Paula's Vitesse! :: Triumph Torque

Triumph Parts Sign up for our Newsletter Rimmer Bros

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Paula's Vitesse!
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Paula's Vitesse!
Users Browsing Forum
cliftyhanger, Googlebot and 15 Guests

Paula's Vitesse! Print
61 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... » All Recommend Thread
daver clasper
January 5, 2017, 6:04pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Hi

The second photo looks different, as though the choke bar may be lifting the piston and needle for more fuel (as it would if choke is pulled out), though it's proberely the angle of photo.

If not on choke then then the bar is not in contact with the piston and piston should be resting on the bridge/body of carb (also the bars should move together, so check the clamp connecting them is not loose)  .

If running rich and mixture screw/jet is set right (though hard to determine if over fueling for another reason) then other main reasons for over fueling are sticking needle valve. punctured float, or floats set too high (though last one unlikely if was running well before).

You maybe know this stuff, though, thought I would mention it.

Cars that have not been used much or neglected a bit with maintenance can need a bit of de- bugging.

Good luck with it.

Dave
Private Message Reply: 60 - 908
glang
January 5, 2017, 6:18pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.62
well the choke looks like its working perfectly in your pics, did the other carb behave the same? While you've got the airfilter housing off you could try lifting each of the pistons that you can see and let them drop back down - there should be resistance to lifting due to the damping oil in the top of the carbs then they should drop back down smoothly and positively.
I do wonder about your battery/dynamo cos normally if theres enough ummmmph to start, the engine will run ok with the dynamo supplying the system. The battery certainly shouldnt go flat after a failed start or two and of course once started the ignition light should go out.....  
Private Message Reply: 61 - 908
daver clasper
January 5, 2017, 6:29pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Sorry. just re read. At first, thought pics were of both carbs with choke off
Private Message Reply: 62 - 908
Dogsbody47uk
January 5, 2017, 8:47pm Report to Moderator
1971 13/60 saloon and 1971 vitesse mk 2 saloon
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Quoted from JohnD
JJ,
Disagree - read my post 28, where I copied the instruction from the original manual on how to secure the steering column impact clamp.

The tightness of the grub screw is determined by tightening that, NOT the two bolts that secure the clamp on the column.
And the original instructions specifically say, that the grub screw should be hand tight, without bending the Allen key (I paraphrase).

This is exactly NOT what you suggest.
When two "experts"  (has beens, under pressure) are so diametrically opposed, perhaps the Court of CT should decide!
John

Ok. Its a bit off thread. Loosen the grub screw. Locate the shaft flat bit, tighten the 2 nuts/ bolts to correctly align the shafts. Tighten the grub screw to lock the sliding shafts. Tighten the grub screw lock nut. Simple!

First Triumph: 200cc Tiger Cub. Followed by in no particular order, 350 and 500 Royal Enfield Bullet, Herald 1200, Herald 13/60, Mini 1275 GT, Vitesse 2L convertible, Audi 80, Audi 80 Sport, Fiat 124 Sport Coupe, Triumph 2000, Mk 2 Estate, Fiat Tipo, Fiat Stilo, Fiat Uno, Peugeuot Turbo Diesel(yuk), Lancia HPE 2000ie (wow! a dream!) So far 3 Heralds and My fourth Vitesse in the garage. I may have forgotten some... It's my age.. Oh , Honda 400 four.. Terrifying! And the 2 Renault 5s. Oh, and the Ford Granada 3 litre estate..I think that's the lot.
Private Message Reply: 63 - 908
Saltddirk
January 6, 2017, 6:42am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Cant see from the pick which carb that is, nor do i know a lot about Vitesses,
but when you pushed the choke in, did the needle resit correctly? Feel underneath the carb if there is a piece of red plastic just push it upwards, it might just spring up seating the needles correctly. This happened fairly often on my spit with SU's, other versions might have different set up,  Sorry that I  am not very confident (or convincing if you want)  in explaining what to look for without having the thing in front of me....
Joys of classic motoring!
D

round the bend might be the best place to be.
slightly mad but mostly harmless
RBRR 14 16 
Private Message Reply: 64 - 908
Paula
January 6, 2017, 1:20pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.20
I'm a little scared of carbs, to many little bits! Something i have to get over.
I'll go and have another look with your comments in mind.
I have noticed a bit of a leak on the right hand carb.

Vitesse 6 Saloon  "Feargal" (Sharkey)
Site Private Message Reply: 65 - 908
Nick Jones
January 6, 2017, 3:02pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 2.21
Another possibility is that the needle valves inside the carbs are leaking a bit so the float chamber level increases.  This will make the car run rich even if the choke is off.  This shows up much more at idle as the engine takes least fuel so the rate of leakage exceeds rate of use.

If it's a small leak then it'll just make the car run rich at idle after a few minutes, if bigger them it will go on to flood out of the overflow drilling on the front face of the carb and into the airfilter.

This is a fairly common Stromberg CD foible and can be due to just tired needle valves, dirt or excessive fuel pressure from a dodgy modern replacement pump.

The Strombergs are the very early ones (as would be expected on a 1600) with a rather primitive choke arrangement - but they are also the simplest.

Nick

Nick Jones
Somerset UK

Vitesse Mk 1.5 Convertible EFI, Survivor of RBRR 2008, HCR & 10CR 2009, HCR 2010, 10CR2011, HCR 2012, 10CR2013, 10CR2015, HCR 2016 & HCR 2017.
GT6 Mk3 Roto - project in progress
Spitfire MKIV son's project now on the road as a daily driver
2.5 PI Saloon now EFI (PIe?), Engine rebuilt and running sweet.  Diff howling...... Survivor of HCR 2013 & 2014 Gone to live in Swansea

http://www.tengaston.plus.com
Private Message Reply: 66 - 908
Paula
January 6, 2017, 3:17pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
I think that's it!
The right carb is wet on the bottom.
I've driven it to the garage down the road after looking at it for a long time with a screwdriver in my hand.
I bottled it.. I used to clean the jet on my vespa on the side of the road regularly.
Oh the shame.
Please don't drum me out of the club!
Thanks again for all the help!
Haynes manual bought on ebay!

Site Private Message Reply: 67 - 908
TedTaylor
January 6, 2017, 3:57pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Quoted from Paula
Please don't drum me out of the club!
Thanks again for all the help!
Haynes manual bought on ebay!

Actually I think most of us following this thread admire you for being prepared to give sorting your problems a go!

MUT

Mad Uncle Ted!
Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional.

AFH849B Mk1 2000 period rally replica (under restoration ..... again) First re-built 1991
NAM616G Morris 1800 London Sydney/Monte/World Cup (awaiting restoration)
SCG115G Mk1 PI estate
WDE 76K Mk2 2500 estate (Woodie) RBRR 2014   2016  
LSE Soft Dash Range Rover with Brooklands body kit on LPG (Still for sale)

From the depths of the Forest of Dean....
Private Message Reply: 68 - 908
Paula
January 6, 2017, 4:24pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Quoted from TedTaylor

Actually I think most of us following this thread admire you for being prepared to give sorting your problems a go!

MUT

Thanks!
The feeling i got when it fired straight away after fitting the new ignition was pretty sweet.
Still a few jobs to do, but we have bonded.
No regrets. (yet)

Site Private Message Reply: 69 - 908
glang
January 6, 2017, 4:40pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.62
Quoted from Paula

Thanks!
The feeling i got when it fired straight away after fitting the new ignition was pretty sweet.
Still a few jobs to do, but we have bonded.
No regrets. (yet)

Watch out for that! Ive had my Vitesse 30years and talk to it now
Private Message Reply: 70 - 908
Paula
January 6, 2017, 4:46pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Oh oh

Site Private Message Reply: 71 - 908
Dogsbody47uk
January 6, 2017, 5:15pm Report to Moderator
1971 13/60 saloon and 1971 vitesse mk 2 saloon
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.60
I always talk to my Triumphs... especially when they've drawn blood...ungrateful little Bs!

First Triumph: 200cc Tiger Cub. Followed by in no particular order, 350 and 500 Royal Enfield Bullet, Herald 1200, Herald 13/60, Mini 1275 GT, Vitesse 2L convertible, Audi 80, Audi 80 Sport, Fiat 124 Sport Coupe, Triumph 2000, Mk 2 Estate, Fiat Tipo, Fiat Stilo, Fiat Uno, Peugeuot Turbo Diesel(yuk), Lancia HPE 2000ie (wow! a dream!) So far 3 Heralds and My fourth Vitesse in the garage. I may have forgotten some... It's my age.. Oh , Honda 400 four.. Terrifying! And the 2 Renault 5s. Oh, and the Ford Granada 3 litre estate..I think that's the lot.
Private Message Reply: 72 - 908
RobPearce
January 6, 2017, 5:26pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.45
I talk to mine, too.

Tessa also had problems with the float valve on the front (right hand) carb after I fitted a new fuel pump. It is a common problem, leading to really poor running just like you've found. Tessa's wasn't bad enough to stop her completely but possibly only because the affected carb was set rather on the lean side.

It's great that you've (hopefully) identified the problem and can get the garage to fix it.

Current fleet
1967 Vitesse 2L conv "Tessa"
1970 Spitfire Mk3 (project) "Toby"
1972 GT6 Mk3
Not enough time or space
Recently sold:
1972 2.5 PI estate "Harry" (gone to russell on here)
1973 Toledo 2-door "Spike" (gone to a club official)
Used to have:
1968 Vitesse 2L saloon
1980 Dolomite 1500
1977 Dolomite 1850
1980 Dolomite Sprint
1982 TR7 DHC Sprint
1975 2500S saloon
1971 Herald 13/60 Estate (with 1500 Spit engine)
1975 Stag
Private Message Reply: 73 - 908
daver clasper
January 6, 2017, 6:28pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Hi

From my experience, if it's wet at the bottom only (just the jet holder) then larger O ring between jet holder and float bowl failed, or small O ring between jet and jet holder. I think this is just leakage rather than flooding.

Float bowl gasket leakage will show fuel from below the float bowl gasket and would not be cause it's flooded.

Needle valves sticking or not seating has shown fuel sitting on the bridge (where the piston sits), though more extreme flooding it will come through the upper hole (breather/overflow?)on the right hand on front face of carb.

Had some experience with flooding on my vitesse, though not an expert mechanic at all. Aside from the springs etc around the spindles which are a bit more fiddly (take photos, refer to diagrams) which you don't have to tamper with to sort flooding and most things, earlier Strombergs are very simple with very few parts.

Good info on the web about them.

Hopefully not overloaded you with info.

Cheers, Dave

Private Message Reply: 74 - 908
61 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... » All Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Paula's Vitesse!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread