Paula's Vitesse! :: Triumph Torque

Triumph Parts Sign up for our Newsletter Rimmer Bros

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Paula's Vitesse!
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Paula's Vitesse!
Users Browsing Forum
Baidu Spider and 22 Guests

Paula's Vitesse! Print
61 Pages « ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 » All Recommend Thread
Paula
October 23, 2017, 9:59pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Quoted from Nick Jones

Good to see that you were maintaining the Vitesse's natural position in the "overtaking" lane  

Well, I can sort of relate to that although on the whole getting to the destination without drama is always plan A.  It's also pleasing if you can arrange to breakdown somewhere convenient (near parts shop / cafe) and pleasant (ie nice view on a warm dry day, under cover if raining, well lit if dark).  In general I'd rather be fixing someone else's car as that way I can still escape if I fail.....

Well done on getting it moving again and yes, new hose and clips is a good idea - just be careful what you get to replace it with as there's alot of unsuitable stuff out there.

Nick

The most annoying breakdown so far was when a cable came loose on my alternator and the battery ran flat.
I was stuck for 3 hours only needing a jump start. I was in a garage and asked 2 people that came in, but no one would.
It was about 3am.
I wasn't happy to be broken down then!

Vitesse 6 Saloon  "Feargal" (Sharkey)
Site Private Message Reply: 840 - 908
Pete Lewis
October 25, 2017, 7:51am Report to Moderator

Tssc Herts and Beds A.O.
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.78
guys laugh when i persist about the darn rubber slivers but they breed with every hose connection and now youve had some
cunning little blighters , float back and forth in the fuel lines as the pressure and flow work away and then , pop up and jam a port up

good to kown you coasted to the shoulder ok ,  some wont let you in when trouble strikes and that can be more dangerous

pete

1964 1600 Vitesse 6 Cactus and Black , now  sold
now have T2000   Mk2 saloon in French Blue/grey trim  been  restored without running since 1997
now has power steering ,poly bushed and Alfa 156 seats
location  Luton
Private Message Reply: 841 - 908
glang
November 1, 2017, 9:04am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.62
Quoted from Pete Lewis

good to kown you coasted to the shoulder ok ,  some wont let you in when trouble strikes and that can be more dangerous

pete

Thats one of the things I like about the Herald/Vitesse as its a friendly car and in general people are pretty helpful. Its why Im glad Im not driving an E type!

Private Message Reply: 842 - 908
Paula
November 9, 2017, 2:21pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Feargal is in for his 48th MOT today.
I am lucky enough to have all the MOT's going back to 1969. I thought it would be nice to take him back to the first for his 50th in a couple of years, so i dug out the first MOT and found out he was looked after by the famous Tourist Trophy Garage in Farnham.
Unfortunately no longer there, but with a very interesting history.

https://scarfandgoggles.wordpress.com/2013/05/16/visiting-the-t-t-garage-farnham/

This post contains attachments; to download them you must login.

Site Private Message Reply: 843 - 908
Paula
November 24, 2017, 12:20pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
I'm going to have a crack at adjusting my doors tomorrow. My plan is to undo everything a bit and fiddle about until it looks right and then tighten it all back up again.
I read a post that JohnD suggested something like that.
Any top tips?

Site Private Message Reply: 844 - 908
glang
November 24, 2017, 2:10pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.62
hmmmm that doesnt look like its going to be easy and might even be down to a bit of the dreaded tub spread (search other posts to frighten yourself). Over the years the bases of the B posts move apart so that although the door rear top fits the rear bottom sticks out and its difficult to cure because any adjustment at the hinges will affect the leading edge as well. Your best bet may be to adjust the door catch plate so that the door closes in further which should reduce the amount the bottom sticks out. It has the added benefit of improving the door sealing (reducing wind noise) but may increase the force needed to shut it. If after doing this you find the glass is pressing too hard against the seal (dont slam the door as it is possible to break the glass) you can gently bend the quarterlight frame out slightly.
First have a good look at it before undoing anything, for example from inside the car with the door closed you can slide a lolly stick around the seal to see how compressed it is and if theres any tight points.....
Private Message Reply: 845 - 908
Paula
November 24, 2017, 2:38pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Quoted from glang
hmmmm that doesnt look like its going to be easy and might even be down to a bit of the dreaded tub spread (search other posts to frighten yourself). Over the years the bases of the B posts move apart so that although the door rear top fits the rear bottom sticks out and its difficult to cure because any adjustment at the hinges will affect the leading edge as well. Your best bet may be to adjust the door catch plate so that the door closes in further which should reduce the amount the bottom sticks out. It has the added benefit of improving the door sealing (reducing wind noise) but may increase the force needed to shut it. If after doing this you find the glass is pressing too hard against the seal (dont slam the door as it is possible to break the glass) you can gently bend the quarterlight frame out slightly.
First have a good look at it before undoing anything, for example from inside the car with the door closed you can slide a lolly stick around the seal to see how compressed it is and if theres any tight points.....

Oh crikey.
Thanks!

Site Private Message Reply: 846 - 908
Nick Jones
November 24, 2017, 4:15pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 2.21
It probably is worth a fiddle to see if you can make some improvement.  From the pics, you may get some gains but I doubt perfection is possible - though it's always a royal struggle on these!  Mark your starting points on the hinges though so you can get back there when patience wears thin!

Tub spread is definitely a possibility as it does produce that "sticky-out bottom corners" effect.  However, I have to disagree on the definition of tub-spread as it is actually the top of the B-pillars (ie where the door catches are) moving outwards.  It is fixable (not especially minor job) but definitely worth checking other factors first.

Other factors include
- general adjustment at hinges - on both door and A pillar
- Striker plate position
- Door shape.  That door looks to me as though it has been re-skinned and not very expertly.  One of the things that can go wrong is for the door to be twisted ("out of wind").  Part of the re-skinning process should be to fit the door to the car, twist it to suit, then put several decent tacks around the perimeter to hold it.  If this has not been done, or is not done right, the pressure of the door seal twists the door to look like yours.  Using the wrong, bubble-form door seals does not help.

Good luck.....

Nick

Nick Jones
Somerset UK

Vitesse Mk 1.5 Convertible EFI, Survivor of RBRR 2008, HCR & 10CR 2009, HCR 2010, 10CR2011, HCR 2012, 10CR2013, 10CR2015, HCR 2016 & HCR 2017.
GT6 Mk3 Roto - project in progress
Spitfire MKIV son's project now on the road as a daily driver
2.5 PI Saloon now EFI (PIe?), Engine rebuilt and running sweet.  Diff howling...... Survivor of HCR 2013 & 2014 Gone to live in Swansea

http://www.tengaston.plus.com
Private Message Reply: 847 - 908
JohnD
November 24, 2017, 4:40pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.51
Gosh, Paula, so long since we heard from you, I thought Feargal must be running like a top!
And a door adjustment post attributed to me?  Shome mishtake shurley?    SofS does NOT have well fitting doors - if they stay closed, I'm happy.

But if I may
- the bolts on the door for in and out, on the A-post for up and down.
- Use a length of timber to lever the door, against only slightly loose bolts, unlikely to damage paint.  Or loosen it completely support it with carboard in the shutlines, and tighetn up.

Several videos online, as long as you don't mind being greeted, "Hi, y'all, dudes!"

John

Serial Vitesse racer.

Old Blue.  1995-2001
Silverback. 2001-2007
SofS. 2007 - to date.

Private Message Reply: 848 - 908
Alex
November 24, 2017, 5:28pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Might be worth removing the door seals before you adjust anything to make sure they are not half your problem?

Alex

Triumph spitfire 1500 white.....rbr04,06,2012,2014 and 2016

RBRR 2004,2006,2008,2010, 2012,2014 and 2016

Triumph spitfire 1500 Blue for sale.

Triumph Herald 1200 CV project.

Andover,Hants
Private Message Reply: 849 - 908
Paula
November 24, 2017, 6:08pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Quoted from Nick Jones
It probably is worth a fiddle to see if you can make some improvement.  From the pics, you may get some gains but I doubt perfection is possible - though it's always a royal struggle on these!  Mark your starting points on the hinges though so you can get back there when patience wears thin!

Tub spread is definitely a possibility as it does produce that "sticky-out bottom corners" effect.  However, I have to disagree on the definition of tub-spread as it is actually the top of the B-pillars (ie where the door catches are) moving outwards.  It is fixable (not especially minor job) but definitely worth checking other factors first.

Other factors include
- general adjustment at hinges - on both door and A pillar
- Striker plate position
- Door shape.  That door looks to me as though it has been re-skinned and not very expertly.  One of the things that can go wrong is for the door to be twisted ("out of wind").  Part of the re-skinning process should be to fit the door to the car, twist it to suit, then put several decent tacks around the perimeter to hold it.  If this has not been done, or is not done right, the pressure of the door seal twists the door to look like yours.  Using the wrong, bubble-form door seals does not help.

Good luck.....

Nick

I'm liking this almost optimism!
The doors have been reskinned by the previous owner and the more i look the more i find half done jobs.
I am confident i can make it better, at least good enough to stop people shouting "Oi! Your doors not shut love!"
I have a whole day off tomorrow so expect many more pictures!
Thanks!

Site Private Message Reply: 850 - 908
Paula
November 24, 2017, 6:10pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Quoted from JohnD
Gosh, Paula, so long since we heard from you, I thought Feargal must be running like a top!
And a door adjustment post attributed to me?  Shome mishtake shurley?    SofS does NOT have well fitting doors - if they stay closed, I'm happy.

But if I may
- the bolts on the door for in and out, on the A-post for up and down.
- Use a length of timber to lever the door, against only slightly loose bolts, unlikely to damage paint.  Or loosen it completely support it with carboard in the shutlines, and tighetn up.

Several videos online, as long as you don't mind being greeted, "Hi, y'all, dudes!"

John

Fab!
Just what i need.
I have a list of jobs, just to make sure you've all had enough of me by this time Monday!

Site Private Message Reply: 851 - 908
Paula
November 24, 2017, 6:14pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Speaking of annoying you all again.
I also want to fix my non flashing main beams.
Am i right in thinking they should flash when i pull the stalk towards me?
If it turns out to be the switch would this work?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRI.....p2055119.m1438.l2649

I'm troubled by there only being 4 wires.

Site Private Message Reply: 852 - 908
Paula
November 24, 2017, 6:17pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Oh and i did this too.
So i could take it to the car with me.
http://www.club.triumph.org.uk/uploads/triumph_vitesse_wiring_diagram_3844.pdf

Site Private Message Reply: 853 - 908
Nick Jones
November 24, 2017, 6:38pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 2.21
Regarding your main beam flash; I'm pretty sure that early cars did not have this facility.  Not sure when this came along date-wise but IIRC my early '65 registered Herald 1200 (so presumably late '64 build) did not have this from birth.  It's straight forward enough to add - you fit the later switch - with the minor complication that you have to find a permanent live power source for the flash contact.  Use a double bullet junction from the horn supply maybe?

Wiring diagram looks like a great idea - print A3 and laminate!

Nick

Nick Jones
Somerset UK

Vitesse Mk 1.5 Convertible EFI, Survivor of RBRR 2008, HCR & 10CR 2009, HCR 2010, 10CR2011, HCR 2012, 10CR2013, 10CR2015, HCR 2016 & HCR 2017.
GT6 Mk3 Roto - project in progress
Spitfire MKIV son's project now on the road as a daily driver
2.5 PI Saloon now EFI (PIe?), Engine rebuilt and running sweet.  Diff howling...... Survivor of HCR 2013 & 2014 Gone to live in Swansea

http://www.tengaston.plus.com
Private Message Reply: 854 - 908
61 Pages « ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 » All Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Paula's Vitesse!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread