Triumph Vitesse — Original Sunvisor? :: Triumph Torque

Triumph Parts Sign up for our Newsletter Rimmer Bros

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Triumph Vitesse — Original Sunvisor?
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Triumph Vitesse — Original Sunvisor?
Users Browsing Forum
nang and 12 Guests

Triumph Vitesse — Original Sunvisor? Print
3 Pages « 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
Jason C
May 26, 2017, 12:27pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.09
Hi Adrian,

Good questions, I believed they were all assembled here in Nelson? Were some Vitesse's imported directly from the UK? Have a Commission number of: 3HC99002
Interesting, to clarify, some Vitesse had the roof material surrounding the windscreen, no paint visible? Mine has the material as ceiling lining only

Thanks Adrian
Private Message Reply: 15 - 32
RobPearce
May 26, 2017, 7:19pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Having looked at Tessa's today, she has the material of type B but with the stitch pattern of type A...

Current fleet
1967 Vitesse 2L conv "Tessa"
1970 Spitfire Mk3 (project) "Toby"
1972 GT6 Mk3
Not enough time or space
Recently sold:
1972 2.5 PI estate "Harry" (gone to russell on here)
1973 Toledo 2-door "Spike" (gone to a club official)
Used to have:
1968 Vitesse 2L saloon
1980 Dolomite 1500
1977 Dolomite 1850
1980 Dolomite Sprint
1982 TR7 DHC Sprint
1975 2500S saloon
1971 Herald 13/60 Estate (with 1500 Spit engine)
1975 Stag
Private Message Reply: 16 - 32
ahebron
May 26, 2017, 11:41pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from Jason C
Hi Adrian,

Good questions, I believed they were all assembled here in Nelson? Were some Vitesse's imported directly from the UK? Have a Commission number of: 3HC99002
Interesting, to clarify, some Vitesse had the roof material surrounding the windscreen, no paint visible? Mine has the material as ceiling lining only

Thanks Adrian

Hi Jason
My 6 saloon and Mk2 convertible are UK assembled.
The 6 was sold originally by Amuri Motors.
The Mk1 and Mk2 saloons I wrecked were also UK assembled
As yours is a NZ assembled then anything goes as to what parts they fitted and as they assembled Heralds it would make sense to fit as many Herald bits as they could to keep costs down without the customer knowing.
That could also be the same with the material on the windscreen surround.
I think it was the Mk1 Vitesse Saloon that was built at Nelson.
I picked up a copy of the  factory book while working at WOW earlier this year, interesting read.

Though dont take it as gospel about the rooflining.
I have been wrong before yes more than once
We need someone with more knowledge to confirm this.

Adrian

Eastern shore of Te Whanganui-a-Tara

Vitesse 6 (owned since 1982, driven for 6 months a long time ago)
Vitesse Mk11 Conv (owned since 1992, never driven but the first Vitesse I looked at buying back in early 1982)
2000 BMW R1150 GS
2003 FFRR TD6 HSE
2014 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion
Private Message Reply: 17 - 32
Jason C
May 27, 2017, 1:08am Report to Moderator

Quoted from RobPearce
Having looked at Tessa's today, she has the material of type B but with the stitch pattern of type A...

Thank you Rob, seems I can rule out the style with the indentation surround detail.
Private Message Reply: 18 - 32
Jason C
May 27, 2017, 1:29am Report to Moderator

Quoted from ahebron

Hi Jason
My 6 saloon and Mk2 convertible are UK assembled.
The 6 was sold originally by Amuri Motors.
The Mk1 and Mk2 saloons I wrecked were also UK assembled
As yours is a NZ assembled then anything goes as to what parts they fitted and as they assembled Heralds it would make sense to fit as many Herald bits as they could to keep costs down without the customer knowing.
That could also be the same with the material on the windscreen surround.
I think it was the Mk1 Vitesse Saloon that was built at Nelson.
I picked up a copy of the  factory book while working at WOW earlier this year, interesting read.

Though dont take it as gospel about the rooflining.
I have been wrong before yes more than once
We need someone with more knowledge to confirm this.

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Very interesting, thank you for the information! I briefly tried to track down production numbers/models from the Nelson factory, but only found something on Christchurch Triumph Club site, with production numbers being listed as "Herald", but maybe they just included the Vitesse within those production numbers.
Never really crossed my mind that the local built variety could have cut the odd corner, makes sense to save on production costs by sharing the odd part with the Herald. Maybe at the time the UK built versions were more desirable? Do you know much about how the local Triumph dealers worked back then, was it the case where some dealers imported direct from the UK, or locally they couldn't keep up with production. A quick search on Amuri Motors, did they also assemble cars there?

By chance could you point me in the direction of some Vitesse photo's? My challenge is I haven't seen another Vitesse in the real world, would be great to see something in "original" or pretty close to original state. Unfortunately a lot of Heralds around here have been "modernised", hacked into different forms. Of course the hard part is I don't know how faithful the previous owners of my car have been...

With regards to the rear view mirror, do you think mine could be from a Herald. With the current mirror, I'm pretty sure I can't detach the sun-visor to position on the side, which sides quite nice.   E-Bay seems quite fruitless so far, as it's hard to know what items are correct with no reference as people tend to list incorrectly.

Thank you for the help
Private Message Reply: 19 - 32
ahebron
May 27, 2017, 2:00am Report to Moderator

Hi Jason
That was back in the dark days of car imports into to NZ when the government heavily regulated private imports so maybe the dealers did bring cars in for owners.
The Vitesse Mk1 Convertible that recently sold on Trademe was a private import by its UK owner when he came to NZ in the 70's.
Unfortunately for me it has a few parts from my 6 in it and I have forgotten what they are but as I am slowly rebuilding my car there absence comes to light.
I first heard of NZ built Vitesse about 15 years ago I thought they all had been imported.
Best bet would be to search the internet for brochures VitesseSteve of this parish is soon posting some on his site.
I havent seen a complete saloon since I last wrecked one back in the 80/90's, unfortunately at the time the Mk2 was one of two in the country.
As these cars are between 45 and 55 years old many parts have been changed over the years for many reasons.
Unless you are building a concours special just try your best and if it looks right you can always change it later.
The very fact your car was a NZ build means the only people who know what it came with are those that built it.
The 2 litre cars had a slightly more luxurious finish to the 1600.
I dont recall the visors being able to swing to the side.
I am pretty sure rearview mirrors are the same between Herald and Vitesse but there might be year and supplier differences
The convertible has different mirror mounts due to lack of hard roof.

Adrian

Eastern shore of Te Whanganui-a-Tara

Vitesse 6 (owned since 1982, driven for 6 months a long time ago)
Vitesse Mk11 Conv (owned since 1992, never driven but the first Vitesse I looked at buying back in early 1982)
2000 BMW R1150 GS
2003 FFRR TD6 HSE
2014 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion
Private Message Reply: 20 - 32
Jason C
May 27, 2017, 7:14am Report to Moderator

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for the information, most useful. I noticed the Vitesse Convertible on TradeMe, looked like a really nice example! Know the feeling regarding parts, my father had quite a few bits and pieces from his youth that have since disappeared... and now some items are becoming quite hard to track down. I'm thinking a good idea would be to join the local Triumph Club. I did know of a baby blue Vitesse convertible in Cambridge many years ago. Strangely the other day when I went to the Post Office to register, the guy mentioned someone had registered a Vitesse the day before - so I guess there are a still a few floating around.

Thank you

best,
Jason
Private Message Reply: 21 - 32
TRev
May 27, 2017, 8:25am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.01
Hi Jason
Members of the Auckland triumph club have several Vitesses both running and under restoration, we have a open facebook page if you wish to contact someone
Trevor
Private Message Reply: 22 - 32
Jason C
May 27, 2017, 8:57am Report to Moderator

Hi Trevor, cool thank you! Looks like a very nice green Vitesse on the Club's Facebook page banner!
Private Message Reply: 23 - 32
Dogsbody47uk
May 27, 2017, 4:57pm Report to Moderator
1971 13/60 saloon and 1971 vitesse mk 2 saloon
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Quoted from Jason C

Interesting! Now wondering if my current mirror is from a Herald? I imagine for the visor to be able to swivel to face the door glass - it would need an open slot within the mirror body to remove the visor?

That's a Herald set. Vitesse has open clips so shade can be swivelled ( and hinges at outer mounting points). Vitesse mirror is larger.

First Triumph: 200cc Tiger Cub. Followed by in no particular order, 350 and 500 Royal Enfield Bullet, Herald 1200, Herald 13/60, Mini 1275 GT, Vitesse 2L convertible, Audi 80, Audi 80 Sport, Fiat 124 Sport Coupe, Triumph 2000, Mk 2 Estate, Fiat Tipo, Fiat Stilo, Fiat Uno, Peugeuot Turbo Diesel(yuk), Lancia HPE 2000ie (wow! a dream!) So far 3 Heralds and My fourth Vitesse in the garage. I may have forgotten some... It's my age.. Oh , Honda 400 four.. Terrifying! And the 2 Renault 5s. Oh, and the Ford Granada 3 litre estate..I think that's the lot.
Private Message Reply: 24 - 32
Jason C
May 28, 2017, 12:15am Report to Moderator

Quoted from Dogsbody47uk

That's a Herald set. Vitesse has open clips so shade can be swivelled ( and hinges at outer mounting points). Vitesse mirror is larger.

Hi Dogs Body, by chance do you have a photograph of the correct set-up? Or possibly could point me in the right direction? By hinges at the mounting points, assume the visors I have (and the other option in thread) aren't the correct visors at all? I tried turning them, they will turn but are very stiff - ha maybe because these visors are not designed too. Completely different mounting hinge all together? Are the Vitesse ones similar to another model, GT6? Guessing the hinge has some similar bulk to hide the roof bolt. Thank you!
Private Message Reply: 25 - 32
glang
May 28, 2017, 5:39am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.62
Jason theres a pic on the uk ebay site of the visors Ive got fitted to my mk1. Item 152547191758 which is under completed sales but you should be able to see the assembly minus the mirror. I believe theres also a mirror shown separately with the clips that hold the ends of the visor swivel rods when they are returned to the central position.
Private Message Reply: 26 - 32
Pete Lewis
May 28, 2017, 6:43am Report to Moderator

Tssc Herts and Beds A.O.
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.78
My 64 vit6 had the hard visor with the mirror clip to allow side rotation

pete

1964 1600 Vitesse 6 Cactus and Black , now  sold
now have T2000   Mk2 saloon in French Blue/grey trim  been  restored without running since 1997
now has power steering ,poly bushed and Alfa 156 seats
location  Luton
Private Message Reply: 27 - 32
Jason C
May 28, 2017, 6:56am Report to Moderator

Quoted from glang
Jason theres a pic on the uk ebay site of the visors Ive got fitted to my mk1. Item 152547191758 which is under completed sales but you should be able to see the assembly minus the mirror. I believe theres also a mirror shown separately with the clips that hold the ends of the visor swivel rods when they are returned to the central position.

Nice find! It's a small world, this is the pair I have purchased. Is it the same seller showing the mirror with clips? My mirror is similar to this one (except black and without the circular grip by the mirror; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-.....1:g:fUEAAOSwDiBZFYHk
Private Message Reply: 28 - 32
Jason C
May 28, 2017, 7:02am Report to Moderator

Quoted from Pete Lewis
My 64 vit6 had the hard visor with the mirror clip to allow side rotation

pete

Thanks Pete, by mirror clip - is this some type of clip mounted onto the shaft of the visor?

Private Message Reply: 29 - 32
3 Pages « 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Triumph Vitesse — Original Sunvisor?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread