Reverse Gear jumps out Herald 13/60 :: Triumph Torque

RH Classic Insurance

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Reverse Gear jumps out Herald 13/60
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Reverse Gear jumps out Herald 13/60
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 15 Guests

Reverse Gear jumps out Herald 13/60 Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Alan Thomas
April 5, 2017, 9:16am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.02
Hi there - i have searched the database for "reverse gear" to find only 2 non-relevant items but my problem is that when i select reverse, i have to hold the gearstick in place otherwise it jumps out. (my search skills might be suspect)
So my question - is this an easy selector fix or a whole gearbox overhaul ??

BTW great advice from this forum on fitting a S/steel exhaust - now fully installed - MIKALOR clips are so much neater that "U"bolts  

currently Herald 13/60 Convertible
Herald 12/50 Saloon when i was 20
Herald 1200 Estate when i was 19 (a lot of miles ago!)
Private Message
glang
April 5, 2017, 1:14pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.62
Well theres good news and bad! Dont think the gearbox has got to come out as the problem should be with one of the spring loaded plungers in the gearlever extension housing that bolts on the top of the gearbox. As you move the gearlever it operates one of three sliding rods in said housing each of which has notches in it that the plungers spring into to keep them in the selected postions. The springs are quite small and break with time so this locking mechanism doesnt work allowing it to jump out of the respective gear.
Bad news is that the cardboard/plastic gearbox cover hump has to come off the gearbox to get the housing off but at least you'll be able to have a look inside the gearbox at the same time....
Private Message Reply: 1 - 5
Pete Lewis
April 5, 2017, 2:40pm Report to Moderator

Tssc Herts and Beds A.O.
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.78
yes remove the top cover   ,  put it in 1st gear to ease this operation , same on refiting  
to fit new springs  you need to remove the welch plugs there are small holes in the top cover to stick a thin punch in and pop them off,
the square headed dowel bolts has to be undone these can be more than 'tight'  done up by a gorilla.

if you undo these the shaft can be used to pop the plugs out , thye can be reused with smear of sealer

take care between each shaft is a series of balls and pins that act as interlock to prevent two gears at once .

good time to re bush the remote , but dont attempt to change the 0 rings in the kit these seal the  front short rod in the top hsg,  nearly impossible as you will chop the new ring with the old shaft and its another of those square dowels  to shift  leave that bit alone .

Pete

1964 1600 Vitesse 6 Cactus and Black , now  sold
now have T2000   Mk2 saloon in French Blue/grey trim  been  restored without running since 1997
now has power steering ,poly bushed and Alfa 156 seats
location  Luton
Private Message Reply: 2 - 5
Alan Thomas
April 5, 2017, 5:50pm Report to Moderator

@glang thanks for your reassurance and advice I shall look up the springs as replacements.
I have done a couple of clutches on my previous Heralds so removing the gearbox cover holds no worries

Private Message Reply: 3 - 5
Alan Thomas
April 5, 2017, 5:53pm Report to Moderator

@ Pete again great tips I will look up the parts drawings before attempting. Thanks for sharing your experience

Private Message Reply: 4 - 5
glang
April 5, 2017, 6:12pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.62
While youre there Alan I recommend carefully inspecting the gearbox mounting rubbers (dont know if its O/D or not) and checking tightness of all accessible nuts and bolts etc as they always seem to be pretty loose which doesnt help the leaks.....
Private Message Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Reverse Gear jumps out Herald 13/60

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread