Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 17 Guests

Rear tub conversion Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
bobbster
April 16, 2017, 8:21am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.02
Hi help and information needed again.
Can any one tell me is it worth converting a good saloon rear tub into a convertible one as mine has a rotten floor and inner rear wheel arches?
And how hard is it to do?
Cheers Nigel
Private Message
Mark Hammond
April 16, 2017, 9:25am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.22
Not too difficult and yes, worthwhile.  Best to start with an angle grinder to remove rust, paint and crud around the seams where the required panels are welded to the rest of the tub and to drill out the spot welds and separate the panel work neatly.  Very time consuming and doubtless there'll be 50years worth of old patched repairs to contend with too!  The bits you'll need are the tops of the rear wings incorporating the rear deck, the B posts (inner and outer), can't remember anything else, it is 35ish years since I did this.

Good luck,

Mark

Herald 1200 Saloon, owned (in the family) from new, Royal Blue/Black trim
[color=purple]MX-5 Z-Sport (Tweaked to 200bhp)2007,
Suzuki Vitara S Auto, Cosmic Black, 2017.
Private Message Reply: 1 - 8
bobbster
April 16, 2017, 11:58am Report to Moderator

Hi do you mean that you have to split the upper rear wing off the lower?
Private Message Reply: 2 - 8
heraldcoupe
April 16, 2017, 12:49pm Report to Moderator

Mid-life crisis pending
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Professionals tend to preserve the Saloon's seam between upper and lower wing, instead cutting into the upper panel where the weld can be more easily lost.

If you're trying to make an as-original Convertible shell, don't overlook the different inner wheelarches fitted to this model, it's where things start to get complicated.

Cheers,
Bill.

Enthusiast and collector of early Heralds.

"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Site Private Message Reply: 3 - 8
bobbster
April 16, 2017, 4:55pm Report to Moderator

Thanks for that Bill .
But what is the difference in the wheel arches?
Private Message Reply: 4 - 8
heraldcoupe
April 16, 2017, 8:42pm Report to Moderator

Mid-life crisis pending
Club Member
The Saloon arches are smooth, the Convertible's have additional pressings to stiffen them.

Cheers,
Bill.

"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Site Private Message Reply: 5 - 8
Nick Jones
April 16, 2017, 8:53pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 2.21
Quoted from heraldcoupe
The Saloon arches are smooth, the Convertible's have additional pressings to stiffen them.

Cheers,
Bill.

Well, I didn't know that.  Any pics of the differences?  And I've even taken part in a couple of tub conversions back in the late 80's when I was working for Triumph care in Kingston.  We used to slice the saloon tub just above the wing joint and the convertible tub just below the joint then dress them both back to the original flange which meant they could be spot welded or plug welded again more or less as original.  Can't remember what happened at the B pillars other than it involved drilling out alot of spot welds and being surprised how easy it was to remove the hood bin pressings as Triumphs spot welder clearly wasn't man enough for the multiple layers involved.

Nick

Nick Jones
Somerset UK

Vitesse Mk 1.5 Convertible EFI, Survivor of RBRR 2008, HCR & 10CR 2009, HCR 2010, 10CR2011, HCR 2012, 10CR2013, 10CR2015, HCR 2016 & HCR 2017.
GT6 Mk3 Roto - project in progress
Spitfire MKIV son's project now on the road as a daily driver
2.5 PI Saloon now EFI (PIe?), Engine rebuilt and running sweet.  Diff howling...... Survivor of HCR 2013 & 2014 Gone to live in Swansea

http://www.tengaston.plus.com
Private Message Reply: 6 - 8
Mark Hammond
April 16, 2017, 9:13pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.22
Quoted from Nick Jones

Well, I didn't know that.  Any pics of the differences?  And I've even taken part in a couple of tub conversions back in the late 80's when I was working for Triumph care in Kingston.  We used to slice the saloon tub just above the wing joint and the convertible tub just below the joint then dress them both back to the original flange which meant they could be spot welded or plug welded again more or less as original.  Can't remember what happened at the B pillars other than it involved drilling out alot of spot welds and being surprised how easy it was to remove the hood bin pressings as Triumphs spot welder clearly wasn't man enough for the multiple layers involved.

Nick

Ditto, why wouldn't you use the original join between the two panels?

M.

Herald 1200 Saloon, owned (in the family) from new, Royal Blue/Black trim
[color=purple]MX-5 Z-Sport (Tweaked to 200bhp)2007,
Suzuki Vitara S Auto, Cosmic Black, 2017.
Private Message Reply: 7 - 8
heraldcoupe
April 16, 2017, 10:06pm Report to Moderator

Mid-life crisis pending
Club Member
Quoted from Mark Hammond
Ditto, why wouldn't you use the original join between the two panels?

Replicating factory welds is practically impossible, a properly executed restoration will look like it was never restored.

There are other issues as well, it's easier to proeperly seal a seam weld against corrosion, where a series of spot welds offers potential for moisture ingress. As I alluded to earlier, it's also easier to lose any distortion in a curved panel,

Cheers,
Bill.

Site Private Message Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Rear tub conversion

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread