:48pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.11
Hi, my 1200 has developed a noise from the n/s rear, but only when turning right, the tighter the turn the louder the noise, it sounds like something catching a sort of chu-chu-chu if that makes sense,there are no marks on the tyre  or wheel arch and no play in the wheel bearings, could it be the diff? any thoughts please.

Dave, North Sheffield. 1967 Herald 1200 Saloon, a rolling resto on a very tight budget.
Private Message
cliftyhanger
June 23, 2017, 10:19pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 2.24
The problem with the small chassis cars is that the rear spring keeps everything under considerable tension. That makes it difficult/impossible to detect play in the bearings or UJ. UJ would be my best guess....careful inspection for shiny marks on the UJ may confirm, but ideally I would disconnect the spring on the suspect  corner and then check teh bearing and UJ.

Clive Senior

Location-Brighton, East Sussex
Foxy is here, 1500od tax exempt Toledo. Now has the decent engine back in Slant 4 engine bolted in, sprint box and axle.Now has fresh MoT. Needs paint though.
Spitfire Zetec project is started work progressing slooooowly on the road!
Private Message Reply: 1 - 5
oldmetalhead82
June 23, 2017, 10:38pm Report to Moderator

Thanks for the reply i will do that tomorrow weather permitting, i hope its the u/j not the w/bearings.

Dave, North Sheffield. 1967 Herald 1200 Saloon, a rolling resto on a very tight budget.
Private Message Reply: 2 - 5
cliftyhanger
June 24, 2017, 6:28am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 2.24
Having thought about it, the uj may show play if you get a big screwdriver in the yoke and try levering it.
If it is a ticking noise, it may just need thicker circlips, but that is usually on a new UJ. If old, and it is clicking, it will probably need replacing.

Clive Senior

Location-Brighton, East Sussex
Foxy is here, 1500od tax exempt Toledo. Now has the decent engine back in Slant 4 engine bolted in, sprint box and axle.Now has fresh MoT. Needs paint though.
Spitfire Zetec project is started work progressing slooooowly on the road!
Private Message Reply: 3 - 5
oldmetalhead82
June 24, 2017, 8:42pm Report to Moderator

Disconnected spring today, no play in hub bearings, and no shiny marks on u/j and levered u/j with screwdriver no movement. But i did find that the trunnion is seized and when you rotate the brake drum with the brake  adjustment wound off) it is fairly stiff to turn as opposed to the o/s that is very free, so i think the n/s u/j  is stiff probably due to lack of grease. I have some new u/j s but will have to get the trunnion parts, many thanks for your help.

Private Message Reply: 4 - 5
oldmetalhead82
July 2, 2017, 11:32am Report to Moderator

Just removed the hub, driveshaft and uprights from car, and there is play in the hub bearings, quite a lot as well so the driveshaft is probably knackered .  

Private Message Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  NOISE FROM N/S REAR.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread