Vitesse/Herald remote brake servo install position :: Triumph Torque

Moordale Motors

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Vitesse/Herald remote brake servo install position
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Vitesse/Herald remote brake servo install position
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 25 Guests

Vitesse/Herald remote brake servo install position Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
Nick Jones
June 2, 2017, 8:24pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 2.21
Yes, yes, I know they didn't have one as standard and they don't "need" one.  However, mine has always needed a very firm shove to stop it.  

After much tinkering over the years (every damn component rebuilt or renewed, various pads tried) it's been partially mitigated by a 5/8" M/C (some increase of pedal travel) and DS2500 pads, but still needs a hefty shove.  I'm bored with it (especially making the mental adjustment and recalibrating my right foot every time I swap cars) and the Management avoids driving it for this reason.

It's a reasonably fast car these days and the throttle has a very light action....... so the brake action doesn't compare well.

So, I had a rush of blood to the wallet (!) and bought a remote servo.  It's got 1:1.9 boost and I'll probably need to return to a 0.7" (or even 0.75") M/C to maintain a half decent pedal feel.  No worries there - but where the hell am I going to put the thing?  Getting it in at all is challenge enough, but getting it in tidily....... is it even possible?

Thoughts, pics?

TIA

Nick

Nick Jones
Somerset UK

Vitesse Mk 1.5 Convertible EFI, Survivor of RBRR 2008, HCR & 10CR 2009, HCR 2010, 10CR2011, HCR 2012, 10CR2013, 10CR2015, HCR 2016 & HCR 2017.
GT6 Mk3 Roto - project in progress
Spitfire MKIV son's project now on the road as a daily driver
2.5 PI Saloon now EFI (PIe?), Engine rebuilt and running sweet.  Diff howling...... Survivor of HCR 2013 & 2014 Gone to live in Swansea

http://www.tengaston.plus.com
Private Message
Pete Lewis
June 2, 2017, 8:51pm Report to Moderator

Tssc Herts and Beds A.O.
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.78
The trouble with these fits all no clues kits is your left asking or devising

the more normal position is between heater and clutch master, the vac drum inboard the cylinder points over the clutch so it sits sideways not forwards.

Without knowing this I fitted mine by shortening the battery tray move it towards the n/s and add the support brkt between the heater and the moved battery tray
(can add a pic when back on laptop)

pete

1964 1600 Vitesse 6 Cactus and Black , now  sold
now have T2000   Mk2 saloon in French Blue/grey trim  been  restored without running since 1997
now has power steering ,poly bushed and Alfa 156 seats
location  Luton
Private Message Reply: 1 - 40
glang
June 2, 2017, 9:10pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.62
orrrrrr what about battery in the boot and use the vacant space?
Private Message Reply: 2 - 40
Pete Lewis
June 3, 2017, 6:00am Report to Moderator

Tssc Herts and Beds A.O.
Club Member
this was our attempt, the sidefacing  makes the Mcyl zone a bit cluttered but is simple enough
heres pic of shortend tray and fitting

This post contains attachments; to download them you must login.

now have T2000   Mk2 saloon in French Blue/grey trim  been  restored without running since 1997
location  Luton
Private Message Reply: 3 - 40
Nick Jones
June 3, 2017, 9:19am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Hmm, that's the tidiest seen so far......  Not sure I'm up for modifying the battery tray though, especially as I have quite a bit more than the usual wiring in that area, including an EDIS unit.

One of the variations of horizontal/transverse over the master cylinders is probably the only option that doesn't involve significant other mods though it'll mean making bracketry from scratch.  I've got to replace both M/Cs anyway so remote reservoir options might be worth exploring......

Nick

Nick Jones
Somerset UK

Vitesse Mk 1.5 Convertible EFI, Survivor of RBRR 2008, HCR & 10CR 2009, HCR 2010, 10CR2011, HCR 2012, 10CR2013, 10CR2015, HCR 2016 & HCR 2017.
2.5 PI Saloon now EFI (PIe?), Engine rebuilt and running sweet.  Diff howling...... Survivor of HCR 2013 & 2014 Gone to live in Swansea

Private Message Reply: 4 - 40
Alex
June 3, 2017, 11:00am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Anything stopping it being inside behind the dash?

Triumph spitfire 1500 white.....rbr04,06,2012,2014 and 2016

RBRR 2004,2006,2008,2010, 2012,2014 and 2016

Triumph spitfire 1500 Blue for sale.

Triumph Herald 1200 CV project.

Andover,Hants
Private Message Reply: 5 - 40
Pete Lewis
June 3, 2017, 12:31pm Report to Moderator

Tssc Herts and Beds A.O.
Club Member
my guess its just far to big to go behind any dash.  

ones ive seen mounted transverse  Im sure  used the kit bracket

they are not the best servo around I had two the first would hang the brakes on no mater how you stripped and aligned and freed air valves it just held them like a modern on hill start, you want to pull up, it decided you were going to stop a few seconds of aggro,  the replacement was wildy more lively,  the old one sits in the shed awaiting whatever
and search prices these vary its not dedicated to  triumph look at all the classic suppliers for the exact same fits all or nothing kit
you can save yourself  a rip off.

Pete

location  Luton
Private Message Reply: 6 - 40
garyf
June 3, 2017, 2:44pm Report to Moderator

You'll feel much more alive in a 5
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Not sure if this will be any help or not, I fitted a Girling Powerstop servo to my Vitesse during its rebuild.

I think its a Model Mk2a, here's a couple of photo's of the Servo and brackets.

The servo was off a Mk2 Bond Equipe from a local Scrapyard in the early 80's, I had if fully rebuilt.

Its a slightly different size and shape to the Servo's offered now.

Hope it helps?

Gary

Private Message Reply: 7 - 40
marktheherald
June 3, 2017, 4:54pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.48
I found this photo amongst my downloads...

13/60 (1500 o/d) Estate

Eastbourne. E.Sussex.

FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC!
Private Message Reply: 8 - 40
Einar
June 3, 2017, 6:16pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.07
Scroll a bit down here: http://vitesse.no/Garage%202007-2008.html - however fitted for LHD.

Einar
Norway
1964 Vitesse 6 Conv., 2l engine, OD, LHD, Red
http://www.vitesse.no
Private Message Reply: 9 - 40
Bitumen Boy
June 5, 2017, 7:10pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Been reading this thread with interest as I'd like to fit a servo to my Herald one day - not for the brakes but for the clutch, of course the only difference would be in the plumbing. Not that there's anything wrong with the clutch, but I have an ongoing problem with my left foot/ankle - fine when it's fine, but when it's bad (like now) I can't drive the car at all. I can still manage the modern which is pretty light on the clutch hence thinking that a servo would help. Best idea so far has been relocating the battery and mounting it over there, I'm a lazy mechanic and detest cars where you have to remove X to shift Y to even get a spanner onto Z (the Herald is pretty good for this in standard form) so mounting it over the master cylinders doesn't really appeal.
Private Message Reply: 10 - 40
Nick Jones
June 5, 2017, 8:31pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Thanks all.  A number of options, all possible, but none ideal.

I've ordered some more pipe, fittings and a bigger diameter master cylinder and will have a go at it when they get here.  Also need to get some more 2mm plate as the supplied bracket limits the choices a bit.

I'll take some pics when I do it.

Remote servo on the clutch is an interesting one.  Not sure how that would work out.  I'd suggest just plumbing it up as a test and trying it to make sure it gives an acceptable result before going to the trouble of mounting it.  Some of the bigger Jap stuff (Nissan Patrol for one) do have a servo on the clutch but not the remote type.

Nick

Nick Jones
Somerset UK

Private Message Reply: 11 - 40
nang
June 6, 2017, 5:39am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.68
Bitumen Boy. Out of left field, have a look at modern truck/bus clutch boosters. Much smaller than brake boosters.
Tony.

If all else fails-Read the Instructions! ��Wairoa
New Zealand

1976 2500TC (converted to S spec) owned since 1998.

1999 BMW 2800 cc Z3 Convertible.

2003 BMW 525i Touring.
Private Message Reply: 12 - 40
poppyman
June 6, 2017, 8:59am Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Quoted from Bitumen Boy
Been reading this thread with interest as I'd like to fit a servo to my Herald one day - not for the brakes but for the clutch, of course the only difference would be in the plumbing. Not that there's anything wrong with the clutch, but I have an ongoing problem with my left foot/ankle - fine when it's fine, but when it's bad (like now) I can't drive the car at all. I can still manage the modern which is pretty light on the clutch hence thinking that a servo would help. Best idea so far has been relocating the battery and mounting it over there, I'm a lazy mechanic and detest cars where you have to remove X to shift Y to even get a spanner onto Z (the Herald is pretty good for this in standard form) so mounting it over the master cylinders doesn't really appeal.

if you check out some episodes of car "sos" fuzz put one on a clutch for a disabled guy
me, i just bought an automatic getting old
Private Message Reply: 13 - 40
garyf
June 6, 2017, 9:34am Report to Moderator

You'll feel much more alive in a 5
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.40
I Once viewed a lovely Vitesse '6' Saloon finished in Conifer Green in Belper Derbyshire, must have been the late 80's

It was owned by an old lady and she was selling it because she was no longer able to drive it, this was a low mileage car and was fitted with a servo on the Clutch.

I used to see her tootling around Belper in it, hope its still around 'B' Reg I think it was.    
Private Message Reply: 14 - 40
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Vitesse/Herald remote brake servo install position

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread