Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  feeling a bit thick
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 19 Guests

feeling a bit thick Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
SRF
June 1, 2017, 11:29am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.08
I have struggled for days to get the passenger door on my refurbed Bond Equipe GT4s to fit. Now I have a reasonable fit I can't get the door to latch.  The locks  are of the snail shape with sliding wedge.  I have freed the wedge so it moves easily. but the door won't latch closed.  I didn't dismantle the car and I am at a loss to how the latch works.  On the door their is a dowel which is in the up position but will go down with a click  and releases when the door knob is pressed.
Can anyone tell me how the lock works, I assume that when  the door is closed the dowel on the door goes into a latched position, but mine doesn't and for the life of me I can't see how it works.

Ray, Mid Cheshire,��1967 Mk1 2 litre vitesse. now sold.  New project 1968 Bond GT4s
Private Message
Nick Jones
June 1, 2017, 11:45am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 2.21
There is a locking pin in the part that is fitted to the door that moves through an arc and goes over-centre.  With the door open you should be able to push it though the arc with a light finger pressure.  It should feel lightly spring loaded until it meets the over centre point and then flip itself the rest of the way.

Pressing the door release should flip it back the other way.  It's this pin moving round the shape in the block on the door pillar that holds the door.

They can get stiff or sometimes the spring breaks or becomes detached.  They'll sometimes latch like that if the door is closed with sufficient force (think Bruce Lee style karate kick!) but far from ideal.  It does sound like yours is working to some extent.  The spring is a simple affair which can be made easily enough if you can only find suitable wire.

Only other thought is that the plate on the B pillar is set too far inwards and the pin can't get near enough to activate it.  Are you able to adjust it outwards?

Nick

Nick Jones
Somerset UK

Vitesse Mk 1.5 Convertible EFI, Survivor of RBRR 2008, HCR & 10CR 2009, HCR 2010, 10CR2011, HCR 2012, 10CR2013, 10CR2015, HCR 2016 & HCR 2017.
GT6 Mk3 Roto - project in progress
Spitfire MKIV son's project now on the road as a daily driver
2.5 PI Saloon now EFI (PIe?), Engine rebuilt and running sweet.  Diff howling...... Survivor of HCR 2013 & 2014 Gone to live in Swansea

http://www.tengaston.plus.com
Private Message Reply: 1 - 2
SRF
June 1, 2017, 4:00pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.08
Thanks Nick, sorted, I couldn't get my head around how the peg dropped.  I altered the position of the plate on the B post, as you said it was too far in to allow the peg to drop.  Quite a good fit now and closes well.

Ray, Mid Cheshire,��1967 Mk1 2 litre vitesse. now sold.  New project 1968 Bond GT4s
Private Message Reply: 2 - 2
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  feeling a bit thick

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread