Users Browsing Forum
Rosbif, Stuart Wilson and 25 Guests

Engine upgrade advice please Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
pardown
December 21, 2016, 2:00pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.02
Hi all
I am new to the club not having owned a Triumph since 1983 when I sold my lovely maroon TR7 to put down a deposit on my first flat.
I have recently acquired a 1969 Herald Convertible which I intend to restore as a local run around for my wife (who was also the main instigator in selling the TR7 all those years ago!!)
The car is missing its engine and gearbox and so my question is what can I fit easily that would perhaps offer a little more performance than the original.
I was thinking possibly Spitfire with overdrive gearbox might be nice. Am I correct in thinking this is a straight swap in terms of engine mounts/space etc. I would love to put in a Vitesse engine but these appear more difficult to source and may be require additional modifications?
What will the original diff take before requiring upgrading?
Are there any modern engine alternatives? I was thinking possibly K-Series. Anyone with any experience?
I will also be looking to replace the seats with something more comfortable. Is there any particular one that is the seat of choice? MX5? May be if I go down the Spitfire engine route (later model) I could also use the seats.
Any comments good or bad will be very much welcome.
Regards
Phil

Private Message
Casper
December 21, 2016, 2:39pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.24
A couple of threads on seats:
http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1429280338/s-0/
http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1346336351/

Your thinking is okay on engine/gearbox.  Pretty much any 4 cylinder Triumph engine, so Spit would be good, or 1500 (although there are some issues there).  Diff should be okay (strong enough) but depending on what you want you might be wise to use a 3.89 (or for a 1500, a 3.63.

K series not common.  Most of the modern conversions are Zetec.  most anything is possible.

C.

Herald Anorak
Private Message Reply: 1 - 31
JohnD
December 21, 2016, 2:53pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.51
Yes, you have to look around for a triumph six engine, but they would transform a Herald.
The 2.5 is  "awesome"!

No structural mods required.
John

Serial Vitesse racer.

Old Blue.  1995-2001
Silverback. 2001-2007
SofS. 2007 - to date.

Private Message Reply: 2 - 31
pardown
December 22, 2016, 10:21am Report to Moderator

Thanks Guys.
The seat thread is very useful.
As a six is a longer engine I am guessing it would sit differently longitudinally in order to retain the position of the gear lever. Further forward? Does this cause any problems?
It sounds like a great idea but assume brakes, suspension and possibly the chassis would require upgrading too?
Private Message Reply: 3 - 31
rustbuckit2011
December 22, 2016, 10:44am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.05
Mx5 1.6
Weld some engine mounts to the main rails, shorten the remote shifter.
Nothing wild about it but bulletproof and rev happy (~110 bhp in standard tune). Triumph diff will survive. Weigh about the same as triumph lump- maybe a little lighter- so brakes are fine.
And how cool is this--

This post contains attachments; to download them you must login.

1960 Herald Coupe Replica - mazda, datsun, and all over the garage floor
1964 Herald 1200 coupe - standard.

https://www.facebook.com/rust.buckit.94
Private Message Reply: 4 - 31
animator
December 22, 2016, 11:10am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.01
I've got a 1969 13/60 convertible with the Spit 1500 engine and overdrive gearbox, all fitted in perfectly on original mounts.
Private Message Reply: 5 - 31
JohnD
December 22, 2016, 11:28am Report to Moderator

Quoted from pardown
Thanks Guys.
The seat thread is very useful.
As a six is a longer engine I am guessing it would sit differently longitudinally in order to retain the position of the gear lever. Further forward? Does this cause any problems?
It sounds like a great idea but assume brakes, suspension and possibly the chassis would require upgrading too?

The six is mounted to the suspension turrets by bosses cast into the sides of the block, so cylinder No.1 is in front of, and No.2 alongside the turrets, and the gearbox in more or less he same position as in a four.   Anyway, the gear lever's position in both engines is determined by the length of the extension that puts it 18" behind the 'box itself.    I have a shortened extension among my spares, presumably from a project that positioned the engine much further back in search of equal weight distribution.      That can be done by using a saloon front plate, that mounts the engine like a four cylinder, and so about nine inches further back.   But I don't imagine you want to go that far!

The chassis is the same.     Front uprights were upgraded for the six, but only in a minor way.   Stiffer springs required, just exchange them, and a road going Herald with discs and a six engine will be adequately braked.    I don't know what propshaft a Herald has - the Vitesse/GT6 was given one with a sliding spline, instead of the Spitfire's flexible coupling, and  was given wider flanges between the shaft and the diff.     Rear suspension was basically the same, in the various evolutions.

John

Serial Vitesse racer.

Old Blue.  1995-2001
Silverback. 2001-2007
SofS. 2007 - to date.

Private Message Reply: 6 - 31
Davemate
December 22, 2016, 12:20pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.17
Quoted from animator
I've got a 1969 13/60 convertible with the Spit 1500 engine and overdrive gearbox, all fitted in perfectly on original mounts.

But with a shorter propshaft,that's all the mods I needed when I fitted a 1500 and overdrive box to my herald.
Oh and a hammer to fold back about an inch of the trans tunnel so I could do the prop bolts up from topside  

Herald 1500,rallyfied- overdrive,swing spring with 1500 spit diff,440lb front springs, adjustable height spax on front and back, trunionless conversion,thicker arb,rear roll cage,harnesses,bucket seats,extra gauges,Vitesse steering wheel,genuine 5.5j smoothies wheels,4 branch manifold
Still for sale

Mk1 2000 saloon,now a 2.5   

Timing marshal CT autosolo Bovington 2011,2012,half of 2013,2014 and 2016
Marshalled Essex winter rally 2013
RBRR 2012, co driver
24th Nachtrit 2012, navigator
Chinese rally 2013, navigator
Essex winter rally 2014, navigator
HCR 2014, co driver
RBRR 2014, co driver
Essex winter rally 2014,navigator
Warwickshire winter rally 2016,driver
HCR 2016 driver
Essex winter rally 2016 navigator
Mr Radders official calm down buddy
Private Message Reply: 7 - 31
JohnD
December 22, 2016, 12:28pm Report to Moderator

A Hammer?  Dear Boy, you'll be using a screwdriver as a chisel next!

The standard fitting for an O/d box is a cut back tunnel, with a curved cover that self-tapper-screws in place.
Easily done!

John

Serial Vitesse racer.

Old Blue.  1995-2001
Silverback. 2001-2007
SofS. 2007 - to date.

Private Message Reply: 8 - 31
ferny
December 22, 2016, 1:16pm Report to Moderator

Mr Hoppy!
Club Officer
Club member
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Quoted from rustbuckit2011
Triumph diff will survive.

No, it doesn't!

Acclaim - fully working and on the road
13/60 Herald - mx5 powered and other such fun things, legal enough...
Mk1 2000 - it's still alive, just sleeping
Expert 815d - the slug

If in doubt, do up until you hear the crack and then go another 1/4 turn to ensure tightness.
Site Private Message Windows Live Messenger Skype Reply: 9 - 31
Davemate
December 22, 2016, 3:33pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.17
Quoted from JohnD

The standard fitting for an O/d box is a cut back tunnel, with a curved cover that self-tapper-screws in place.
Easily done!

John

I just hammered back an inch or so, the cardboard tunnel still covers over the hammered back edge

As for useing a screwdriver as a chisel :- yep guilty as charged  
I've used a chisel as a screwdriver in the past as well  
Cut the hole - insert lock - do screws up, one tool does all  

Herald 1500,rallyfied- overdrive,swing spring with 1500 spit diff,440lb front springs, adjustable height spax on front and back, trunionless conversion,thicker arb,rear roll cage,harnesses,bucket seats,extra gauges,Vitesse steering wheel,genuine 5.5j smoothies wheels,4 branch manifold
Still for sale

Mk1 2000 saloon,now a 2.5   

Timing marshal CT autosolo Bovington 2011,2012,half of 2013,2014 and 2016
Marshalled Essex winter rally 2013
RBRR 2012, co driver
24th Nachtrit 2012, navigator
Chinese rally 2013, navigator
Essex winter rally 2014, navigator
HCR 2014, co driver
RBRR 2014, co driver
Essex winter rally 2014,navigator
Warwickshire winter rally 2016,driver
HCR 2016 driver
Essex winter rally 2016 navigator
Mr Radders official calm down buddy
Private Message Reply: 10 - 31
pardown
December 23, 2016, 8:56am Report to Moderator

Thinking about all the advice my current thoughts are......

Spitfire - nice neat solution. Easier to source than a Six but any engine gearbox will likely require rebuilding which is not a problem but additional cost.
Six - again nice original type of solution but difficult to source and as above will require (more) expensive rebuild.
K Series - big fan of a K series engine. Plenty around but conversion to rear wheel drive would be expensive and a gearbox (type 9?)would have to be sourced/rebuilt too.
MX5 - Big fan of the MX5 too. Plenty around and already rear wheel drive. Sweet gearbox. Seats included! Could be the most economic solution. Ferny comments - need to change the diff? Is this from experience? Is the answer to switch to a GT6/Vitesse or is there a better option?

Thanks again.
Phil
Private Message Reply: 11 - 31
pardown
December 23, 2016, 9:04am Report to Moderator

......oh I nearly forgot.

Shortening the remote shifter has been mentioned a few times.
Is this a DIY job? I don't have one to look at but are they not generally in a cast alloy casing?
Private Message Reply: 12 - 31
ferny
December 23, 2016, 10:10am Report to Moderator

Mr Hoppy!
Club Officer
Club member
Quoted from pardown

MX5 - Big fan of the MX5 too. Plenty around and already rear wheel drive. Sweet gearbox. Seats included! Could be the most economic solution. Ferny comments - need to change the diff? Is this from experience? Is the answer to switch to a GT6/Vitesse or is there a better option?

Yes.

https://youtu.be/TIyk0F093VY

That's mine against George's rather special race GT6. It's fitted with a stronger 3.63 and I wasn't launching it otherwise it would die. The year before it had a 4.11 and again I was only rolling off the line before gently putting my foot down. That did enough damage to kill it in 4th gear at 20mph (luckily) 100 feet from my home.

Expert 815d - the slug

If in doubt, do up until you hear the crack and then go another 1/4 turn to ensure tightness.
Site Private Message Windows Live Messenger Skype Reply: 13 - 31
rustbuckit2011
December 23, 2016, 10:17am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.05
The shifter shorten is a diy job. Ill put a thread on it in the tech section one day. It is seriously easy- no welding, just 2 cuts, one hole and a bit of spannering.

The mx5 runs the same diff ratio as the herald (4.11) so your speedo will still read true. You will have to jimmy up a cable made from the mazda to herald ends.

I was under the impression that the 13/60 diffs were essentially as strong as the vitesse units, just a different ratio- having said that- I have a Subaru diff so I guess Im just guessing! The vitesse has 159 N.M of torque, the mazda 136 N.M-  torque and weight kill diffs- your car should be lighter and have less torque. Maybe just try to hold back on the burnouts if you can...

Edit-- sorry Ferny you posted while i was typing- logic is no substitute for experience - I'll stand corrected on the diff!

1960 Herald Coupe Replica - mazda, datsun, and all over the garage floor
1964 Herald 1200 coupe - standard.

https://www.facebook.com/rust.buckit.94
Private Message Reply: 14 - 31
Casper
December 23, 2016, 10:51am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.24
Quoted Text
But with a shorter propshaft,that's all the mods I needed when I fitted a 1500 and overdrive box to my herald.

http://www.canleyclassics.com/technical-archive/propshaft-problems

C.

Herald Anorak
Private Message Reply: 15 - 31
Sheepy
December 23, 2016, 11:34am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Quoted from JohnD

No structural mods required.
John

a Friend of ours (me and Dirk) has a herald with a six in it, he had to mod the chassis.
i will ask dirk to chime in and explain as he knows the story about it

Cheers
Shaun

i'm worried that when I die my wife will sell all my car parts for what I told her they were worth!  

67 MK3 spit
42 Chevy cargo truck
Some bikes (not push bikes)
Land Rover series 3 (doing it up to sell)
Belgium (I'm Binglish)
RBRR 2014 'team broom' in the renown!
Private Message Reply: 16 - 31
Sheepy
December 23, 2016, 11:39am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Mx5 1.6
And how cool is this--

that does look good! (when finished, as i presume it will be in stainless or alu and not card) i was thinking the same, but the lettering on top of one of the cam covers
the mazda lumps are great, rev like crazy (ferny kept pushing me to rev his higher but i wouldnt) until i got my own and tried it!
engine and box in one go (with a little modification) easier than trying to mate a different box to a different engine
plus i have seen them with carb conversion to make them look even more retro

regards
shaun

Cheers
Shaun

i'm worried that when I die my wife will sell all my car parts for what I told her they were worth!  

67 MK3 spit
42 Chevy cargo truck
Some bikes (not push bikes)
Land Rover series 3 (doing it up to sell)
Belgium (I'm Binglish)
RBRR 2014 'team broom' in the renown!
Private Message Reply: 17 - 31
Saltddirk
December 23, 2016, 1:06pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.43
That mate of ours had to cut out a slot in the O/S chassis rail (what in UK would be passenger side) to allow the clutch operating cylinder to clear the chassis. Sure about it because I told him that he now had created a stress point, made a square cut top and side and then inversed the cut off so he now has a 3 sided box. (if that makes sense). he should have done so incorporating some Radii. (look at how Triumph dimpled the chassis rails on the spit to sit the GB, no square line in sight)
I believe he used the original mounting points up front
He also had to install a spacer between the prop shaft and the GB. I know I gave him my non OD prop from the spit, but can not remember if it is a OD box. Again he made IMO a hash of it as he just used longer bolts to bolt GB and Prop together with the flange in the middle. Better would have been to use threaded holes and short bolts in and out 45 deg out sync. Not sure if it matters with the kind of power from a Vitesse engine, but if with his set up the bolts work loose there is a longer lever to do damage.

Just my 2 cents, but before modifying you should look at it from all angles

round the bend might be the best place to be.
slightly mad but mostly harmless
RBRR 14 16 
Private Message Reply: 18 - 31
ferny
December 23, 2016, 2:04pm Report to Moderator

Mr Hoppy!
Club Officer
Club member
The shifter shorten is a diy job. Ill put a thread on it in the tech section one day. It is seriously easy- no welding, just 2 cuts, one hole and a bit of spannering.

The mx5 runs the same diff ratio as the herald (4.11) so your speedo will still read true. You will have to jimmy up a cable made from the mazda to herald ends.

I was under the impression that the 13/60 diffs were essentially as strong as the vitesse units, just a different ratio- having said that- I have a Subaru diff so I guess Im just guessing! The vitesse has 159 N.M of torque, the mazda 136 N.M-  torque and weight kill diffs- your car should be lighter and have less torque. Maybe just try to hold back on the burnouts if you can...

Edit-- sorry Ferny you posted while i was typing- logic is no substitute for experience - I'll stand corrected on the diff!

You can't discount age and what's happened during that time either. For all I know my diff was 47 years old when it went! I know of others going shortly after Triumph engines have seen 100bhp.
Subaru is my plan as well. I just need to find the correct parts and at a reasonable price.

Quoted from Sheepy

that does look good! (when finished, as i presume it will be in stainless or alu and not card) i was thinking the same, but the lettering on top of one of the cam covers
the mazda lumps are great, rev like crazy (ferny kept pushing me to rev his higher but i wouldnt) until i got my own and tried it!
engine and box in one go (with a little modification) easier than trying to mate a different box to a different engine
plus i have seen them with carb conversion to make them look even more retro

regards
shaun

I'd only owned it about a week before bring it over to you.

Expert 815d - the slug

Site Private Message Windows Live Messenger Skype Reply: 19 - 31
Nick Jones
December 23, 2016, 2:26pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 2.21
Quoted from Saltddirk
That mate of ours had to cut out a slot in the O/S chassis rail (what in UK would be passenger side) to allow the clutch operating cylinder to clear the chassis. Sure about it because I told him that he now had created a stress point, made a square cut top and side and then inversed the cut off so he now has a 3 sided box. (if that makes sense). he should have done so incorporating some Radii. (look at how Triumph dimpled the chassis rails on the spit to sit the GB, no square line in sight)
I believe he used the original mounting points up front
He also had to install a spacer between the prop shaft and the GB. I know I gave him my non OD prop from the spit, but can not remember if it is a OD box. Again he made IMO a hash of it as he just used longer bolts to bolt GB and Prop together with the flange in the middle. Better would have been to use threaded holes and short bolts in and out 45 deg out sync. Not sure if it matters with the kind of power from a Vitesse engine, but if with his set up the bolts work loose there is a longer lever to do damage.

Just my 2 cents, but before modifying you should look at it from all angles

He must have been using a big saloon box not a Vitesse box.  If using a saloon box it is perfectly possible to use the slave cylinder parts from a Sprint and no need to molest the chassis..

It's not the MX5 engine that kills the diff...... it's the drag racing!

Nick

Nick Jones
Somerset UK

Vitesse Mk 1.5 Convertible EFI, Survivor of RBRR 2008, HCR & 10CR 2009, HCR 2010, 10CR2011, HCR 2012, 10CR2013, 10CR2015, HCR 2016 & HCR 2017.
GT6 Mk3 Roto - project in progress
Spitfire MKIV son's project now on the road as a daily driver
2.5 PI Saloon now EFI (PIe?), Engine rebuilt and running sweet.  Diff howling...... Survivor of HCR 2013 & 2014 Gone to live in Swansea

http://www.tengaston.plus.com
Private Message Reply: 20 - 31
Saltddirk
December 23, 2016, 6:45pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Quoted from Nick Jones

He must have been using a big saloon box not a Vitesse box.  If using a saloon box it is perfectly possible to use the slave cylinder parts from a Sprint and no need to molest the chassis..

It's not the MX5 engine that kills the diff...... it's the drag racing!

Nick

Nick,
You are right, the engine and box came out of a crashed Mk1 IIRC
He  also slotted it in as is, no swapping of components. I am sure he was not aware of the possibility in using a Sprint assy.

Speaking of diff I know he changed it later on because I gave him my old spit diff so he could use the flanges (?) details and memory are a bit hazy (and no that's not due to adult beverages) at the moment)

D

RBRR 14 16 
Private Message Reply: 21 - 31
Saltddirk
December 23, 2016, 6:47pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Oh,
Should have added. He had to install an ugly go-faster style air scoop on the bonnet to clear the new set up...

as you might have noticed I am not a fan of his modification.

RBRR 14 16 
Private Message Reply: 22 - 31
JohnD
December 23, 2016, 8:05pm Report to Moderator

That would have been because of the inclined engine installation in the saloon.
Canted to the right, the intake manifold was angle so that the carbs were vertical (or horizontal - you know what I mean).
When installed, ebgine vertical in the small chassis, the manifol;d stick sup and fouls the bonnet.
Fitting a Vitesse/GT6 manifold cures .

John

Serial Vitesse racer.

Old Blue.  1995-2001
Silverback. 2001-2007
SofS. 2007 - to date.

Private Message Reply: 23 - 31
Nick Jones
December 24, 2016, 11:48am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 2.21
Returning to the OP, as the brief is for a run-around for the wife there've been some fairly OTT suggestions.

For that purpose there's nothing much wrong with a Triumph 4 cylinder in the original pattern.  The Herald 1300 is powerful enough as it comes but it is easy to release a few more ponies with some basic mods (along the lines of bringing up to something more like Mk3 Spitfire spec).  This means that there is no need to mess with the brakes, suspension or gearing although over-drive is always nice to have if it's going to be used on longer journeys.  It's probably also an advantage to have the later 4 synchro gearbox rather than subjecting SWMBO to the crash first gear of the original.

Donors would include
Another Herald 13/60
Spitfire Mk3 or IV (latter will be alot more common and have a 4 synchro gearbox)
early Dolomite or Toledo 1300 (later ones have the single rail gearbox which is not a bad thing apart from needing an odd length propshaft).  These would need the sump swapping.

The easiest route to more grunt (though not much more power) is to use the 1500 engine which is externally identical.  This has a fair bit more torque but is much less keen to rev.  To work properly as a package you need to swap the gearing (diff) to either a 3.89:1 with an overdrive gearbox or a 3.63:1.  The brakes and suspension remain adequate.  The easiest route would be to buy a hopelessly rusty 1500 Spitfire as a donor and swap the mechanicals over as that'll give everything needed bar the propshaft.  1500 Toledo/Dolomites are also possible but need a bit more messing about.

If you still want more then you could turn it into a Vitesse, which is a nice car but more different from a Herald than some might think.  Again, the only viable way to do this properly is with a terminally rusty but mechanically ok Vitesse as a donor as many parts are different.  A Herald with a T2000 lump stuffed into it.......  

To go for a more modern engine the options are
Suzuki 1300 from a SJ413 or Jimny with the 5 speed gearbox.
MX5 engine and box (early 1600 or 1800).  Come as a package and fits without huge effort.  As mentioned above there is at least one running around on twin SUs if you don't fancy injection and all that entails.  Not so powerful as to make retaining the original diff, brakes etc completely daft.
Ford zetec (iron block) plus T9 5 speed.  Been done a quite a few Spitfires now with considerable success and so Heralds should be equally possible.  Unless you pick one of the "little" ones you will be wanting bigger brakes, suspension mods and a diff ratio change.

My personal choice would be the rusty 1500 Spit as a donor route - and make sure I got one with overdrive.  A well sorted 1500 Herald is a very usable car and not so very far from what Triumph intended.

Nick

Nick Jones
Somerset UK

Vitesse Mk 1.5 Convertible EFI, Survivor of RBRR 2008, HCR & 10CR 2009, HCR 2010, 10CR2011, HCR 2012, 10CR2013, 10CR2015, HCR 2016 & HCR 2017.
GT6 Mk3 Roto - project in progress
Spitfire MKIV son's project now on the road as a daily driver
2.5 PI Saloon now EFI (PIe?), Engine rebuilt and running sweet.  Diff howling...... Survivor of HCR 2013 & 2014 Gone to live in Swansea

http://www.tengaston.plus.com
Private Message Reply: 24 - 31
cliftyhanger
December 24, 2016, 12:05pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 2.24
Nick has left out the other Ford engine choice, the Zetec SE, the all alloy version. An easier fit I think than the Zetec E iron block type (I have the Zetec E in my spitfire) but requires a special bellhousing to fit the type 9 gearbox.

One word of caution, do not underestimate the cost/time/skillset of changing to a modern engine. Not as easy as many make out! I have a T shirt about that all somewhere....

Have to agree with Nick, a 1500 herald is a very good car.....and very simple/quick/easy conversion

Clive Senior

Location-Brighton, East Sussex
Foxy is here, 1500od tax exempt Toledo. Now has the decent engine back in Slant 4 engine bolted in, sprint box and axle.Now has fresh MoT. Needs paint though.
Spitfire Zetec project is started work progressing slooooowly on the road!
Private Message Reply: 25 - 31
Steve P
December 24, 2016, 1:13pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.21
My thoughts as the owner of a 13/60 convertible Herald which is about to get a slightly modified 1500 and a Vitesse convertible with a modified 2.5 PI engine and Saloon gearbox.

The Herald currently has a 1300 large bearing Spit engine with twin carbs,3.63 diff and single rail O/D gearbox.The car drives very well and is nippy enough and with the modified gearing will cruise at 70 all day.I have built a 1500 just to give it more torque.
I also want to upgrade the brakes to Vitesse spec with 1144 pads as i find these great on the Vitesse.(Too much dust though).

The Vitesse has a big saloon gearbox with J type overdrive and a 3.27 diff with a heavy duty carrier and new CW+P to try and cope with the 150+ bhp it makes.I also did the CV conversion after snapping a drive shaft.
The Vitesse is a lot heavier on the front and my other half wont drive it.

Its great fun with all the power and i have used it on the RBRR and various long distance tours,i fitted the bucket type seats out of a Bond, i find these really comfortable.I used the Vitesse seats in the Herald as these are slightly wider and more comfortable than Herald ones.

Neither have head rests but that doesn`t bother me.

If its a daily for the wife i would definitely stay with a four pot,whether it be Triumph,Mazda,Ford or whatever you fancy fitting in there.
Steve

No. of Triumphs owned..2
No. of Triumphs working..2
Private Message Reply: 26 - 31
TedTaylor
December 25, 2016, 8:57pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Quoted from JohnD
John

'ere whats this running down 'ammers for    Gods greatest gift to man - especially big 'uns.

And as for old screwdrivers used as chisels (and some times new ones) God's second greatest gift.

MUT

Mad Uncle Ted!
Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional.

AFH849B Mk1 2000 period rally replica (under restoration ..... again) First re-built 1991
NAM616G Morris 1800 London Sydney/Monte/World Cup (awaiting restoration)
SCG115G Mk1 PI estate
WDE 76K Mk2 2500 estate (Woodie) RBRR 2014   2016  
LSE Soft Dash Range Rover with Brooklands body kit on LPG (Still for sale)

From the depths of the Forest of Dean....
Private Message Reply: 27 - 31
esxefi
December 29, 2016, 12:00pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.42
^yes they don't make 'hit through' screwdrivers for nothing you know

http://www.screwfix.com/p/scre.....GtmdECFQIL0wod0fUN0g
Private Message Reply: 28 - 31
TedTaylor
December 29, 2016, 2:00pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Quoted from esxefi
^yes they don't make 'hit through' screwdrivers for nothing you know

http://www.screwfix.com/p/scre.....GtmdECFQIL0wod0fUN0g

Spoil sport

MUT

Mad Uncle Ted!
Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional.

AFH849B Mk1 2000 period rally replica (under restoration ..... again) First re-built 1991
NAM616G Morris 1800 London Sydney/Monte/World Cup (awaiting restoration)
SCG115G Mk1 PI estate
WDE 76K Mk2 2500 estate (Woodie) RBRR 2014   2016  
LSE Soft Dash Range Rover with Brooklands body kit on LPG (Still for sale)

From the depths of the Forest of Dean....
Private Message Reply: 29 - 31
pardown
December 29, 2016, 2:51pm Report to Moderator

Thanks all for your views, comments and ideas.
V8's and standing quarters etc are all very tempting but as Nick said, i must keep to the brief!!!!
I also take the point that any modern transplant should not be underestimated in terms of difficulty and hence time.
I think there are expectations for summer use 2017!!!
In considering everything I think the 1500 Spitfire with overdrive is probably the sensible route. Sourcing a rusty one and taking off what is needed.
Anyone got a spare one tucked away?
Private Message Reply: 30 - 31
pardown
December 29, 2016, 2:51pm Report to Moderator

Thanks all for your views, comments and ideas.
V8's and standing quarters etc are all very tempting but as Nick said, i must keep to the brief!!!!
I also take the point that any modern transplant should not be underestimated in terms of difficulty and hence time.
I think there are expectations for summer use 2017!!!
In considering everything I think the 1500 Spitfire with overdrive is probably the sensible route. Sourcing a rusty one and taking off what is needed.
Anyone got a spare one tucked away?
Private Message Reply: 31 - 31
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Engine upgrade advice please

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread