Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Bit of help starting out
Users Browsing Forum
cliftyhanger and 16 Guests

Bit of help starting out Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
George92
April 23, 2017, 2:36pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.08
Hello all iv recently purchased a 1965 triumph herald 1200 and was looking for a bit of advice

Looking to get a bit more out of the engine what's best. iv read that putting a spitfire head is the way to go. What do people say to that

And looking for more sound so losing the back box and going for a straight  through. Is there a good substitute or do people just do a complete custom job.

Hope people could help many thanks
George
Private Message
Davemate
April 23, 2017, 3:29pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.17
It all depends on what you want to end up with  
I started with a standared 1200  
Look at my signature
1200 head only has two inlet ports,1300 and 1500 have 4 so the heads are not interchangeable, you can on the 1300 and 1500
Either a 1300 or a 1500 engine will give you a boost, fitting a overdrive gearbox will increase crusing speed for lower revs as will fitting a spitfires 1500 diff.
Good idea to fit disc brakes if yours doesn't already have them.
I run a straight pipe with just a "cherry bomb" on the end, it's very loud. You can buy "sport systems" from various suppliers

Herald 1500,rallyfied- overdrive,swing spring with 1500 spit diff,440lb front springs, adjustable height spax on front and back, trunionless conversion,thicker arb,rear roll cage,harnesses,bucket seats,extra gauges,Vitesse steering wheel,genuine 5.5j smoothies wheels,4 branch manifold
Still for sale

Mk1 2000 saloon,now a 2.5   

Timing marshal CT autosolo Bovington 2011,2012,half of 2013,2014 and 2016
Marshalled Essex winter rally 2013
RBRR 2012, co driver
24th Nachtrit 2012, navigator
Chinese rally 2013, navigator
Essex winter rally 2014, navigator
HCR 2014, co driver
RBRR 2014, co driver
Essex winter rally 2014,navigator
Warwickshire winter rally 2016,driver
HCR 2016 driver
Essex winter rally 2016 navigator
Mr Radders official calm down buddy
Private Message Reply: 1 - 8
cliftyhanger
April 23, 2017, 3:41pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 2.24
Welcome.
To get a "bit more" out of the engine is a big question. Are you looking for a "bit" or "a lot"?

The place to start is making sure what you have is on top form. Often overlooked, but you could be 5bhp down easily, and that is a big %
Are you keen to keep the car pretty std (ie still 1200) or maybe swap to a 1300 or even 1500? That is the easiest way to go faster.
Spitfire mk1 or2 head would improve compression, but you want the matching camshaft to get the gains, and the twin carbs, not to mention the spitfire mk2 exhaust manifold....and distributor. Not clever to just fit one part of the package, it needs to be done properly.

Disc brakes at the front are useful, And making sure the brakes are also in good condition. That means properly adjusted rears with pivots/sliders that move as they should, handbrake cable correctly set and so on. Front discs that are good, or replaced (very cheap) and decent quality brake pads.

If you must go lairy on the exhaust, a simple cherry bomb type of box should do the trick. But as Dave points out, there are off the shelf options available

Clive Senior

Location-Brighton, East Sussex
Foxy is here, 1500od tax exempt Toledo. Now has the decent engine back in Slant 4 engine bolted in, sprint box and axle.Now has fresh MoT. Needs paint though.
Spitfire Zetec project is started work progressing slooooowly on the road!
Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 2 - 8
George92
April 23, 2017, 3:52pm Report to Moderator

Oh ok brilliant thanks for the advice. Not looking to go silly just more really
And cool someone told me a cherry bomb was the way to go il look in to that for sure

Thanks for the help mate
Private Message Reply: 3 - 8
George92
April 23, 2017, 4:29pm Report to Moderator

Thanks a lot for all the help il props go for a engine change then sounds but as you say il get all the others sorted first

Another question for lowering and sport suspension are gaz adjustable or is there better and cheaper

And does anyone have a preferred website or anything they get parts

Sorry for all the questions i sold my 90s car and got a classic so it's starting all over again
Private Message Reply: 4 - 8
Casper
April 23, 2017, 6:04pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.24
If this is to be a daily driver, you have probably bought the wrong car.  I'm a huge fan of the 1200 and mine has 'a bit extra' via the Mk 2 Spitfire route.  I love it, but I wouldn't want it for the daily commute or regular motorway trips either.  In fact a Herald isn't really ideal, whatever engine/cam/diff. combination.

C.

Herald Anorak
Private Message Reply: 5 - 8
Davemate
April 23, 2017, 6:49pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.17
Quoted from Casper
If this is to be a daily driver, you have probably bought the wrong car.  I'm a huge fan of the 1200 and mine has 'a bit extra' via the Mk 2 Spitfire route.  I love it, but I wouldn't want it for the daily commute or regular motorway trips either.  In fact a Herald isn't really ideal, whatever engine/cam/diff. combination.

C.

I would have to disagree with you.
Before I got too silly with mine I used it every day to commute to work and as my general runabout.
Mine had its 1500 engine overdrive box and diff and it was more than adequate.
The wifes 1200 convertable was kept stock and was also capable of being used everyday, a trip from north London up to Lowestoft a couple of times and a trip to Norfolk was easy enough, cruising at 70 was fine

The wifes car, sold a while ago

And mine

Herald 1500,rallyfied- overdrive,swing spring with 1500 spit diff,440lb front springs, adjustable height spax on front and back, trunionless conversion,thicker arb,rear roll cage,harnesses,bucket seats,extra gauges,Vitesse steering wheel,genuine 5.5j smoothies wheels,4 branch manifold
Still for sale

Mk1 2000 saloon,now a 2.5   

Timing marshal CT autosolo Bovington 2011,2012,half of 2013,2014 and 2016
Marshalled Essex winter rally 2013
RBRR 2012, co driver
24th Nachtrit 2012, navigator
Chinese rally 2013, navigator
Essex winter rally 2014, navigator
HCR 2014, co driver
RBRR 2014, co driver
Essex winter rally 2014,navigator
Warwickshire winter rally 2016,driver
HCR 2016 driver
Essex winter rally 2016 navigator
Mr Radders official calm down buddy
Private Message Reply: 6 - 8
cliftyhanger
April 23, 2017, 6:54pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 2.24
Have you driven the herald much yet? Best to do so before you get too involved.
And think what you really want from the car.

I would say the 1500 is a very good little combination, but ideally with overdrive and I would go for a diff change too. To buy those mechanical parts will not be cheap, but the swap is simple enough.
The 1500 will give you about 75bhp, Still not quick compared to a modern car.

Re suspension, I prefer Koni's, but they are not height adjustable. For that gaz may be your best bet. A swing sping conversion at the rear will help too (with matching front ARB)

But beware you don't end up with a car that is still not what you want.

Actually you should have a serious word with Dave above, he has a 1200 herald with all the bits mentioned. Worth checking it out, especially if you can blag a go in it.

Clive Senior

Location-Brighton, East Sussex
Foxy is here, 1500od tax exempt Toledo. Now has the decent engine back in Slant 4 engine bolted in, sprint box and axle.Now has fresh MoT. Needs paint though.
Spitfire Zetec project is started work progressing slooooowly on the road!
Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 7 - 8
George92
April 23, 2017, 7:06pm Report to Moderator

No no no it's not my daily weekender/project

Il look in to all the bits and see how it goes

Thanks chaps
Private Message Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Bit of help starting out