Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 22 Guests

rear brake drums Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
scotty71
March 28, 2017, 11:52am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.08
I have only done 350ish miles on these, and they have all ready gone egg shape. I spent 3 hours sunday machining 25 thou out of them. it took so long, due to the outside edge was no square!!
these patent parts are getting rubbish now.
Private Message
herald948
March 28, 2017, 2:59pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.47

Admittedly, I've had perhaps more than my share of parts cars over the years; regardless, a brake drum is something I've almost never had to replace. On the rare occasion that I did have to replace, I would find a good used one from my stash. At worst, I might have to have the drum turned.

Where I live (in the USA), we have a really great local auto parts store. Granted, it caters more to American cars, but until sometime last year -- when their lathe broke and parts were no longer available to repair it -- they routinely turned drums and rotors. But most modern car drums and rotors are simply not worth turning; rather, they seem destined to be as much a throwaway item as the shoes or pads that rub on them! And it would appear that current aftermarket replacement drums and rotors for our cars are of about the same quality.

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph Herald engine with wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22)
http://triumph-herald.us
Site Private Message AIM Reply: 1 - 3
Johnny
March 28, 2017, 10:37pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Just a thought while on the subject ... Is there a feasible rear disc brake conversion idea around  for Herald/Vitesse?

Private Message Reply: 2 - 3
cliftyhanger
March 29, 2017, 6:10am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 2.24
Quoted from Johnny
Just a thought while on the subject ... Is there a feasible rear disc brake conversion idea around  for Herald/Vitesse?

Yes. MGF discs will simply slide over the hub.
Then fit some brackets to the rear uprights, and fit MGF callipers. Or better some lighter aluminium ones. I know that with the MGF callipers the existing handbrake cable can be used (but requires a small extension piece, flat bar IIRC), but on mine I vent further and used shortened MGF cables as I have a rotoflex based rear where the length changes, not the case with solid driveshafts.

All very DIY but not difficult if you can chop metal plates and drill holes accurately etc.

However, it would probably need a valve to reduce the rear braking. Too much at the rear is VERY bad.

Clive Senior

Location-Brighton, East Sussex
Foxy is here, 1500od tax exempt Toledo. Now has the decent engine back in Slant 4 engine bolted in, sprint box and axle.Now has fresh MoT. Needs paint though.
Spitfire Zetec project is started work progressing slooooowly on the road!
Private Message Reply: 3 - 3
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  rear brake drums

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread