Panic Stations!!...(Urgent - help!) :: Triumph Torque

Triumph Parts Sign up for our Newsletter Rimmer Bros

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Panic Stations!!...(Urgent - help!)
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Panic Stations!!...(Urgent - help!)
Users Browsing Forum
animator and 20 Guests

Panic Stations!!...(Urgent - help!) Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Scimher
December 21, 2016, 10:17am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.23
...1200 Herald convertible late '64/v.early '65 failed her MOT on rear brakes - nearly end of re-test limit & finally got her on my pro. pal's ramp. Rear offside wheel cylinder leaking. Will have to drive from Staffordshire Moorlands to get replacements & probably brake linings so I can get a ticket on her today, hopefully...
...What cars were also fitted with those items as well as Heralds. Am going to try my local motor factors but accept I'm going to have to drive to find some as 'same-day' delivery will probably be impossible.
...Many, many thanks...
Private Message
Scimher
December 21, 2016, 11:31am Report to Moderator

...I think the panic may be over - my local motor factors reckon that they can get new cylinders & shoes for 1pm! (They said something about the cylinders being the same as for a Morris 1000 - anyhow I quoted parts numbers at him & he didn't seem fazed...)
Private Message Reply: 1 - 9
Pete Lewis
December 21, 2016, 11:58am Report to Moderator

Tssc Herts and Beds A.O.
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.78
just make sure you  fit  the shoes on  right , the rear  shoe  has the square hole (for the handbrake lever ) is at the bottom on the trailing shoe   seen many with both holes at the top and then there's low brake efficiency problems .

good luck with the supply
pete

1964 1600 Vitesse 6 Cactus and Black , now  sold
now have T2000   Mk2 saloon in French Blue/grey trim  been  restored without running since 1997
now has power steering ,poly bushed and Alfa 156 seats
location  Luton
Private Message Reply: 2 - 9
Scimher
December 21, 2016, 12:21pm Report to Moderator

...Thanks, Pete...Will pass that onto my pal who is doing the job. He's a pro. & worked on at least 2 other Heralds so should be 'au fait' with that particular idiosyncrasy...
Private Message Reply: 3 - 9
herald948
December 21, 2016, 3:07pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.47
Quoted from Scimher
...I think the panic may be over - my local motor factors reckon that they can get new cylinders & shoes for 1pm! (They said something about the cylinders being the same as for a Morris 1000 - anyhow I quoted parts numbers at him & he didn't seem fazed...)

I'd have thought the Morris used Lockheed brakes, which are very different. You could use Spitfire rear brake shoes and cylinders. Any year would do, but there were several different bore sizes, so you might want to get a pair of wheel cylinders to be safe.

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph Herald engine with wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22)
http://triumph-herald.us
Site Private Message AIM Reply: 4 - 9
Scimher
December 23, 2016, 1:24pm Report to Moderator

...Dunno about that, Andy - but the good news is that pretty much on the stroke of 9am, this morning, I had the new MOT sheet thrust into my hot little paws! Plus, my professional pal...(also called Andy!) fitted the shoes & wheel cylinders that I got, (same day) from the aforementioned motor factors, for free as a Christmas present! I brought one of the cylinder boxes back to send some bits through the post: the box says 'PPF braking, Brake Hydraulics OE specification'......The label says 'WCY7728W wheel cylinder Bedford, Ford, Lotus, Morris, Reliant Motor Company, Rover, Talbot, Triumph OE113E2261 Made in Italy'

...I mentioned what you said, Pete, & Andy used the illustration in a GT6/Vitesse original workshop manual - I did notice on the nearside that the previous shoes both had the square hole at the top; they're now at opposite ends with one being at the bottom...

...Thanks for your responses, gentlemen - much appreciated...& a very Happy Christmas to all you Triumph people out there in cyberland...      
Private Message Reply: 5 - 9
Matt306
December 23, 2016, 8:02pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Staffordshire moorland to TD Fitchetts in Telford?

Worcestershire Area Organiser search Facebook for Club Triumph Worcester
Triumph 13/60 1970 Convertible  first car restoration, many botches much learnt... Now back MOTd and Taxed... 2016 RBRR COMPLETE
1974 Spitfire Mk IV in Yellow and Rust... for restoration
Triumph 1000cc 1991 Daytona got to go to pay for Yellow Peril
Private Message Reply: 6 - 9
heraldcoupe
December 24, 2016, 9:18pm Report to Moderator

Mid-life crisis pending
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Not important now, but I suspect the Morris application is the Marina, which was stuffed full of Triumph bits,

Cheers,
Bill.

Enthusiast and collector of early Heralds.

"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Site Private Message Reply: 7 - 9
Scimher
January 11, 2017, 5:09pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from Matt306
Staffordshire moorland to TD Fitchetts in Telford?

...Have done that trip once before, some years ago, to get a rear offside driveshaft, if I remember correctly - that may well have been the best option at the time to get the necessary, same day...
Private Message Reply: 8 - 9
Scimher
January 11, 2017, 5:11pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from heraldcoupe
Not important now, but I suspect the Morris application is the Marina, which was stuffed full of Triumph bits,

Cheers,
Bill.

...I didn't know that, Bill - I used to find the early Marina 1300 just as nippy as an 1800 & would go round corners a lot better...
Private Message Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Panic Stations!!...(Urgent - help!)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread