Stromberg piston not dropping freely :: Triumph Torque

RH Classic Insurance

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Stromberg piston not dropping freely
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Stromberg piston not dropping freely
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 20 Guests

Stromberg piston not dropping freely Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
daver clasper
December 17, 2016, 5:36pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Hi

Have done this a good few times in the past fairly easily, though after refitting the diaphragm (tabs correctly located) and screwing down the top cover (diagonally, a little at a time), I am really struggling to get the piston to drop freely (one screw/corner seem particularly rogue and the piston will stick after the slightest turn).

Any help would be great please.

Cheers, Dave  
Private Message
mazfg
December 17, 2016, 6:58pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.47
You need to re centrr your jet assembly.  Unscrew outer part until piston drops then keep letting it go up n down as you screw back the jet outer.

Current: Triumph Vitesse 6 convertible with O/D 1964

21 Years ago...and my first car! : Triumph Herald 1200 Saloon/ Tristan conversion 1966
Private Message Reply: 1 - 5
daver clasper
December 17, 2016, 7:17pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Hi thanks.

It's not the jet interfering with the needle at this point, as there not fitted yet. In the past I've got the pistons to drop freely, then fitted the jet arrangement, while centralizing it.

Cheers, Dave  
Private Message Reply: 2 - 5
scotty71
December 18, 2016, 8:59am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.08
hi dave,

have you adjusted anything around the main body of the carb? ie the nuts on the butterfly or choke?
to cause the cv to stick?
Private Message Reply: 3 - 5
oldbury863
December 18, 2016, 7:05pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.01
Are you refitting the old diaphragm or is it a new one? I was unable to get a new diaphragm to perform correctly on my carb, the piston refused to bottom out at all no matter what I did. Eventually a friend of mine gave me a "new old stock" one and the difference was startling. It was like comparing a marigold glove to a wellington boot! Works a treat now. There's a lot of truly rubbish parts out there.
Private Message Reply: 4 - 5
daver clasper
December 18, 2016, 8:25pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Hi. thanks for your replies.

It's the old diaphragm, though looking back I couldn't see a way of locating the inner circumference  centrally on top of piston (tab was located), so did it by eye. Maybe it's thrown the top cover bore that takes the piston to one side a bit so causing it to stick.

When loosely fitted the piston top tube thing moves freely in the top cover bore and piston moves freely in the carb body.

No jet assembly in place to cause problem and moving the piston up and it  snagging only when screwing down the cover evenly and small increments.

Will take another look.

Cheers, Dave  
Private Message Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Stromberg piston not dropping freely

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread