New Vitesse - A Few Random Questions :: Triumph Torque

Moordale Motors

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
New Vitesse - A Few Random Questions
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  New Vitesse - A Few Random Questions
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 17 Guests

New Vitesse - A Few Random Questions Print
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
Dave1360
October 28, 2016, 6:29pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Hi,
I've just bought a 1963 Vitesse 6 and have a few questions about it where things aren't quite as expected.

Firstly, the indicator flasher unit was stuffed into the hole under the dash which leads to the passenger door courtesy light switch.  I'm guessing it shouldn't just be rattling around in there?

The heater hoses had been bypassed and I can't work out which hoses are supposed to go where.  There's one at the top of the back end of the inlet manifold which has been blanked off with a bolt.  Does anyone have a picture of how these should all look?  It's also got the later radiator and overflow bottle which has been tied to the heater box.  Where is this bottle supposed to mount?

It seems very tail happy when accelerating out of corners.  It also sometimes sounds like it's running over gravel when turning sharply at 2nd gear speeds at junctions.  Sounds like it's under my feet and it's not the scuffing that you get at full lock.  At first I though something was rolling around on the floor. Could these two problems be connected - something like an anti roll bar mounting for instance?  I've not got under it yet but it would be handy to know what to look out for.

The temperature and fuel gauges read high.  It's got the fast moving gauges (moving magnet?) but the fuel sender is the later bayonet ring type. There's no regulator on the back of the speedo.  What's the best way to get these reading a bit more accurately?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Dave
Private Message
vitessesteve
October 28, 2016, 7:34pm Report to Moderator

Steve Weblin: Forum Moderator and Blogmaster
Club Officer
Club member
Posts Per Day: 0.58
On a Vitesse Mk2 hoses look like this:

PLEASE help us to maintain a friendly forum, use Report post button if you see anything you are unhappy with. Thanks.
Steve Weblin - AKA vitessesteve Forum Moderator and blogmaster

Cars - Valencia Blue 69 Vitesse Mk2 Saloon since 1991 and a TR7 Sprint.

blog http://vitessesteve.blogspot.com/ website http://www.vitessesteve.co.uk/

Newark UK based - studied class car restoration at Leeds City College

https://www.facebook.com/stephen.weblin
Site Private Message Reply: 1 - 18
glang
October 28, 2016, 9:14pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.62
The bottle goes on the drivers side of the engine at the front just behind the bottom hose. It sits in a holder and the pipe comes straight off the rad overflow and curves down into a hole in the bottle lid.
With the heater I hope it hasnt been bypassed because of some problem with it.....
Private Message Reply: 2 - 18
marktheherald
October 29, 2016, 7:51am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.48
Not a very clear shot, but this was my '63 Vitesse..

This post contains attachments; to download them you must login.

13/60 (1500 o/d) Estate

Eastbourne. E.Sussex.

FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC!
Private Message Reply: 3 - 18
Dave1360
October 29, 2016, 12:45pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Thanks all.  From Steve's picture, hose 20 is blocked off and hose 18 goes to a fitting on the side of the head at the moment so still not sure what's what.

The overflow bottle - does the bracket fit on the engine valance as I can see a couple of holes there in the position that glang described.  Just need to keep an eye on eBay for a bracket now.  I've had the matrix topped up with water overnight sat in the kitchen and there were no leaks.  I realise that's not exactly a pressure test, but it's a start.
Private Message Reply: 4 - 18
glang
October 29, 2016, 3:47pm Report to Moderator

yes for the bottle you want one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triu.....d:g:j8oAAOSwkNZUkuuf

Cant think why the heater would be disconnected if its ok except mabe the valve doesnt close and it got too warm in the car.......
Private Message Reply: 5 - 18
Pete Lewis
October 30, 2016, 12:49pm Report to Moderator

Tssc Herts and Beds A.O.
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.78
if its tail happy load the seats with 150 lbs on each and check the toe of the front and  rear wheels
with two planks against the tyre and tape measure across the car will give you a good clue  in  five  minutes .

you cant run non stabilised gauges with a bayonet fitting sender  you need a 6 hole unit,  205303    it will fit the bayonet tank ring if you trim it around the screw holes .
also temp sender is not the same has to be   121997    not gtr108 as used in stabilised,   both these problems will give high readings
http://www.canleyclassics.com/demoapp/?ptno=121997

some may not be available  then its convert to stabilised gauges and voltage stabiliser

the is a gadjet called fuel gauge wizard that may help  https://www.spiyda.com/magento/index.php/fuel-gauge-wizard-mk3.html
Pete

1964 1600 Vitesse 6 Cactus and Black , now  sold
now have T2000   Mk2 saloon in French Blue/grey trim  been  restored without running since 1997
now has power steering ,poly bushed and Alfa 156 seats
location  Luton
Private Message Reply: 6 - 18
Dave1360
October 30, 2016, 5:13pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Right, bottle holder now ordered.  The heater valve disintegrated when I took the heater out, so I'm hoping it was leaking from there which was why it was disconnected rather than the matrix.  Failing that there's a radiator reconditioning place down the road.

Thanks for the tip on tracking Pete.  I guess there's no easy way to tell if I have the right temp other than just buying a new one?

I can't see how a 6 hole sender can fit the tank as there's nothing for the bolts to bolt into.  Or do you mean that it would be held in place by the bayonet ring rather than bolts?

Can anyone say whether the heater hose should go to the back of the head or the top of the 3-way manifold fitting or even if it matters?
Private Message Reply: 7 - 18
glang
October 30, 2016, 5:26pm Report to Moderator

not sure what 'back of the head connection' youre talking about. It sounds like it could be important so any chance of posting a pic?
Private Message Reply: 8 - 18
Dave1360
October 30, 2016, 6:04pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
This is he best picture I could get in the dark.  The hose currently loops around from the centre connection on the manifold end fitting to a fitting in the head.  I've seen pictures of later 2L heads with that fitting plugged in the same way as on the top of the 1300 head when fitted to a Herald.  You can see the top fitting has been blocked off with a hose and bolt.

This post contains attachments; to download them you must login.

Private Message Reply: 9 - 18
glang
October 30, 2016, 6:24pm Report to Moderator

wow that is a bit different! Dont think thats at all standard and dont know why its been done. My 2L just has a plug there and as far I can see this mod could change the cooling characteristics of the head and/or manifold. If I wanted to bypass the heater I would just connect hoses 19 and 20 together so I dont understand why someone would go to so much more trouble doing what youve got!
Maybe another poster could explain it..........
Private Message Reply: 10 - 18
RobPearce
October 31, 2016, 8:29am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.45
I believe that head connection, which as glang says should be a plug on a Vitesse, may be used on some other applications (2000 saloon? TR?) where the manifold is different. So perhaps this engine came out of something else?

Current fleet
1967 Vitesse 2L conv "Tessa"
1970 Spitfire Mk3 (project) "Toby"
1972 GT6 Mk3
Not enough time or space
Recently sold:
1972 2.5 PI estate "Harry" (gone to russell on here)
1973 Toledo 2-door "Spike" (gone to a club official)
Used to have:
1968 Vitesse 2L saloon
1980 Dolomite 1500
1977 Dolomite 1850
1980 Dolomite Sprint
1982 TR7 DHC Sprint
1975 2500S saloon
1971 Herald 13/60 Estate (with 1500 Spit engine)
1975 Stag
Private Message Reply: 11 - 18
Pete Lewis
October 31, 2016, 9:13am Report to Moderator

Tssc Herts and Beds A.O.
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.78
firstly its a 1600 same head layout as a MK1 the heater hose  hot output  is connected to the tapping rear of the exhaust manifold. the return is via the tube under the maniold to the pump
is you car with solex down drafts or been converted to strombergs, as  with this has the heated  the manifold  Mk1 2 ltr type. and heater have the banjo 3 way and the return bypass tube under the manifold and the elbow hose to return manifold heating to the pump
so all very different ,

Pete

1964 1600 Vitesse 6 Cactus and Black , now  sold
now have T2000   Mk2 saloon in French Blue/grey trim  been  restored without running since 1997
now has power steering ,poly bushed and Alfa 156 seats
location  Luton
Private Message Reply: 12 - 18
RobPearce
October 31, 2016, 10:23am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Ah, yes. So the head tapping is right for a Mk1 (Solex) 1600. However, the photo shows a Stromberg (heated) manifold. Probably the easiest fix is to convert fully to the later Vitesse configuration - replace the head outlet with a plug and connect the heater as shown further up this thread.

Current fleet
1967 Vitesse 2L conv "Tessa"
1970 Spitfire Mk3 (project) "Toby"
1972 GT6 Mk3
Not enough time or space
Recently sold:
1972 2.5 PI estate "Harry" (gone to russell on here)
1973 Toledo 2-door "Spike" (gone to a club official)
Used to have:
1968 Vitesse 2L saloon
1980 Dolomite 1500
1977 Dolomite 1850
1980 Dolomite Sprint
1982 TR7 DHC Sprint
1975 2500S saloon
1971 Herald 13/60 Estate (with 1500 Spit engine)
1975 Stag
Private Message Reply: 13 - 18
Dave1360
October 31, 2016, 5:15pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Thanks, that makes sense now.  I've got a spare plug somewhere as its the same as the gearbox and sump plugs according to Canleys.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to sort it at the weekend.

I also temporarily plumbed in the heater matrix and ran it up to temperature with no leaks visible.  Must have just been the valve that caused them to disconnect it.
Private Message Reply: 14 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  New Vitesse - A Few Random Questions

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread