Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 24 Guests

Dynamo Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Rosbif
January 3, 2017, 10:59am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.35
Hi everyone
Last season the dynamo in my 13/60 stopped charging and I replaced it with another, putting the failed unit to one side as a winter investigation/ repair job. Well winter is here.
I have opened the unit and the brushes are well past their best one could say, so I will replace them.
The rest of the unit on a first quick inspection looks to be fine, a closer inspection is to follow in a few days time.
My question for the bright sparks amongst you (dynamo, electricity, sparks, OK not very original sorry ) what can I clean the insides with to get rid of the old carbon dust, grease, crud etc? Would brake cleaner be ok, it seems to be the thing for lots of other jobs, or maybe just put in the dish washer  when Mrs Me isn’t looking?

Just as a point of interest the unit is stamped Lucas C40 and 22715H (which I thought to be the serial number but on investigation seems to be a model number as well). It also has 6 68 which I assume to be the date of manufacture. The car was first registered at the beginning of august ’68. If 6 68 is the manufactured date then this unit could be the original item although surely it must have been rebuilt or had brushes changed in the last 47 years.

Anyway, what to use for cleaning?

Thanks to all and happy Triumphing in 2017

Ruby : 1968 13/60 convertible
"I'm not rich enough to buy cheap"

"If it isn't broken don't fix it" - where's the fun in that?
Logged Online
Private Message
ferny
January 3, 2017, 11:16am Report to Moderator

Mr Hoppy!
Club Officer
Club member
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Can of contact cleaner?

Acclaim - fully working and on the road
13/60 Herald - mx5 powered and other such fun things, legal enough...
Mk1 2000 - it's still alive, just sleeping
Expert 815d - the slug

If in doubt, do up until you hear the crack and then go another 1/4 turn to ensure tightness.
Site Private Message Windows Live Messenger Skype Reply: 1 - 9
Nick Jones
January 3, 2017, 1:09pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 2.21

Nick Jones
Somerset UK

Vitesse Mk 1.5 Convertible EFI, Survivor of RBRR 2008, HCR & 10CR 2009, HCR 2010, 10CR2011, HCR 2012, 10CR2013, 10CR2015, HCR 2016 & HCR 2017.
GT6 Mk3 Roto - project in progress
Spitfire MKIV son's project now on the road as a daily driver
2.5 PI Saloon now EFI (PIe?), Engine rebuilt and running sweet.  Diff howling...... Survivor of HCR 2013 & 2014 Gone to live in Swansea

http://www.tengaston.plus.com
Private Message Reply: 2 - 9
herald948
January 3, 2017, 5:53pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.47
Yes to that likely being the original dynamo; hang onto it!

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph Herald engine with wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22)
http://triumph-herald.us
Site Private Message AIM Reply: 3 - 9
piman
January 3, 2017, 6:12pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.01
Hello Rosbif,

a quick bench test for a dynamo is to connect the armature and field connections together then apply 12v between the two terminals and the body and it should motor.

Alec

Oswestry, Shropshire.

Mk1 1\2 P.I.,Jaguar Mk 2, very long term restoration. Jaguar X Type estate 2.5, Hymer 564 motorhome.
Private Message Reply: 4 - 9
Rosbif
January 4, 2017, 9:25am Report to Moderator

Quoted from herald948
Yes to that likely being the original dynamo; hang onto it!

My intention was simply to repair/refurbish the unit as an indoor winter job but as it looks to be the original it is now a point of honour to get it running and keep it.

Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 5 - 9
Rosbif
January 4, 2017, 9:30am Report to Moderator

Quoted from piman
Hello Rosbif,

a quick bench test for a dynamo is to connect the armature and field connections together then apply 12v between the two terminals and the body and it should motor.

Alec

I remember from my school physics lessons, way back when the apple tree Newton sat under was still an apple, that generators and motors were basically the same thing. Mechanical energy in electrical energy out for one and electrical energy in mechanical out for the other. So good tip. I had thought of connecting the dynamo when rebuilt to the electric drill and putting a volt meter across the terminals. I'll do both just for the fun of it

Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 6 - 9
JohnD
January 4, 2017, 9:53am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.51
It was Charles Kettering, the genius who invented the contact breaker ignition system, the electric cash register and much else, who provided the first electric starter for Cadillac, that doubled as a dynamo!
And in 1911!
So the idea that a generator was a motor and vice versa was known then.
His invention needed a overrun clutch and other parts to achieve both tasks, so later they were separated, until now, full-circle, we begin to have vehicles that use motor-generators to reclaim kinetic energy rather than wasting it as brake heat, store it and then use it to accelerate again.

Little is new, everything that goes around, comes around, like energy!
John

Serial Vitesse racer.

Old Blue.  1995-2001
Silverback. 2001-2007
SofS. 2007 - to date.

Private Message Reply: 7 - 9
Spitfire6
January 4, 2017, 5:39pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.36
Hi,
The first electric car  I built in 1980 utilised a dynamo for motor. Worked fine.

Cheers,
Iain.

Me in Burnley, GB
Spitfire 6 EFI Alpha N (Emerald K3 ECU). Big fat 215/40/16's on the backside. (They fit and minimal camber change). Custom cooling system with 20% EG for winter with 2% corrosion inhibitor. LED's all round. NT 5W40 Oil. 3.27 diff with a LSD by Quaife. TR6 Transmission + J Type.

PUG 206CC 2L twin-Cam. NT 5W40 Oil
Automation and control systems engineer.
RIP Step-7 Classic. Long live Portal V14
IEEE Member
G6SBH
Yaesu FT 102 with all the extra's.

http://www.SpitFire6.UK               Main site- work in progress

Site Private Message Skype Reply: 8 - 9
Rosbif
January 29, 2017, 2:58pm Report to Moderator

At long last I got round to replacing the brushes and cleaning up the dynamo. You can see in the Before photo the state of the old brush (don't need to point out which is the old one and which the new and the general state of the plate etc. The rest of the dynamo was in a similar condition.
The After photo shows it with the brushes replaced and everything cleaned, I also gave the rest a bit of a clean. The done photo shows the reassembled unit with a lick of paint. I didn't want it to look brand new as it would show the rest of the engine bay up   I wanted it to look acceptable.
I used brake cleaner and a toothbrush to get the crud off and an old screwdriver to remove old paint from a previous tidy up. The toothbrush - before anyone asks- wasn't my daily one, I borrowed one from She How Must Be Obeyed
I tested it using the method mentioned in earlier posts and it works, thanks for the advice.

Before
[img][/img]

After
[img][/img]

Done
[img][/img]

Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Dynamo

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread