CV CONVERSION - WORTH IT ?? :: Triumph Torque

RH Classic Insurance

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
CV CONVERSION - WORTH IT ??
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  CV CONVERSION - WORTH IT ??
Users Browsing Forum

CV CONVERSION - WORTH IT ?? Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
heralddolly
January 17, 2011, 7:04pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.05
Hello folks.

I have a Mk2 Vitesse.

The CV Conversion Kit - is it worth it financially   and is it a worth while upgrade / improvement   ??

Opinions & experience welcome.

Thanks.

Richard.

Richard

1971 Triumph Vitesse Mk2 - CV

1967 Sunbeam Alpine Series 5 - CV

After all is said and done - there's usually a lot more said than done�� !!!
Private Message
Mark Hammond
January 17, 2011, 7:25pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.22
Yes and yes.  If I had a MKll Vitesse or any other Rotoflex equipped car such as GT6 I would do it.  No hesitation.

Mark

Herald 1200 Saloon, owned (in the family) from new, Royal Blue/Black trim
[color=purple]MX-5 Z-Sport (Tweaked to 200bhp)2007,
Suzuki Vitara S Auto, Cosmic Black, 2017.
Private Message Reply: 1 - 31
TR7th Heaven
January 17, 2011, 7:31pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.13
It's a such lot of money!
I have a 1970 Vitesse with Rotoflex and it isn't worth shelling out the cash. Rotoflex really isn't that bad. With the kind of mileage I'm doing (3500 miles a year) I can't justify the expense of switching. I expect there to be several years motoring between Rotoflex coupling changes!
TTC  

Bootiful Norfolk  
1972 Triumph Spitfire MKIV

Private Message Reply: 2 - 31
Mark Hammond
January 17, 2011, 7:42pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from TR7th Heaven
It's a such lot of money!
I have a 1970 Vitesse with Rotoflex and it isn't worth shelling out the cash. Rotoflex really isn't that bad. With the kind of mileage I'm doing (3500 miles a year) I can't justify the expense of switching. I expect there to be several years motoring between Rotoflex coupling changes!
TTC  

Not just the dreaded couplings though is it?  Got the UJs to consider!

M.

Private Message Reply: 3 - 31
Steve P
January 17, 2011, 7:51pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.21
I`ll be doing the CV conversion on my 2.5 Vitesse soon,its a MK 1 so a little more involved.
I don`t fancy losing a wheel complete with shaft and hub attached.
Steve

No. of Triumphs owned..2
No. of Triumphs working..2
Private Message Reply: 4 - 31
TR7th Heaven
January 17, 2011, 8:05pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.13
Mmmm, this is interesting.
Don't get me wrong. If they could be replaced for 50 a side then I'd be first in the queue but we're talking hundreds. Even allowing for changing the UJs there's still no comparison price wise (although I appreciate the amount of work involved).
However, what's interesting is Steve P's comment about losing a wheel. Has anyone heard of this happening? I understand it's possible but you'd have to let the couplings get into a terrible state for them to break up in such a devastating way. Wouldn't you?
TTC  

Bootiful Norfolk  
1972 Triumph Spitfire MKIV

Private Message Reply: 5 - 31
Hugh
January 17, 2011, 8:21pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from Mark Hammond

Not just the dreaded couplings though is it?  Got the UJs to consider!

M.

Well I am happy that I kept the rotoflex system and unless you are going for loads of extra power and racing it save your money and spend it on other goodies.  Strange how a lot of people who do not have rotoflex advise getting rid of it  

E-mail Reply: 6 - 31
Steve P
January 17, 2011, 8:37pm Report to Moderator
Club Member
I`m not so much worried about the couplings going but shearing the driveshaft,i have seen this happen a couple of times including the Spitfire ADU 1B at Prescott a couple of years ago.
Because on my MK1 Vitesse the shaft is part of the suspension effectively and i will be running a tuned 2.5 i dont trust it to take the extra torque.
Steve

No. of Triumphs owned..2
Private Message Reply: 7 - 31
Nick Jones
January 17, 2011, 8:42pm Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 2.21
Depends..... If you use the car alot and use it hard the CVs are fit and forget with no weedy UJ to wear out or roto to fall to bits.  The other big factor is whether you can get decent quality rotoflex couplings.  The real ones, made by Trelleborg now are pretty good and last well.  They are hard to find and can be very expensive.  The others..... well I got fed up with changing them every couple of years and that's why my car has CVs now.  Changing rotos is not a nice job.

Nick

Nick Jones
Somerset UK

Vitesse Mk 1.5 Convertible EFI, Survivor of RBRR 2008, HCR & 10CR 2009, HCR 2010, 10CR2011, HCR 2012, 10CR2013, 10CR2015, HCR 2016 & HCR 2017.
GT6 Mk3 Roto - project in progress
Spitfire MKIV son's project now on the road as a daily driver
2.5 PI Saloon now EFI (PIe?), Engine rebuilt and running sweet.  Diff howling...... Survivor of HCR 2013 & 2014 Gone to live in Swansea

http://www.tengaston.plus.com
Private Message Reply: 8 - 31
tiggrr1
January 17, 2011, 9:22pm Report to Moderator

Steve Thompson
Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.86
I was struggling to get proper Rotoflex coupling's and didn't want to fit the cheaper ones that as far as I know won't last too long

So I got the bits from Nick to convert to CV setup about 2 years ago, never touched the rear of the car since

I'd recommend them as a fit and forget upgrade. ( there is a bit on them in my blog, details below )

My infrequently updated Blog http://gtsixing.blogspot.com/

Useful GT6 Stuff -----  http://sdrv.ms/1bXwKRr

1971 Triumph GT6 MKIII  - Team Shorts  

2000 Subaru Impreza P1 335 bhp

2009 Alfa Mito 1.6 JTDM

Private Message Reply: 9 - 31
Mark Hammond
January 17, 2011, 9:38pm Report to Moderator

It's the fit and forget aspect that I like.  Nothing wrong with Rotoflex it's just that the CV conversion is superior.  Saying that, if you're looking for originality than stick with Rotoflex.
I have not so fond memories of a coupling letting go at speed.  Horrible to change too!

M.

Private Message Reply: 10 - 31
peter.crow
January 17, 2011, 9:40pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
I have the conversion on my Mk2 saloon.

Made the decision to have the CV conversion done as part of purchase arrangements. The independent engineer's report picked up some noises in the rear end which were isolated to rotoflex rings (degrading?) and also UJs. Went the whole hog by replacing the UJs on the prop shaft and also fitting the Canleys CV conversion kit complete. Everything is so tight, so responsive and so easy to drive.

As others have said, a fit and forget conversion.

-prc.
E-mail Reply: 11 - 31
CharlieB
January 17, 2011, 10:52pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.61
Quoted from Steve P
...shearing the driveshaft,i have seen this happen a couple of times including the Spitfire ADU 1B at Prescott a couple of years ago.

That's a swing axle car, not heard of rotoflex driveshafts shearing. (The OP is asking about changing roto to cv)

1975 Spit 1500 BRG
Ruislip
Private Message Reply: 12 - 31
mk2vitesses
January 18, 2011, 12:15am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.08
You don't have to shell out on a Canley conversion, buy the bits and do it yourself for less.
There is a PDF with all the engineering data on the web.
I have the earlier Saloon drive shaft conversion on my car (now owned for the last 16 years), this was after two sets of Rotoflex had been fitted and yes the rear geometry was correct!
The Saloon conversion works great, the ONLY drawback is it still uses the taper bearings in the vertical link.
The CV conversion gets rid of all the horrid bits once and for all!
These cars were built to a price, but you dont have to put up with poor engineering anymore!!

Car on the road having been rebuilt, with Quaife ATB 3.63 diff, Toyota W58 gearbox, Electronic speedo, Saloon drive shaft conversion, blueprinted 2.5L engine, Kingston sports car (TLD) head & cam, alloy flywheel, electronic engine management system, wasted spark ignition, HID headlights, MX5 seats, galvanized chassis, dual circuit brakes with Wilwood fronts, disc brakes to go on the rear!

Location Essex
Private Message Reply: 13 - 31
Steve P
January 18, 2011, 7:46am Report to Moderator
Club Member

Quoted from CharlieB
That's a swing axle car, not heard of rotoflex driveshafts shearing. (The OP is asking about changing roto to cv)

As i said mine is a MK 1 so it is a swing axle.
Steve

No. of Triumphs owned..2
Private Message Reply: 14 - 31
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Herald/Vitesse  ›  CV CONVERSION - WORTH IT ??

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread