Clutch release bearing noise? :: Triumph Torque

Triumph Parts Sign up for our Newsletter Rimmer Bros

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Clutch release bearing noise?
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Clutch release bearing noise?
Users Browsing Forum
Yahoo! Bot and 19 Guests

Clutch release bearing noise? Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
mazfg
May 25, 2017, 8:15pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.47
Whilst on the drive,  engine running, if I push hard down on the clutch I get a rumbling sound. It stops if I let up the pedal slightly?  Doesn't do it every time but wondering what this might be? Only seems to happen with a hard push towards the end of travel?
If the clutch is engaged I do have  a different rumble sound which I guess is the release bearing. It's a NOS part as was the clutch when it went in.

Current: Triumph Vitesse 6 convertible with O/D 1964

21 Years ago...and my first car! : Triumph Herald 1200 Saloon/ Tristan conversion 1966
Private Message
garyf
May 25, 2017, 9:36pm Report to Moderator

You'll feel much more alive in a 5
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Worn Thrust Washers maybe?
Private Message Reply: 1 - 14
Spider
May 25, 2017, 11:43pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.63
Quoted from garyf
Worn Thrust Washers maybe?

+1 Best to check crank endfloat, eliminate that as a source of the noise first, otherwise it will be gearbox out and in again only to find the noise still present     Also if you have excessive endfloat it is better to get it sorted sooner rather than later as it can ruin the crank and at worst the block as well.

Spider.
GT6 MK2, 1970 yellow. Off road waiting refurb/restoration/modification.
Triumph 2000 MK1 1968, being recommissioned after being in storage since 1973.

FAVOURITE LYRIC: "I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left."
Private Message Reply: 2 - 14
glang
May 26, 2017, 5:40am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.62
If you get a noise with the pedal released and gearbox in neutral it'll be gearbox bearings. Its very common and could be either/both the needle roller bearings of the input/main shaft or layshaft. Gearbox oil level is important and they can last quite a while if treated gently but could eventually fail badlly.....
Private Message Reply: 3 - 14
mazfg
May 26, 2017, 6:30am Report to Moderator

Quoted from glang
If you get a noise with the pedal released and gearbox in neutral it'll be gearbox bearings. Its very common and could be either/both the needle roller bearings of the input/main shaft or layshaft. Gearbox oil level is important and they can last quite a while if treated gently but could eventually fail badlly.....

I've just had the main bearings changed on the gearbox..but wasn't too happy as I think the needle bearings for the layshaft weren't??

21 Years ago...and my first car! : Triumph Herald 1200 Saloon/ Tristan conversion 1966
Private Message Reply: 4 - 14
glang
May 26, 2017, 10:07am Report to Moderator

Depending on who did the work I think you have a claim as usually changing the layshaft spindle and its needle rollers plus the input shaft caged bearing is the first thing to do. Those bits are always included in gearbox overhaul kits.
Private Message Reply: 5 - 14
mazfg
May 26, 2017, 10:10am Report to Moderator

Quoted from glang
Depending on who did the work I think you have a claim as usually changing the layshaft spindle and its needle rollers plus the input shaft caged bearing is the first thing to do. Those bits are always included in gearbox overhaul kits.

Don't think he got an overhaul kit..just bearings     .  

Private Message Reply: 6 - 14
glang
May 26, 2017, 10:54am Report to Moderator

Ive put some gloop in mine (non overdrive) to try n make it last a bit longer but it'll have to come out at some stage and I just hope neither the layshaft gear nor the mainshaft bearing surfaces will have been damaged....
Private Message Reply: 7 - 14
Pete Lewis
May 26, 2017, 11:14am Report to Moderator

Tssc Herts and Beds A.O.
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.78
simple test ,  if you press the pedal with it in a gear  when stationary and theres a noise its throwout or thrusts as the gearbox and clutch disc will not be rotating

if you sit with it idling and you press firmly to engage a gear without  declutching the syncro should baulk the change but the drag applied will quieten any backlash clatter ..... any gearbox will go quieter if you try this  its normal ,  its the racket set up by all the gears having backlash , some triumph boxes had the 3 springs on the front lay thrust washer to absorb some of this clatter.

Pete

1964 1600 Vitesse 6 Cactus and Black , now  sold
now have T2000   Mk2 saloon in French Blue/grey trim  been  restored without running since 1997
now has power steering ,poly bushed and Alfa 156 seats
location  Luton
Private Message Reply: 8 - 14
glang
May 26, 2017, 12:25pm Report to Moderator

Ok I'll try that second test with fingers crossed Gearbox has done 67k from new
Private Message Reply: 9 - 14
daver clasper
May 26, 2017, 12:48pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Not sure about mainshaft bearing surface, but Mike Papworth re did my layshaft gear bearing surface.

I think it was a remanufactured/new layshaft that caused the problem as G/B had not done that many miles since a previous rebuild. It was rebuilt with a good, used layshaft.

Dave
Private Message Reply: 10 - 14
mazfg
May 31, 2017, 7:03pm Report to Moderator

Checked for endfloat and it's rock solid when clutch depressed.

Private Message Reply: 11 - 14
Spider
May 31, 2017, 7:41pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.63
Quoted from mazfg
Checked for endfloat and it's rock solid when clutch depressed.

It will be as the clutch is pushing the crank forwards. Now release the clutch and push the crank back towards the gearbox and measure how much it moves. A dial gauge is best for measuring, I use the front pulley as a reference and a pry bar behind pulley to move crank forwards and backwards. Feeler gauges can be used behind the pulley to measure the endfloat (on a GT6 in my case), can also be done by an experienced eye.
I suspect that from your symptoms that the end float is probably okay, but best to check your working from a solid base to start with, and if it was excessive best repaired sooner than later.

Spider.
GT6 MK2, 1970 yellow. Off road waiting refurb/restoration/modification.
Triumph 2000 MK1 1968, being recommissioned after being in storage since 1973.

FAVOURITE LYRIC: "I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left."
Private Message Reply: 12 - 14
glang
May 31, 2017, 7:43pm Report to Moderator

Not sure what you mean about 'rock solid when clutch depressed'. I would check endfloat of the crank without touching the clutch and just pull the crank fanbelt pulley back n forwards. You might have to do it with the engine hot as then it should move more freely or use some sort of lever to get it to move then it should give you an idea of the play. It should be minimal but if you want a number you'll probably need a dial gauge......
Private Message Reply: 13 - 14
Dogsbody47uk
June 1, 2017, 7:15pm Report to Moderator
1971 13/60 saloon and 1971 vitesse mk 2 saloon
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Quoted from glang
Not sure what you mean about 'rock solid when clutch depressed'. I would check endfloat of the crank without touching the clutch and just pull the crank fanbelt pulley back n forwards. You might have to do it with the engine hot as then it should move more freely or use some sort of lever to get it to move then it should give you an idea of the play. It should be minimal but if you want a number you'll probably need a dial gauge......

I believe the tolerance is 6 to 14 thou. My Vitesse was 18 thou. New standard size thrust washers solved that.

First Triumph: 200cc Tiger Cub. Followed by in no particular order, 350 and 500 Royal Enfield Bullet, Herald 1200, Herald 13/60, Mini 1275 GT, Vitesse 2L convertible, Audi 80, Audi 80 Sport, Fiat 124 Sport Coupe, Triumph 2000, Mk 2 Estate, Fiat Tipo, Fiat Stilo, Fiat Uno, Peugeuot Turbo Diesel(yuk), Lancia HPE 2000ie (wow! a dream!) So far 3 Heralds and My fourth Vitesse in the garage. I may have forgotten some... It's my age.. Oh , Honda 400 four.. Terrifying! And the 2 Renault 5s. Oh, and the Ford Granada 3 litre estate..I think that's the lot.
Private Message Reply: 14 - 14
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Clutch release bearing noise?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread