Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 17 Guests

Herald Carpet Advice Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
TRock
March 15, 2017, 9:30pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.03
Hello All!

I have come to the point of my project where I am beginning to rebuild things in my 1969 Herald 13/60 Convertible, and one important part I need to sort out soon is the carpet. The old ones (which I beleive are aftermarket, although not sure) were in a rotten and torn state, and so I have been looking online for a new set, including boot mat.

I want a black carpet with black edging that is functional, hardwearing and of course aesthetically pleasing. I am not wanting to complete a concours restoration at all, as I am planning to daily drive it in the future as an ongoing project of sorts.

I am on a bit of a budget, but would be prepared to splash out if that is the best option. There seem to be a lot of different options from different sellers. These include moulded vs stitched, cut pile/deep pile/hessian backed/auto velor and underlay. I also would be interested there are generally any problems regarding fitting shape, especially the cheaper ones at the around £100 mark on eBay and James Paddock.

I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on who my best option to go with from their own experiences.

Many thanks in advance,

T Rock
Private Message
scotty71
March 15, 2017, 9:51pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.08
i fitted the newton moulded carpets, which fitted very easy.  but you do need to glue some of it down, due to edges try to curl up behind the front seats.
Private Message Reply: 1 - 13
garyf
March 16, 2017, 12:25pm Report to Moderator

You'll feel much more alive in a 5
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.40
I also fitted the Moulded Newton Commercial carpets during the rebuild of my Vitesse and the fit was excellent, especially around the tricky Gearbox tunnel area?

They are not cheap though, listed at £266 on the Canley Site  

You will find with the cheaper carpets that the fit, especially around the Gearbox Tunnel will not be good, it just depends how bothered your are?
Private Message Reply: 2 - 13
Jonny-Jimbo
March 16, 2017, 1:45pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.22
It's still possible to find NOS carpets on ebay etc, although usually they seem to be the smaller bits, and rarely are they the main floor carpet.

62 Vitesse 1600 - Slammed & modified
67 2000 - Fitted with 2.5 o/d - 2012 RBRR, 2015 Essex Rally, 2016 HCR, 2016 RBRR
67 2000 Estate - Dormant
70 Herald 13/60 - First car, many bits
77 CZ 125 Sport - 70 miles on the clock
77 Kawasaki KM90 - Shop hack
81 Yamaha DT125 - Many bits
88 Ginetta G4/4 - Dead
88 BMW E30 320i - For Sale
89 Citroen AX GT - Rally car!
90 BMW E30 318iS - Building to FIA spec
90 Mazda Eunos 1.6 - 'Popeye'
93 BMW 530i - Donor
95 BMW E34 540i - 4L V8
Private Message Reply: 3 - 13
bxbodger
March 16, 2017, 4:30pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.20
Don't buy the cheapo £100ish non moulded ones if you're worried about fit, the fit is terrible. You would have thought the people who make them would at least try and get an approximation to the right size but they're nowhere near. Carpets are too an extent disposable in a convertible, and you don't want to spend too much on them, and I don't expect Wilton, but I do expect them to be reasonably close size and shape wise.

'68 Mk1 Vitesse convertible boneshaker, and a somewhat more economical '89 998cc A series powered Metro.
Private Message Reply: 4 - 13
Nick Jones
March 16, 2017, 5:26pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 2.21
I made my own as the "cheap" ones are not very cheap but are VERY poor.  The better ones are very expensive for what they are IMO.

I bought a roll of car carpet (red, but blue, black and grey were available too) from a stand at a classic car show.  This is pretty decent quality and was under £ 30 (was about 10 years ago).  They also had the hessian style underlay but I left that and used a foam one instead

Like this http://www.underlay4u.co.uk/carpet-underlays.html - either 9mm or 11mm I think.

I also changed the design a bit to make life easier for myself.  This involved cutting and sticking carpet directly to the floor along the sides and then making four "drop in" sections; a big one that goes under the seats and does the rear footwells plus one each for the front footwells and the tunnel cover.  The first three are pretty easy and came out well.  The tunnel cover is not.  I was fortunate enough to have the moulded underlay recovered from an original set that was in fair condition so I used that as a base and recovered it.  Came out ok-ish.  What I'd have done without that..... I dunno.  Likely would have involved tape and glue!

Nick

This post contains attachments; to download them you must login.

Nick Jones
Somerset UK

Vitesse Mk 1.5 Convertible EFI, Survivor of RBRR 2008, HCR & 10CR 2009, HCR 2010, 10CR2011, HCR 2012, 10CR2013, 10CR2015, HCR 2016 & HCR 2017.
GT6 Mk3 Roto - project in progress
Spitfire MKIV son's project now on the road as a daily driver
2.5 PI Saloon now EFI (PIe?), Engine rebuilt and running sweet.  Diff howling...... Survivor of HCR 2013 & 2014 Gone to live in Swansea

http://www.tengaston.plus.com
Private Message Reply: 5 - 13
daver clasper
March 16, 2017, 5:45pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Just wondering if broad strips of Velcro would be an alternative to glue, as these cars can leak inside.
Private Message Reply: 6 - 13
TRock
March 16, 2017, 6:18pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.03
Thanks everyone for the quick input! The advice is very useful.

Thanks for sharing your pics Nick, you did a good job. It looks tidy.

I think, however, I have decided to bite the bullet and get a set of Newtons carpets. They do look like the best option and hopefully should last a long time in top condition. The installation sounds like it should be easy also.

Interesting idea Daver Clasper, velcro sounds like a good solution in terms of ease of removal. It also saves having to drill holes for the pop buttons. Has anyone tried velcro before?

Possibly somthing like these would do:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genu.....kHWLJuWtCiUhcWJK9jig
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-2.....LVPXk38dCmTgMtrT-vHg

Tom
Private Message Reply: 7 - 13
Bitumen Boy
March 16, 2017, 8:14pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.15
I think velcro could work quite well. The one problem I would expect would be fixing the one side to the carpet - I can't see the self adhesive stuff sticking for long, though the other side onto the panelwork should be OK so long as the paint is good. If you had access to an industrial sewing machine that would be ideal, though a good liquid glue - NOT water based, for obvious reasons - may do the trick.
Private Message Reply: 8 - 13
heraldcoupe
March 16, 2017, 8:48pm Report to Moderator

Mid-life crisis pending
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.85
If you go for the Newton set, get all parts out of the box and check them thoroughly before doing any trimming.

When properly made they are an excellent fit, but I have worked with two sets where the carpet had been poorly centred in the mould. Result was an excess at one edge, while cut short on the opposite side. Trimming small sections to fit and making the seams disappear was never my idea of fun, I felt that for the asking price, quality control left much to be desired,

Cheers,
Bill.

Enthusiast and collector of early Heralds.

"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Site Private Message Reply: 9 - 13
daver clasper
March 17, 2017, 8:40am Report to Moderator
Club Member
Though I suggested the Velcro, my car has fitted carpets, secured along the bottom of door aperture with alloy strip, tucked under bottom of rear seat and fastened under the side footwells, under the side card. by self tappers. It's neat and doesn't move about.

Sticking velcro to underside of carpet. Maybe PVA to prime it, then contact adhesive.
Private Message Reply: 10 - 13
Rosbif
March 17, 2017, 8:50am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.35
To stop the carpets in the front footwells moving I glued Velcro, or we call it in France "scratch", to the underside of the top piece and it holds itself to the carpet underneath. Make sure you use the part of the Velcro with the hooks. I used contact adhesive.
I works a treat.

Ruby : 1968 13/60 convertible
"I'm not rich enough to buy cheap"

"If it isn't broken don't fix it" - where's the fun in that?
Private Message Reply: 11 - 13
griffipaul
March 20, 2017, 1:55pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.01
Anybody any experience of James Paddock moulded carpets, they are a little cheaper than Newton Comm price at £239.
They could well be from  Newton or Adridge Trimming - anybody know.
Private Message Reply: 12 - 13
Jordan T
March 24, 2017, 11:59am Report to Moderator

My Herald's moulded carpet set came from James Paddocks.
Irrelevant really, as all of the molded carpet sets within the UK are manufactured by newton commercials.

Heraldine the 1967 Triumph Herald 1200 Saloon - Cherry Red/White
Delia the 2016 Mazda MX5 Icon -  Meteor Grey

Private Message Reply: 13 - 13
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Herald Carpet Advice

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread