Taking the Diff out without removing drive shafts :: Triumph Torque

RH Classic Insurance

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Taking the Diff out without removing drive shafts
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Taking the Diff out without removing drive shafts
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 19 Guests

Taking the Diff out without removing drive shafts Print
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
mazfg
October 19, 2016, 7:51am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.47
I'm about to take my Diff out. The propshaft is out and I removed the nuts n bolts attaching the driveshafts to the Diff. Is there an easy way to get the diff out without having to remove the driveshafts/ hub complete? They're still up against the diff flanges, but have moved down since I lowered the car again.

Current: Triumph Vitesse 6 convertible with O/D 1964

21 Years ago...and my first car! : Triumph Herald 1200 Saloon/ Tristan conversion 1966
Private Message
glang
October 19, 2016, 7:58am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.62
on my mk1 Vit I do what youve done then remove a small cover plate in the boot to undo the leaf spring holding plate bolts. Lastly theres the actual diff holding bolts to take out (two at the front and a long cross bolt at the rear) and gently lower the unit out of place. It weighs a fair bit so I do this last bit on a trolley jack and obviously you need to have the car jacked up high to improve access.
Private Message Reply: 1 - 23
mazfg
October 19, 2016, 8:04am Report to Moderator

Thanks for that. My only concern is that the flanges on the driveshafts are still up against the flanges of the diff..but have slipped a bit..but can't see how to seperate them enough for the diff to drop down. I'll probably be removing the drivehsafts/ hub at some point anyway as I'd like to renew the UJ's. In the mean time though I rathe the car sat on 4 wheels rather than axle stands...

21 Years ago...and my first car! : Triumph Herald 1200 Saloon/ Tristan conversion 1966
Private Message Reply: 2 - 23
glang
October 19, 2016, 8:08am Report to Moderator

you should be able to just lever the flanges apart or once you undo the spring they separate automatically. However then the spring is free and the car shouldnt be lowered back onto its rear wheels as there wont be any suspension support.....
Private Message Reply: 3 - 23
mazfg
October 19, 2016, 8:19am Report to Moderator

The spring is still attached to the vertical link. The flanges are still togetehr but have slipped sideways slightly as I had to push the car forward.

The top ,mounting for the diff shows 6 studs. In the manual it says just removed the rear 3 studs? Do all six studs have to be removed though or just the nyloc nuts. I'm guessing it'll be easier if all studs(6) have been removed? rather than pushing studs through the spring plate?

Private Message Reply: 4 - 23
cliftyhanger
October 19, 2016, 8:33am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 2.24
You can lift the spring plate off. But you still have to remove the rear studs, and easier if they are all out. And yes, lever the shafts out of the way.
I have done a few diff swaps, but to be fair mainly late spitfire rear suspension in the last 10 years. So my memory may be shonky.

However, if you intend taking the shafts off, you might as well do it now. Don't forget to check the rear trunnions are all fee and move easily....

Clive Senior

Location-Brighton, East Sussex
Foxy is here, 1500od tax exempt Toledo. Now has the decent engine back in Slant 4 engine bolted in, sprint box and axle.Now has fresh MoT. Needs paint though.
Spitfire Zetec project is started work progressing slooooowly on the road!
Private Message Reply: 5 - 23
glang
October 19, 2016, 8:35am Report to Moderator

I suppose it might be done with only the 3 rear studs removed as the diff has to be lowered at the front and then slid forward to take it out however you'll definitely have to undo the other nuts to take off the plate so probably easiest to unscrew all of em. Once released the spring is free to move upwards as far as the boot floor so allowing movement of the vertical links - you might have to jiggle the wheels a bit but the flanges should separate easily.
As you say while its apart you might as well do everything including the vertical link suspension bushes if they havent already been done...
Private Message Reply: 6 - 23
mazfg
October 19, 2016, 9:15am Report to Moderator

Ah, yes I see that now looking at a picture of the spring plate. Only the back studs removed as the front ones will move out through the front of the spring.  Thinking it maybe best to just remove driveshafts complete and then diff and be done with it
Vertical link bushes were poly bushed about 4 years ago

Private Message Reply: 7 - 23
mazfg
October 19, 2016, 9:21am Report to Moderator

So, once the spring plate and diff is off and the vertical links removed from the spring eye bolt...can I withdraw the spring from the car?

Private Message Reply: 8 - 23
RobPearce
October 19, 2016, 9:29am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Yes, once you've removed the spring plate and disconnected both vertical links, there's nothing attaching the spring any more and you should be able to slide it out.

Current fleet
1967 Vitesse 2L conv "Tessa"
1970 Spitfire Mk3 (project) "Toby"
1972 GT6 Mk3
Not enough time or space
Recently sold:
1972 2.5 PI estate "Harry" (gone to russell on here)
1973 Toledo 2-door "Spike" (gone to a club official)
Used to have:
1968 Vitesse 2L saloon
1980 Dolomite 1500
1977 Dolomite 1850
1980 Dolomite Sprint
1982 TR7 DHC Sprint
1975 2500S saloon
1971 Herald 13/60 Estate (with 1500 Spit engine)
1975 Stag
Private Message Reply: 9 - 23
glang
October 19, 2016, 10:00am Report to Moderator

Quoted from mazfg
Ah, yes I see that now looking at a picture of the spring plate. Only the back studs removed as the front ones will move out through the front of the spring.  Thinking it maybe best to just remove driveshafts complete and then diff and be done with it
Vertical link bushes were poly bushed about 4 years ago

I didnt know there were poly bushes available for the trunion pivots - I'll look for them next time mine need doing! Looks like your job is expanding and it might have been easier just to drop the whole back axle out (disconnect brakes, trailing arms, dampers and diff)....
What are you doing on the diff?
Private Message Reply: 10 - 23
mazfg
October 19, 2016, 10:11am Report to Moderator

Quoted from glang

I didnt know there were poly bushes available for the trunion pivots - I'll look for them next time mine need doing! Looks like your job is expanding and it might have been easier just to drop the whole back axle out (disconnect brakes, trailing arms, dampers and diff)....
What are you doing on the diff?

http://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/parts.aspx?searchtext=514370P

Don;'t think you can drop the whole thing out...the chassis is in the way

The driveshaft seals need replacing and I'm going to get a drain plug fitted too and also given the once over.

Private Message Reply: 11 - 23
glang
October 19, 2016, 10:26am Report to Moderator

of course youre right! Well it was a while ago I looked under there
Not thinking about a 3.63 diff then?
Private Message Reply: 12 - 23
heraldcoupe
October 19, 2016, 11:20am Report to Moderator

Mid-life crisis pending
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Quoted from glang
I didnt know there were poly bushes available for the trunion pivots - I'll look for them next time mine need doing!

I have to wonder why anyone makes polyurethane trunnion bushes. Are they a rigid compound to match the original nylon bushes? Or are they a softer compound like the other bushes, which would offer less precise location of the axles?

I know there are quality problems with some of the available trunnion bushes, but even the good ones cost a fraction of the polyurethane type. One aspect of these cars which needs no redesign whatsoever,

Cheers,
Bill.

Enthusiast and collector of early Heralds.

"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Site Private Message Reply: 13 - 23
Nick Jones
October 19, 2016, 12:08pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 2.21
Agree Bill - quality issues aside.  The (superflex) polybushes I've seen are very hard - much like the original nylon ones but have stainless crush tubes and no water shields.  They are slightly thicker in the flange section that the OE ones to compensate for the absence of water shields.

Nick

Nick Jones
Somerset UK

Vitesse Mk 1.5 Convertible EFI, Survivor of RBRR 2008, HCR & 10CR 2009, HCR 2010, 10CR2011, HCR 2012, 10CR2013, 10CR2015, HCR 2016 & HCR 2017.
GT6 Mk3 Roto - project in progress
Spitfire MKIV son's project now on the road as a daily driver
2.5 PI Saloon now EFI (PIe?), Engine rebuilt and running sweet.  Diff howling...... Survivor of HCR 2013 & 2014 Gone to live in Swansea

http://www.tengaston.plus.com
Private Message Reply: 14 - 23
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Taking the Diff out without removing drive shafts

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread