Rallyspit and 24 Guests

Tub Spread Print
4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » All Recommend Thread
Pete Lewis
April 26, 2012, 9:01am Report to Moderator

Tssc Herts and Beds A.O.
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.78
jonny , ,stodder's  says that he has been successfull at pulling a diagonal from the base,  if you made your drawbaw to do the same it would not need the central gantry , just a thought to keep it simple ,   or you will end up with the fourth bridge and never use it again  Ha

Pete

1964 1600 Vitesse 6 Cactus and Black , now  sold
now have T2000   Mk2 saloon in French Blue/grey trim  been  restored without running since 1997
now has power steering ,poly bushed and Alfa 156 seats
location  Luton
Private Message Reply: 15 - 52
Jonny-Jimbo
April 26, 2012, 12:32pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.30
This is true Pete, and the A-frame would probably only need one crossbar not a full garden trellice. However, I would personally prefer to pull the tub directly towards each other, as I can see that pulling diagonally could twist the tub too, but pulling directly in should bring it back to where it should be.

I have no proof of either way working as I have never pulled a tub, but just a thought.

On a side note, I'd have thought it to be quite unusual to find an early 1962 Vitesse 6 that has not yet suffered tub-spread? I may be lucky there. My guess would be because it has never had the tub, floorpan or roof off.

1962 Vitesse 1600, rally-esque thing
1966 Herald 1200, crap-heap
1967 2000 / 2.5, current daily driver and Round Britain contender
1970 Herald 13/60, very little left now
1971 Herald 13/60 Estate, virtually nothing
1983 Acclaim L, Jewish Racing Beige and Brown. Why do I do it?

1988 BMW 320i, with interesting history! (Soon to be sold... probably)
Site Private Message Reply: 16 - 52
bxbodger
April 27, 2012, 1:05pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.21
I did my convertible diagonally with no ill effects. I didn't use threaded rod or rope, I used ratcheting straps, the sort used for strapping heavy stuff to roof bars/trailers, between the lower seatbelt mount and a big lump of wood stuffed behind the upper support for the side-trim/B post. I actually used the straps two at a time- one for initial tightening and when that one got so tight that I couldn't ratchet it any more I started on number two. I pulled the wings in a bit at a time either side until the door bottoms were actually inset slightly rather than sticking out, released the strain and they sprang out slightly and lined up pretty well- and that sorted the spread. Mine had the remains of a towbar fitted which is probably the initial cause of the spread, too much noseweight when the car was used for towing. Amongst the paperwork I got with the car was a set of fitting instructions for the towbar and the brackets were still there on the ends of the rear extensions as were the holes in the spare wheel well.  

'68 Mk1 Vitesse convertible boneshaker, and a somewhat more economical '89 998cc A series powered Metro.
Private Message Reply: 17 - 52
G.in_Lux
April 27, 2012, 1:07pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.31
Quoted from bxbodger
I did my convertible diagonally with no ill effects.

I like to hear things like that

Gerard
Thread killer
Private Message Windows Live Messenger Reply: 18 - 52
smithy
April 27, 2012, 4:23pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.18
Quoted from G.in_Lux

I like to hear things like that

You're perverted eh Gerard? Yep, me too.  

Do not touch the glass. Do not approach the glass. You pass him nothing but soft paper - no pencils or pens. No staples or paperclips in his paper. Use the sliding food carrier, no exceptions. If he attempts to pass you anything, do not accept it. Do you understand me?
Private Message Reply: 19 - 52
Stodders
April 29, 2012, 6:42pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Further to the comments on whether it should be necessary to pull in one side and not the other!!  The problems with mine I think stemmed from accident damage. I have owned the car from 1979 and I have always thought something  was a bit odd with the wing / bootlid / door allignment on the nearside.  When I started to restore it i found about an inch of filler hiding a destroyed rear wing.  I have managed to get hold of a genuing complete rear wing and now that the chassis has been rebuilt with all new outriggers and was jigged prety carefully it alligns pretty well.  The only issue was that the lines down one side were not perfestly true. I didnt have the problem of the doors sticking out at the bottom as although I have replaced the door skins, i have not yet welded them in place so am able to twist them slightly so get them perfestly true..

All of the work alligning it has been done after the repair work has been done to the body mounts and floor so it is pretty strong.  In my opinion I would have thought that you should always pull each side in as required by using the opposite seat belt mount otherwise it would always be just the weakest point that moves and you coud bet on it not pulling each side in eaqually.  As far as the strength of the seatbelt mounts to take this strain.  I don't see this as a problem as if they start to give then they were probably not strong enough anyway.  I did have to use considerable force to do this but the seatbelt mounts were not a problem
Private Message Reply: 20 - 52
Jonny-Jimbo
April 29, 2012, 8:36pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.30
Stodders; WHen I questioned the diagonal method I was not questioning the strength of the seat-belt mount itself, more the issue of pulling something diagonally down, rather than straight in, where it really needs to go. I know old cars are sometimes stronger than they look, but I have visions of the whole thing buckling down a bit.

On a side note, if one were to build a 'performance' version of a Herald / Vitesse, and were using four / five point belts and a roll cage, would there be any benefit to adding a tie-bar (of correct length) between the two normal shoulder strap mounting points?

It may look cool, and offer somewhere to hang helmets from, ut would it actully do any structural good, assuming the roll-cage is tied into the chassis. not just the floor?

1962 Vitesse 1600, rally-esque thing
1966 Herald 1200, crap-heap
1967 2000 / 2.5, current daily driver and Round Britain contender
1970 Herald 13/60, very little left now
1971 Herald 13/60 Estate, virtually nothing
1983 Acclaim L, Jewish Racing Beige and Brown. Why do I do it?

1988 BMW 320i, with interesting history! (Soon to be sold... probably)
Site Private Message Reply: 21 - 52
dave mc
August 1, 2014, 8:23am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.08
Sorry to resurrect this old favourite.

I'm hoping to trial fit my saloon body soon and want to rectify any tub spread now. There is mention in the threads above that the distance between the seal flanges is 46.5". Can anyone confirm that for definite please?

Mines currently at 47.5" so I need to pull it in an inch to get it right, assuming 46.5" is correct.

My tub has been standing free on its end for about 3 years so can well imagine that its opened up a bit.

Thanks.
Private Message Reply: 22 - 52
Matt306
May 23, 2017, 7:40pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.29
I'll try a resurrection so as to prove i used search!

I have a convertible with sticky out bottoms, i would appreciate is someone not afflicted by this could advise of the dimension across across the door seal flanges at the top of B post.

[CT Members ONLY]?

Worcestershire Area Organiser search Facebook for Club Triumph Worcester
Triumph 13/60 1970 Convertible  first car restoration, many botches much learnt... Now back MOTd and Taxed... 2016 RBRR COMPLETE
1974 Spitfire Mk IV in Yellow and Rust... for restoration
Triumph 1000cc 1991 Daytona got to go to pay for Yellow Peril
Private Message Reply: 23 - 52
Antonnick
May 24, 2017, 10:29am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.20
I would like to know this too.

I would also be interested to know why I could not find this thread before ist re-birth, despite using "Tub Spread" in the search box -

Gott hüte mich vorm Sturm und Wind, und Autos ,die aus England sind
Private Message Reply: 24 - 52
Matt306
May 24, 2017, 10:32am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Quoted from Antonnick
I would like to know this too.

I would also be interested to know why I could not find this thread before ist re-birth, despite using "Tub Spread" in the search box -

The search defaults to thirty days old and newer you need to change it to the other option

Worcestershire Area Organiser search Facebook for Club Triumph Worcester
Triumph 13/60 1970 Convertible  first car restoration, many botches much learnt... Now back MOTd and Taxed... 2016 RBRR COMPLETE
1974 Spitfire Mk IV in Yellow and Rust... for restoration
Triumph 1000cc 1991 Daytona got to go to pay for Yellow Peril
Private Message Reply: 25 - 52
Antonnick
May 24, 2017, 10:33am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.20
thankyou !  

Gott hüte mich vorm Sturm und Wind, und Autos ,die aus England sind
Private Message Reply: 26 - 52
scotty71
May 24, 2017, 11:41am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.08
another problem which could cause tub spread is the rubber spacer under the mounting points. I had replaced mine about 4 years ago, and they are showing signs of cracking. this could be why the doors catch on the B post.
Private Message Reply: 27 - 52
Pete Lewis
May 24, 2017, 4:42pm Report to Moderator

Tssc Herts and Beds A.O.
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Dont have my Vit6 now so nowt to measure,
the depth of the rear deck makes pulling easier on a saloon thanon  a coupe , you generally have to over pull a good bit to spring back , really the cross car dimension is sort of just pull it to suit, enought to get a flush door bottom.

theres a lot of banging and creaking when you pull ,   if you go too far guess  what
  The boot lid fouls the wings    

there doesnt seem any real clues why these rear ends go wide at the of of the b post wings
everything from door closing loads to tow bars  boot loads and urban myths

its a pain

care with ratchet straps ive seen some indent the wing waist

46.5 " is what springs to mind from the past ,  dont hold me to it

pete

1964 1600 Vitesse 6 Cactus and Black , now  sold
now have T2000   Mk2 saloon in French Blue/grey trim  been  restored without running since 1997
now has power steering ,poly bushed and Alfa 156 seats
location  Luton
Private Message Reply: 28 - 52
daver clasper
May 24, 2017, 5:18pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.28
  "there doesnt seem any real clues why these rear ends go wide at the of of the b post wings
everything from door closing loads to tow bars  boot loads and urban myths "

Sorry, haven't got the hang of these quotes.

Hi

I have a towbar (fitted to rear chassis cross member and boot out riggers) for occasional use of small trailer.

Is it heavier towing, or just the weight of towbar that may cause this do you know, please (mines not too bad, though don't want to get it).

Thanks, Dave

Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 29 - 52
4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » All Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  Tub Spread

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread