Suspension bushes Polly or not? :: Triumph Torque

RH Classic Insurance

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Suspension bushes Polly or not?
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Suspension bushes Polly or not?
Users Browsing Forum
bim, Dave1360, Googlebot, Yahoo! Bot and 12 Guests

Suspension bushes Polly or not? Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
948coupe Downunder
May 23, 2017, 11:04pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.04
I have just checked the front and rear passenger side brakes and they look like new shoes all around to me and no leaks from the slaves either, anyway wheels now turn easily so after a quick cuppa with the wife I will go down and do the other side. which I expect will be just as good. That said I have a question for other Triumph owners namely I want to replace the suspension bushes which all look a bit old and perished so do I get the original type or are the poly bushes better? I have polly bushes in my Clubbie and they do seem to work well for that but I have no experience with the Herald suspension.
Private Message
Spider
May 24, 2017, 12:59am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.63
Yes, they last longer than modern rubber does now (because it's crepe) and give a more precise feel. I use Superflex.

http://www.superflex.co.uk/hardnessguide.php

Spider.
GT6 MK2, 1970 yellow. Off road waiting refurb/restoration/modification.
Triumph 2000 MK1 1968, being recommissioned after being in storage since 1973.

FAVOURITE LYRIC: "I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left."
Private Message Reply: 1 - 5
yorkshire_spam
May 24, 2017, 8:04am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.87
ok.... based on many years experience of land rovers and a few years experience of triumphs....
The BEST bushes for suspension are a good brand of poly, BUT they are only a bit better than OE quality rubber parts. There's the hitch.... OE quality, which you just can't get for most applications these days. Following far behind in terms of quality are standard modern bushes and the worst of the worst are eBay special nasty brand poly.

Provided I can afford it I only fit Superflex (triumph) or SuperPro (land rover)
Polybush are ok from what I understand, but I wouldn't touch any other brand of poly.

Just my humble opinion - your mileage may vary!
Private Message Reply: 2 - 5
daver clasper
May 24, 2017, 11:22am Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.28
In my experience the original good ones can go on for a long time, even when looking perished.

they are a bit time consuming to replace normally if been on a while, as the bolts rust into the centre tubes and need to be cut through to remove.

I also burn out my old bushes, from wishbones.

Dave  
Private Message Reply: 3 - 5
948coupe Downunder
May 29, 2017, 9:13pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.04
Thanks for all of the good feed back Guys I think I now know what to do  
Private Message Reply: 4 - 5
glang
May 30, 2017, 6:59am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.62
Quoted from 948coupe Downunder
I have just checked the front and rear passenger side brakes and they look like new shoes all around to me and no leaks from the slaves either, anyway wheels now turn easily so after a quick cuppa with the wife I will go down and do the other side. which I expect will be just as good. That said I have a question for other Triumph owners namely I want to replace the suspension bushes which all look a bit old and perished so do I get the original type or are the poly bushes better? I have polly bushes in my Clubbie and they do seem to work well for that but I have no experience with the Herald suspension.

Just one thing with the bushes: I would have a real good look at them before rushing to put in new ones. They can look a bit perished and even cracked on the outside but are fine in the important interior bit. The original quality was pretty good and unless you're racing the vehicle, like shiny coloured bits or are looking for something to do dont need replacing even after 50+ years....
Private Message Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Suspension bushes Polly or not?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread