Stromberg 150CD butterfly/throttle flap screws :: Triumph Torque

Moordale Motors

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Stromberg 150CD butterfly/throttle flap screws
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Stromberg 150CD butterfly/throttle flap screws
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 16 Guests

Stromberg 150CD butterfly/throttle flap screws Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
daver clasper
December 3, 2016, 1:45pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Hi

Have bought new throttle spindles, though awaiting some new screws to secure the air flaps, as new spindles appear to have larger diameter thread holes for these.

Burlen (who I bought them off), advise thread lock and also peening the end of screw to the spindle to secure it.

If the new screws are like my originals (narrow slotted grub screw), then I was wondering if they would be hard to undo again in the future and also if the peen on the screw could muller the spindle thread when undoing.

Any tips on this would be great please.

Cheers, Dave
Private Message
RobPearce
December 3, 2016, 2:09pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.45
You obviously have to undo the peening before unscrewing them. A pair of pliers will straighten the ends out good enough to remove the screw without damage, if you're careful. These screws are single-use because once straightened you can't really re-peen them reliably.

Current fleet
1967 Vitesse 2L conv "Tessa"
1970 Spitfire Mk3 (project) "Toby"
1972 GT6 Mk3
Not enough time or space
Recently sold:
1972 2.5 PI estate "Harry" (gone to russell on here)
1973 Toledo 2-door "Spike" (gone to a club official)
Used to have:
1968 Vitesse 2L saloon
1980 Dolomite 1500
1977 Dolomite 1850
1980 Dolomite Sprint
1982 TR7 DHC Sprint
1975 2500S saloon
1971 Herald 13/60 Estate (with 1500 Spit engine)
1975 Stag
Private Message Reply: 1 - 10
daver clasper
December 3, 2016, 8:14pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Thanks Rob

The original screws were grub screws ,and fitted, the ends were a bit below the spindle face. don't know if they were peened in any way, but came out easily.

I assume your info is for the screw threads proud of spindle. What's the best way to peen, if my new ones are like this and also supporting the spindle/screw heads please?.

Cheers, Dave
Private Message Reply: 2 - 10
Pete Lewis
December 4, 2016, 1:25pm Report to Moderator

Tssc Herts and Beds A.O.
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.78
dave    not too much force is needed  if the screws have a split end a small punch and tap with small hammer is all you need  just enough to stop a loose screw coming out and going into the engine.  just a small deformation is all you need , youre not riveting the titanic.

some thread locks dont like petrol   need to read the label.

the plates are shaped and chamfered to make a full closure , make sure there is no daylight thro the throat and all are nicely centred and pivot and close nicely before you finally tighten the screws

Pete

1964 1600 Vitesse 6 Cactus and Black , now  sold
now have T2000   Mk2 saloon in French Blue/grey trim  been  restored without running since 1997
now has power steering ,poly bushed and Alfa 156 seats
location  Luton
Private Message Reply: 3 - 10
daver clasper
December 7, 2016, 5:22pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Thanks

The new screws have finally arrived. When fitted the ends are only slightly proud of spindle. They have a small round indentation in the ends, for a punch I guess (so once peened, not able to unspread the top of screw to undo without damage to spindle threads I guess?).

The heads of screws are a bit  proud of spindle when fitted, so I guess I need to support These to peen. I thought of some 1/4 plate, sized to accommodate both heads, held in a vice and some one to support the carb, or is there a more obvious way please.

Any help much needed please, as can't afford to knacker anything.

Cheers, Dave  

Private Message Reply: 4 - 10
Pete Lewis
December 8, 2016, 7:06pm Report to Moderator

Tssc Herts and Beds A.O.
Club Member
Ues anything in a vice you can steady the screw head onto and give the dimpled end of the thread a light tap to lightly bruise it  youre not riveting the screw , just enough deformation to stop a loose screw escaping into the engine,  amd if it did it would probably be pass through without any internal damage

a 5/16nut is a different piston wrecking option,  a small brass screw is lesser problem

you only need a light tap    youre not trying to repair the Titanic.

pete

now have T2000   Mk2 saloon in French Blue/grey trim  been  restored without running since 1997
location  Luton
Private Message Reply: 5 - 10
daver clasper
December 8, 2016, 8:18pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Cheers Pete

They were steel screws with a wider head and larger diameter thread than the skinny grubs from the original spindle set up, so a bit more chunky.

Just used the top of a socket in the front of carb and corner of kitchen table to support screw heads (a bit bouncy) and tapped some crosses with into the top face with a filed to suit  old flat blade. which I thought would have spread the tops a bit.

Hope this will do?.

Thanks Dave

Private Message Reply: 6 - 10
Pete Lewis
December 9, 2016, 8:15pm Report to Moderator

Tssc Herts and Beds A.O.
Club Member
That sounds a good plan

I can nearly hear it running

pete

location  Luton
Private Message Reply: 7 - 10
daver clasper
December 9, 2016, 10:23pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Cheers Pete

Running again and well (new jets and needles as well). I may have messed up ,as screwed the butterfly flap screws and peened them with the throttle stop plates and screws in place, so maybe the the butterfly's were not completely seated and a bit out of line. It is idling a bit high and I can't get it slower maybe due to this, and it ran on a bit when shut off.
Haven't finer tuned the mixture or played with the timing a bit yet.

As long as this doesn't wear the flaps or more importantly the carb body throats ? then will sort it in the future.

Cheers, Dave

Private Message Reply: 8 - 10
Pete Lewis
December 12, 2016, 4:22pm Report to Moderator

Tssc Herts and Beds A.O.
Club Member
I doubt you have the screws bludgened into riveting obscurity ,  if the discs are not central and dont seat nicely when closed undo the screws half a turn to release them and retighten with the idle screws backed off , throttles fully closed off re nip the two screws

all is not lost
pete

location  Luton
Private Message Reply: 9 - 10
daver clasper
December 14, 2016, 7:38pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Cheers Pete

I properly got a bit over cautious about things. I  originally thought as these fixings as low stressed related, then a good nip up of screws would be ok.

Then you read out peening and thread lock on these (maybe too much info ?).

Thanks again, Dave

Private Message Reply: 10 - 10
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Stromberg 150CD butterfly/throttle flap screws

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread