Users Browsing Forum
Pete Arnold and 25 Guests

Vitesse Chrome Strip Rivets Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
MarkB
June 2, 2017, 11:07am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.20
Hi all

I have bought some of the rivets that have the specially shaped head that the chrome side strips clip on to. I need to drill some holes in the new door skins.

I was going to repaint the rest of the car then rivet the clips on. My concern is when the rivet snaps into place is it likely to crack the paint?

Alternatively I could fit the rivets to a primed surface and and then top coat.

I Drilled the originals out years ago, can't remember why possibly to make it easier to strip the paint and sand the panels.

Whats your thoughts?

Thanks

Mark
Private Message
garyf
June 2, 2017, 12:16pm Report to Moderator

You'll feel much more alive in a 5
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.40
I'd advise being very careful when using a Rivet gun, its easy for it to bounce and mark/dent/scratch the paint

You may be better drilling the holes before painting, but then again you cannot tweak the position of the side strip then.

I didn't have this problem, both doors/skins were original and in good condition when I had my Vitesse re-sprayed during its restoration.

Its worth dipping the end of the rivets in Waxoyl or Dinitrol rustproofer when you fit them to help prevent rust breaking through

I didn't have any issues with the paint cracking when riveting the clips in place.  
Private Message Reply: 1 - 6
poppyman
June 2, 2017, 1:11pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.72
another way of doing this, is to take the clips off the rivet and use self tappers
this way you can tighten as much is needed, and yes it is a good idea to use waxoil, or what i did was use frame sealant which does not go hard and can be removed if needed.
Private Message Reply: 2 - 6
MarkB
June 2, 2017, 3:49pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.20
Quoted from poppyman
another way of doing this, is to take the clips off the rivet and use self tappers
this way you can tighten as much is needed, and yes it is a good idea to use waxoil, or what i did was use frame sealant which does not go hard and can be removed if needed.

Hi
I am self tapping the hood trim and poppers on, but the round sholdered clips look to be one with the countersunk head of the rivet, one piece. Also the original holes along the side of the car would need a large self tapper, to big to countersink below the head of the trim clip. when the time comes I'll have to try riveting one and see how i goes.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mark
Private Message Reply: 3 - 6
nang
June 3, 2017, 4:13am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.68
Double sided tape ?
Tony.

If all else fails-Read the Instructions! ��Wairoa
New Zealand

1976 2500TC (converted to S spec) owned since 1998.

1999 BMW 2800 cc Z3 Convertible.

2003 BMW 525i Touring.
Private Message Reply: 4 - 6
mazfg
June 3, 2017, 11:38am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.47
Quoted from MarkB

Hi
I am self tapping the hood trim and poppers on, but the round sholdered clips look to be one with the countersunk head of the rivet, one piece. Also the original holes along the side of the car would need a large self tapper, to big to countersink below the head of the trim clip. when the time comes I'll have to try riveting one and see how i goes.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mark

I bought some stainless steel self tappers from screwfix for the poppers

Current: Triumph Vitesse 6 convertible with O/D 1964

21 Years ago...and my first car! : Triumph Herald 1200 Saloon/ Tristan conversion 1966
Private Message Reply: 5 - 6
Paudman
June 3, 2017, 6:35pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.77
Use a short piece of brake pipe along the shank of the rivet, about half an inch or so. This keeps the gun further away from the bodywork when it snaps.

If it was made by man, it can be dismantled and rebuilt by man. Usually just not as easily.
Private Message Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Vitesse Chrome Strip Rivets

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread