Dolomite sprint wheels on a mkiv spitfire :: Triumph Torque

Moordale Motors

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Dolomite sprint wheels on a mkiv spitfire
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Triumph Torque    Cars    Spitfire/GT6  ›  Dolomite sprint wheels on a mkiv spitfire
Users Browsing Forum

Dolomite sprint wheels on a mkiv spitfire Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Spearson
July 8, 2009, 9:48pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.01
I have recently bought a set of dolomite sprint wheels to replace the standard wheels on my spitfire. Now i have bought them i have realised its not going to be a straightforward swap. When i bought them the previous owner said that he was going to fit the to a triumph herald and gave me all the bits he had bought to do it, including two 3/4" thick wheel spacers with 7/16" UNF studs for the front wheels and 1" thick wheel spacers with 7/16" UNF studs for the rear wheels. (Both sets were kits supplied by Grayston) http://www.graystonengineering.com/wheelnutmenu.htm [under competition wheel spacer kits]. My current concern using these spacer kits to fit the wheels is that the wheels are no longer going to be supported by the hubs. This is where i really need some advice. Do the wheels need to be supported by the hubs? if so how do i go about fitting these wheels?

Here is a photo of the wheel spacers i have: (this one is the 3/4" one)

I'm not a wheel expert and i am really confused on this one so any help will be much appriciated. Oh and if its any help the wheels aer 13" x 5.5j
Private Message
TimW
July 8, 2009, 10:00pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.16
Hi
Sprint alloys have a different offset to spitfire wheels.  The kit you have will work but will put extra loads through your drive train which may result in rapid failure of the weaker components like wheel bearings and trunions.  I would not fit such a kit or sprint alloys.  Plenty of correct offset alloys are avilable from a well known online auction site!

All the best

Tim

TIM WARD

1974 GT6 MKIII mallard blue, Type 9 gearbox, 2500 with HS6 SU'S, Rear disc brake conversion, Honda Civic Rad, Big brakes, 3.27:1 diff and lots, lots more!

NOW WITH EFI

Team 53 10CR 2011 finisher
Private Message Reply: 1 - 14
rossybrown
July 10, 2009, 7:24am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.08
Hi,

I've fitted Dolly Sprint wheels to my mk3 using spacers of 15mm front (to clear GT6 brakes and upright) and 10mm rear coupled with longer studs from Jigsaw Racing.

It works clearance wise but I'm not happy with the location for the reasons previously mentioned. I'm therefore having some spacers machined up from solid that will locate in the wheel bolt holes and / or hub - we're currently looking at the design as the hub centre on the Dolly wheels is just an as-cast surface.

if you're interested I could get you a price for doing some?

Let me know,

Ross

'68 Spitfire Mk3 - first MoT in 20 years last summer but needs the innevitable fettling.......

Private Message Reply: 2 - 14
JohnD
July 10, 2009, 8:06am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.48
I can't swear on a stack of Spitfires, but on other 'small chassis' Triumphs there is no projecting hub to engage with, locate and support the wheel.  Vitesses, for one.
I did exactly as you suggest, Spearson, on my Old Blue Vitesse (pic), with no problems.    Subsequently, I moved on to wider steels and to Revolutions that require a similar spacer, and although racing does lead to axle failures, it's not the wheels that fall off, just the whole hub!

I would have no hesitation is using the kit you have for road use, but use steel wheel nuts, not the O/e alloy ones, which are too soft.  Chris Witor can supply steels.

John

This post contains attachments; to download them you must login.

Private Message Reply: 3 - 14
Spearson
July 10, 2009, 8:56pm Report to Moderator

Yeah, when i picked the wheels up they came with oe dolly sprint wheel nuts (aluminium) and i don't like the idea of having aluminium wheel nuts! I'll look into getting a set of steel wheel nuts as soon as possible thank you for all your help so far ill post up a picture of the car with the new wheels on as soon as i have finished fitting them.
Private Message Reply: 4 - 14
DaveKent
July 11, 2009, 10:58am Report to Moderator

Club Member
Posts Per Day: 0.51
well the reason the dolly nuts are the shape they are is to locate the rim centrally on the hub, without the need for a spigot. you'll find many older type alloy wheels use this method, similarly steel rims use domed or tapered nuts to centralise the wheel. modern wheels tend to ue a spigot ring to locate the rim on the hub, partly because bolts are used instead of studs and nuts

Club Triumph Member for 26 years, and proud of it!!!
RBRR Entrant and Finisher!1986,1988,1990,1992,1994,1996,1998,2000,2002,2004,2006,2008,2010,2012
HCR Entrant and Finisher!
10CR
BOK 7K 1972 spitfire mkiv nice !!

http://www.dakstechnicaltransport.co.uk
Private Message Reply: 5 - 14
Spearson
July 11, 2009, 6:39pm Report to Moderator

I have encountered a problem with fitting these wheels to my car. Namely the rear hubs. I have tried and tried to remove the hubs from the driveshaft to no avail. I have read in several places that you need the special triumph hub pulling tool but i'm not willing to fork out 50-60 for one. I already have a sturdy hub puller which i have tried to use and it will not budge, i even tried using a slide hammer on the hub puller to free the hub, but nothing. If i can't remove them i'm thinking about replacing the entire halfshafts with reconditioned ones from canley classics. Unless anyone can suggest anything to help remove the hubs?
Private Message Reply: 6 - 14
TimW
July 11, 2009, 6:51pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from Spearson
I have encountered a problem with fitting these wheels to my car. Namely the rear hubs. I have tried and tried to remove the hubs from the driveshaft to no avail. I have read in several places that you need the special triumph hub pulling tool but i'm not willing to fork out 50-60 for one. I already have a sturdy hub puller which i have tried to use and it will not budge, i even tried using a slide hammer on the hub puller to free the hub, but nothing. If i can't remove them i'm thinking about replacing the entire halfshafts with reconditioned ones from canley classics. Unless anyone can suggest anything to help remove the hubs?

I think the only way is to use the Triumph puller.  I scraped 2 hubs trying to remove them with a normal puller. Buy the tool and have it done in 10min. Maybe someone lives near you who has one.  Where are you?

Regards
Tim

TIM WARD

1974 GT6 MKIII mallard blue, Type 9 gearbox, 2500 with HS6 SU'S, Rear disc brake conversion, Honda Civic Rad, Big brakes, 3.27:1 diff and lots, lots more!

NOW WITH EFI

Private Message Reply: 7 - 14
Spearson
July 11, 2009, 9:14pm Report to Moderator

I live near stroud, gloucestershire, i have asked around a couple of people i know who have triumphs but no one seems to have one
Private Message Reply: 8 - 14
Hugh
July 11, 2009, 9:19pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from Spearson
I live near stroud, gloucestershire, i have asked around a couple of people i know who have triumphs but no one seems to have one

Do you know anyone with a fly press that could press the hub out.
E-mail Reply: 9 - 14
Tom2000
July 12, 2009, 8:22am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.67
I have dolly sprint alloys on my 1500, 5.5J and have no issues. had to file down the edges of some of the wishbones but other than that its fine. I'll see if I can find more details on how I did it.
Private Message Reply: 10 - 14
beefertoo
July 12, 2009, 8:45am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.22
Quoted from Spearson

what problem with the hubs? i was going to put sprint wheels on mine and the only prob i found was the center being a bit tight,could you not  clean the center hole of the wheel out with a flap wheel in aa drill if so.
craig

craig��in sunny blackpool

1969 1360 estate....in a zillion bits,only a year late so far

1970 2.5pi, well it would be if it had injection still

2004 focus estate...... waaaaay too new for me
Private Message Reply: 11 - 14
TimW
July 12, 2009, 5:41pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from Spearson

Hi
I live in Kidderminster.  I think its about 40mins from stroud.  You are welcome to come and use mine!  

All the best

Tim

TIM WARD

NOW WITH EFI

Private Message Reply: 12 - 14
smithy
July 12, 2009, 5:48pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 1.63
Quoted from Spearson

I live in Tetbury and I haven't got one either, sorry.  
If you want large hammers though, I have lots of those, and I have a will to win.  

Do not touch the glass. Do not approach the glass. You pass him nothing but soft paper - no pencils or pens. No staples or paperclips in his paper. Use the sliding food carrier, no exceptions. If he attempts to pass you anything, do not accept it. Do you understand me?
Private Message Reply: 13 - 14
CharlieB
July 13, 2009, 8:28am Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.89
Are you trying to remove the hubs to fit the new studs? Can you not drill a hole in the brake back plate & fit them that way?

1975 Spit 1500 BRG
South Bucks
Private Message Reply: 14 - 14
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Triumph Torque    Cars    Spitfire/GT6  ›  Dolomite sprint wheels on a mkiv spitfire

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread