The correct Control box ?? :: Triumph Torque

Moordale Motors

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
The correct Control box ??
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  The correct Control box ??
Users Browsing Forum
Dave1360 and 17 Guests

The correct Control box ?? Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Antonnick
May 5, 2017, 7:52pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.20
When I purchased my 13/60 and had to drive it part of the way home in the dark, the ignition light flickered, got brighter and then went out. Good  I thought, the Problem has sorted itself out. But the battery was drained so this was not the case.

Upon Investigation, I discovered that the set up was deliberately made to positive earth   - deliberatly because the battery terminals are normally not interchangeable.

The wonderful Workshop Manual is a bit vague on which control box should be fitted - mine Looks like a Lucas RB106. But is it possible that before someone changed the polarity to suit the control box from another car which was positive earth? That to me is the only Explanation.

Should a 13/60 be equipped with a RB340 like a Vitesse? I am reluctant to run the car up again before all the oils have been changed, Brakes etc have been checked because if this has been bodged, then probably something else as well; so I have not yet been able to do the voltage checks.  I have already reconnected the battery to be negative earth though and polarised the Dynamo.

Any other checks needed?

Gott hüte mich vorm Sturm und Wind, und Autos ,die aus England sind
Private Message
nang
May 5, 2017, 8:33pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.68
A long time ago ,when I owned a Herald for a short time I changed  the polarity so I could run a modern radio. All I did was repolarise the generator, no problems with anything else. Sounds like your generator is at fault. Originally your car would have been positive earth. Only alternator equipped cars were negative earth. (I think)
Tony.

If all else fails-Read the Instructions! ��Wairoa
New Zealand

1976 2500TC (converted to S spec) owned since 1998.

1999 BMW 2800 cc Z3 Convertible.

2003 BMW 525i Touring.
Private Message Reply: 1 - 8
garyf
May 5, 2017, 9:29pm Report to Moderator

You'll feel much more alive in a 5
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.40
It could be the Dynamo or Regulator?

All 13/60 Heralds where Negative Earth to my knowledge, the regulator contacts can corrode, a quick check and clean with fine emery paper might get it working?

RB340 Fitted to the Vitesse models with a C40L Dynamo, not sure on the Herald, but will have a curved shaped plastic cover.

Gary  
Private Message Reply: 2 - 8
Antonnick
May 5, 2017, 9:50pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from garyf
It could be the Dynamo or Regulator?

All 13/60 Heralds where Negative Earth to my knowledge, the regulator contacts can corrode, a quick check and clean with fine emery paper might get it working?

RB340 Fitted to the Vitesse models with a C40L Dynamo, not sure on the Herald, but will have a curved shaped plastic cover.

Gary  

Yes, the Workshop Manual confirms that all 13/60 are negative earth.
The installed control box has the curved shaped cover and is a Lucas RB106...but is it the correct one?  

Private Message Reply: 3 - 8
Pete Lewis
May 6, 2017, 6:07am Report to Moderator

Tssc Herts and Beds A.O.
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.78
In their day both were rated at 22 amp for dynamo operation
the 106 being early 2 coil design with screw adjusters the 340 is  later 3 coil with cams to regulate

Aftermarket indian copies have a poor reputation
Pete

1964 1600 Vitesse 6 Cactus and Black , now  sold
now have T2000   Mk2 saloon in French Blue/grey trim  been  restored without running since 1997
now has power steering ,poly bushed and Alfa 156 seats
location  Luton
Private Message Reply: 4 - 8
herald948
May 6, 2017, 3:51pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.47
If it helps any, the original Lucas part number was 37290F for the RB-106-2 control box.

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph Herald engine with wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22)
http://triumph-herald.us
Site Private Message AIM Reply: 5 - 8
scotty71
May 9, 2017, 11:42am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.08
the Indian control boxes do not last, changed it to alternator. now the lights work in the dark
Private Message Reply: 6 - 8
Antonnick
May 10, 2017, 8:52am Report to Moderator

Quoted from scotty71
the Indian control boxes do not last, changed it to alternator. now the lights work in the dark

so, I replaced the control box with a known original working one from a '69 Morris Minor, mainly because the existing one was plastered in paint from a re-spray and looked manky.

I would agree that an alternator is the way to go and I may do that  but for the Moment if at all possible, would like to Keep the originality.

Private Message Reply: 7 - 8
Jordan T
May 10, 2017, 10:52am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.28
I would also be weary of modern remanufactured Lucas ACR alternators.

They are internally different to the original ACR Alternators of the late 60's/70's and don't last as well.

What are peoples thoughts on this? Is it only me who have had bad experiences with the new ACR's?

Heraldine the 1967 Triumph Herald 1200 Saloon - Cherry Red/White
Delia the 2016 Mazda MX5 Icon -  Meteor Grey

Private Message Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  The correct Control box ??

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread