Club Triumph Logo

75 Years of

TRIUMPH CARS

30 - 31st May 1998
Heritage Motoring Centre, Gaydon


Historic Triumphs Display

This display represents some of the Triumph production between the years of 1923 to 1984 when the Acclaim model was discontinued. Originally envisaged as a display of race/rally cars it has now been widened to give greater representation of pre-war and immediate post-war models. This part of the display being the work of Jon Quiney of the Triumph Pre 1940 Owners Club. The following table gives a listing of the models promised to be here today together with details of any special significance or features they may have.

Thanks are due to Neil Revington, Bill Piggott, Graham Robson, Lesley Philips & Bill Price for their help in locating these vehicles. Also a special thank you to the owners for bringing their cars along. Many of them are in attendance and will be only too happy to answer any questions visitors may have about their cars. Finally I request that visitors are by all means welcome to look and enjoy the assembled vehicles but please refrain from touching.

Bill Bolton

Model

Registration No.

Details

10/20

XI 3434

Engine: Triumph 4 cyl. 1393cc side valve 10 hp Year: 1923.

This little two seater was the first Triumph production model and sold for £430. A rather high price which relied on their reputation for quality and workmanship. Lucas lighting was fitted, but it still had to acquire front brakes. This is the oldest surviving Triumph car being representative of the first year of car production. Owner Jim Kinghan.

Triumph 10/20

Super Seven Saloon

122 JLB

Engine: Triumph 4 cyl. 832cc 7.9 hp Year: 1928

Introduced in 1927, this is the fifth oldest known Super Seven. All earlier sevens are open top models so this is the oldest surviving saloon. The body was built by coachbuilders, Holbrook of Coventry. Compared to similar cars of the period the Super 7 was larger, had four wheel hydraulic brakes and a three bearing crankshaft. Owner: Martin Perdeaux.

Super Seven - photo by Derek Graham

Fifteen Saloon

ER 8818

Engine: Triumph 4 cyl. 2169cc Year: 1929

The first owner, a Dr Watson of Cambridge ran the car from 1928 until 1934, when it was laid up. The present owner bought itafter Dr Watson’s death in August 1959, with 4,500 miles on the speedometer. It has since covered about 30,000 miles & the interior is entirely original. This was the first British car to be fitted with four wheel hydraulic brakes (Lockheed Wagner) imported with the axles from the USA. This model was the first Triumph marque to be exported seriously, mainly to Australia & New Zealand. Owner: Mike Cooke

Super Seven - photo by Derek Graham

Super Seven Two Seater De Luxe

WM 3544

Engine: Triumph 4 cyl. 832cc 7.9 hp Year: 1929

A very rare example of an early Super Seven. It was restored by Richard Hill the present owner in the early nineteen seventies. It has competed in both the 1978 & 1998 FIVA World Rallies, winning awards in both events. The car is totally original even to the correct factory colour. Triumph had very kindly chalked the colours on the inner door panel when they built the car in 1929! It is still visible!

Super Seven

Super Seven Tourer

VC 2318

Engine: Triumph 4 cyl. 832cc 7.9 hp Year: 1929

Known as "Sixpence", this car was first prize in a raffle when new and won with a sixpenny ticket. The winners kept the car in the same family until well into the eighties. There are about 120 Super Sevens known to have survived, half of which are abroad, mainly in Australia and New Zealand. Owner: Bill Dredge

Super Seven Tourer - photo by Derek Graham

Super Seven Special Sports

UW 8442

Engine: Triumph 4 cyl. 747cc 7.5hp Year: 1929

This car was first registered at Triumph’s Berkley Square showrooms in London on 5th December 1929. It was unusual in that it was originally fitted with a Cossett Supercharger for eventing/competitions but this has now been removed. The model was also supplied without doors.

It is believed that this car could be the one pictured in the Book, "Triumph Cars The Complete Story", showing Donald Healey at rest during the 1929 Brighton Rally. The article indicates that a passenger door had been provided for the use of the co-driver when the hood was in place, allowing easy access for maintaining the car during the rally. Owner: Morris Phelan

Super Seven Coachbuilt Saloon

GJ1 635

Engine: Triumph 4 cyl. 832cc 7.9hp Year: 1930

This is possibly the only remaining complete and running example of this model. It was left to the present owner by a colleague at work but was unfortunately in a derelict state, having been left partially stripped in a front garden for more than 20 years. It was restored between 1994 and 1996 as a home restoration to its present immaculate condition. Owner: Allan Maskell

Super Seven Tourer

GY 1796

Engine: Triumph 4 cyl. 832cc 7.9hp Year: 1932

This car has been in the same family since 1932 and has undergone almost complete restoration. It was purchased for £100 which compares with the list price of £140 when new. The Super 7 was renamed the Super 8 for 1933-34 with a roomier body and more additional features. Owner: John Scire.

Vale Special

JJ 1319

Engine: Coventry Climax 4 cyl 1232cc 10.8hp Year: 1932

The Vale Special was made from 1932 to 1936 by a small company based in Maida Vale, London using the Triumph chassis and engine with their own lightweight sporting body. It is believed some 50 or so of these cars were made of which this is the fifth produced and registered on Xmas Eve, 1932. This car originally had an 932cc Triumph engine but now has the later available Coventry Climax engine. Owner: David Millar

Vale Special - photo by Derek Graham

Super Nine Saloon

KV 3479

Engine: Coventry Climax 4 cyl 1018cc 8.9hp Year: 1932

Placed in a barn at the introduction of the MOT test it was found 28 years later by the present owner. Infested by mice it required a complete overhaul but still has the original door trim & seats. This model saw the introduction of the first Coventry Climax engines which continued until Triumph produced their own ohv engine in 1937. Owner: Terry Payne

Super Nine Van

KV 6907

Engine: Coventry Climax 4 cyl. 1087cc 9.5hp Year: 1933

Built by the Triumph Factory in mid-1933, this 8 CWT van was reviewed in "Commercial Motor" in August 1933. However, it was not registered until January 1934 along with the company’s Monte Carlo team cars. It passed through Nortons Motors of Cardiff and by May 1934 was in use by a travelling hardware salesman in Wales. Discovered in a barn in 1970 the van passed through 3 enthusiasts hands before being registered in 1996 by the present owner.

Owner: Chris Currell

Super Nine Van - photo by Derek Graham

Gloria Speed Model 4 seater

ACE 537

Engine: Coventry Climax 4 cyl 1087cc 9.5hp Year: 1934

Introduced in 1933 having been developed by Donald Healey, the Gloria employed a conventional chassis, underslung at the rear and equipped with all round hydraulic brakes. The four cylinder engine was built by Triumph to Coventry Climax designs. In tuned guise fitted with twin carburettors, the 1987cc four produced 46bhp, and thus equipped, the Gloria Speed Model Tourer was good for a courageous 75mph. This delightfully original car was purchased in 1997 from its second owner who had spent a considerable time carrying out an extensive overhaul whilst retaining a certain amount of patina. There are twelve known survivors of this model.

Owner: Paul Caton.

Gloria Speed Model 4 seater - photo by Derek Graham

Gloria Monte Carlo Tourer

BGU 499

Engine: Coventry Climax 4 cyl 1232cc 10.8hp Year: 1934

The Monte Carlo model was designed by Donald Healey and was the first evidence of his work after joining Triumph in September 1933. Obviously aimed at the sporting buyer for use in rallies and competitions. Purchased by the present owner in 1969 for £30 as a box of bits it has been extensively restored to its present position. Owner: Ken House

Gloria Monte Carlo Tourer - photo by Derek Graham

Gloria Coupe

CPE 454

Engine: Coventry Climax 4 cyl 1232cc 10.8hp Year: 1935

Built on the "Southern Cross" sports chassis, this is a very rare example of the four cylinder two door coupe model. This particular car was rebuilt during 1983-87 and has been in use ever since.

Owner: Roger Barnes

Gloria Southern Cross 2-seater

BLX 454

Engine: Coventry Climax 4 cyl 1232cc 10.8hp Year: 1935

This particular car was taken to the USA by Rover Triumph in 1973 to celebrate Triumph’s 50 years. It was shown in New Work and also at the Henry Ford Museum in Detroit. In the New York Autoshow it was much photographed along with Donald Healey. The Southern Cross model was popular for rallying and competition work in the thirties and did especially well in the 1934/5 Monte Carlo and Alpine Rallies. Owner: Clive Mellor

Gloria 4 Light Saloon

BUF 48

Engine: Coventry Climax 4 cyl 1232cc 10.8hp Year: 1935

This car is in original condition and had one owner from new until 1974. The present owner, David Cartmel bought it from the BL museum at Syon Park in 1988.

Gloria 4 Light Saloon - photo by Derek Graham

Gloria Six Saloon

BLX 530

Engine: Coventry Climax 6 cyl. 1991cc 15.7hp Year: 1935

The first 6 cylinder Gloria saloon was offered in 1934 with an engine capacity of 1.5 litres. This was quickly replaced by a 2 litre version of which this is a fine example. There are six known survivors of this model and this one has had its present owner for 19 years. Owner: Tony Brasher

Gloria Six Vitesse Tourer

AKV 401

Engine: Coventry Climax 6 cyl. 1991cc 15.7hp Year: 1935

This is one of only 2 surviving 2 litre Gloria Vitesse Tourers, the other being a 1936 model. It was rescued from a house in Nottingham in 1991. The chassis and engine were buried under rubbish in the garage and the body was in a bramble patch in the garden. It was restored over the following 5 years. The word Vitesse means it is the optional higher mechanical specification model giving increased performance. Owner: Ian Harper

Gloria 4 Light Saloon - photo by Derek Graham

Gloria Six Monte Carlo Tourer

ATF 164

Engine: Coventry Climax 6 cyl. 1991cc 15.7hp Year: 1935

One of the only two known survivors worldwide of the six cylinder Monte Carlo. Restored to concours condition in 1987, it has since participated in many continental sports events. Similar to the tourer model of the same period but much more sporting looking with twin spare wheels, radiator stoneguard etc. Owner: George Zaidmann
Photo: George Zaidmann

6 Cylinder Monte Carlo tourer

Gloria 6 Light Saloon

CVM 371

Engine: Coventry Climax 4 cyl 1232cc 10.8hp Year: 1935

This car had one owner up until 1995 and was collected from Coventry by him. The Gloria light 6 is good to drive, can keep up with modern traffic and provided defensive driving technique is used is not an embarrassment when expected to stop. The body is well proportioned and unlike the standard 10.8 hp saloon provides superb accommodation for rear passengers. Owner: Kim Vernon

Gloria 6 Light Saloon - photo by Derek Graham

Vitesse 2 litre 4 light saloon

DGK 162

Engine: Triumph 6 cyl 1991cc Year: 1936

It has a synchromesh 4 speed gearbox and is capable of over 80 mph at 4,500.00 rpm. This straight size OVH pushrod engine is fitted with twin SU carburettors as standard and petrol consumption is 22 mpg. Several continental trips have been made recently without major problems. Owner: Frank Jones

Vitesse 14/60 4 light Saloon

ERE 789

Engine: Triumph ohv 4 cyl. 1767cc Year: 1937

This car was one of a batch of cars delivered to Rubery Owen and Co Ltd in December 1936 in lieu of payment by the Triumph Motor Company Ltd. It was bought from Rubery Owens in January 1937 by my grandfather and I acquired the car in 1965 when it was due to be sold as scrap. I spent the next 2 years restoring it. The front of the car was damaged in a workshop fire in 1971 and now unfortunately sports the wrong headlamps. The interior has been since re-trimmed but apart from minor repairs no other work has been carried out. Owner: John Haycock

Dolomite 14/60 Saloon

CHP 298

Engine: Triumph ohv 4 cyl. 1767cc Year: 1937

First registered on 4th March 1937, this car had one owner until it was exported to the USA in 1965. It returned to the UK and its present owner in 1990. The Dolomite model featured the startling "fencemask" or "waterfall" radiator grille which met with a very mixed reception in its day. Owner: Colin Jenkins

Vitesse 2 litre 4 light Saloon

EXA 864

Engine: Triumph ohv 6 cyl .1991cc Year: 1938

A substantially original vehicle in its original "ivory" colour with blue interior, subject to only normal maintenance and repair with a respray and partial rechroming in 1979/80. EXA864 is not a restored or rebuilt vehicle. It was chauffeur driven until 1967, laid up until 1979, and used regularly since. It is still capable of cruising at 60mph in relaxed comfort. Owner: Charles Betts

Vitesse 2 litre  4 Light Saloon - photo by Derek Graham

Vitesse 2 litre with flow-free saloon body

CKU 938

Engine: Triumph 6 cyl 1991cc Year: 1938

The 1935 flow-free saloon body was only available on the six cylinder chassis, all other Triumph body styles had the option of being supplied in four cylinder form (i.e., the shorter chassis). The extra length of the 2 litre was needed to accommodate the side mounted spare wheel. This particular flow-free body is the only known survivor and was initially mounted on a 4½ litre Bentley and remained there until 1994 when it was removed and fitted to this very low mileage Vitesse chassis. Any aerodynamic shape by Walter Belgrove (Triumph’s in-house designer) which was very advanced and stylish for its time. Name: Rob Green

Free-Flow Vitesse

Dolomite 14/60 Roadster Coupe

HEV 520

Engine: Triumph 4 cyl. 1767 cc Year: 1938

Our car was first registered in February 1939 and we bought it in 1961 becoming only its third owners. It was laid up during the war and for some time after. When we first had the car it was used as an everyday vehicle, taking into its stride trips to Liverpool and Wales from the South of England. In the winter of 1963, we even got to use the original snow-chains. In the early nineties she was restored to the beautiful car she is today and in the first year after restoration she won the Club’s Founder’s Plate at the 1993 National Triumph Day. Owners: Don and Viv Pearce

Dolomite 14/60 Roadster Coupe - photo by Derek Graham

Dolomite 2 litre Roadster Coupe

CCY 665

Engine: Triumph 6 cyl 1991cc Year: 1938

One of only eight known survivors of the rare six cylinder version. It was saved from the breakers in the early 1970’s by Mr Neal (MD of Raydot) and restored. After a brief appearance in 1978 it left the country after Mr Neal’s death and was bought back to England from Switzerland by Mr Kim (MD of Panther Cars). The present owner bought the car in the late eighties and carried out an extensive mechanical restoration and has used the car regularly for many years including several town in France. Owner: Alan Davis

TR 2

OKV 777

Although not officially a works car there was works assistance for the entry in the 1954 Le Mans 24 hour race. Driven by E. Wadsworth & B. Dickson the car completed the race finishing 15th overall. This car is owned by Geoff Stamper.

TR 2

PDU 20

This car formed part of a three car team for Triumphs first post war venture into international rallying, the 1954 Alpine Rally. The outcome being a most impressive result:

· Team prize for the best three cars in Rally.

· Team prize for the best foreign team cars.

· Coupe des Alpes (PDU 20).

· 2nd, 3rd & 4th in their class.

· Pernod Challenge cup.

This car was the highest placed TR driven by Maurice Gatsonides and Rob Slotemaker finishing 6th out of 84 starters. Currently owned by David Boreham.

TR2 - photo by Derek Graham

TR 3

SKV 656

Registered in September 1956 and delivered direct to the Triumph stand at the Earls Court Motorshow. Thereafter used as the road test car for Motor, Motor Sport & Autocar. Subsequently prepared by the factory for a private entry in the 1958 Monte Carlo Rally. Driven by Peter Bolton it achieved a creditable 3rd in the 1300 – 2000 cc GT class and 18th overall. Owned by Nick Jones.

TR 3A

WVC 247

Campaigned by the works for the 1959/60 rally season in numerous international rallies regularly finishing high in class placings driven by such notable names as: Maurice Gatsonides, Rob Slotemaker & Keith Ballisat. Owned by Geoff Stamper.

TR3 - photo by Derek Graham

TR 4

3 VC

One of four powder blue TR 4s built in 1962 for works entries in international rallies. Successes include 4th in class on the 1962 Tulip Rally driven by John Sprinzel & Graham Robson. John Sprinzel & Willy Cave finished the RAC Rally in November 1962 Winning the GT Team prize. On completion of its works life the car was sold to a student in the USA who kept the car until its return to the UK in 1996. The current owner is Neil Revington and the car retains all its aluminium panels.

3 VC

TR 4

4 VC

Similarly to 3VC this car was generally used as part of a works team entry. Successes include 3rd in class on the 1962 Tulip Rally driven by Mike Sutcliffe & Roy Fidler and a 1st in class, 4th overall, Coupe des Alpes for Sutcliffe/Fidler in the 1962 Alpine. This car was also driven by Brian Culcheth and the late Roger Clark in the 1963 Spa – Sofia – Liege Rally. The present owner is Ian Cornish.

Brabham Herald

188 XPF

Offered in the early 1960s by Jack Brabham Motors Ltd. This car was registered in 1962 and changes to the Herald specification of the period include: Coventry Climax 1218cc FEW engine, modified suspension with Koni shock absorbers, Kenlow fan and Clayton Dewandre brake servo. This is the only known surviving example of a Brabham conversion and has been owned by Arthur Stroud since 1964.

Spitfire 4

ADU 5B

Built in 1964 as part of a team of ‘Works’ rally Spitfires in time for the Alpine Rally in June of that year and driven by Jean-Jacques Thuner & John Gretener. A total of nine different international events were entered before the end of 1965 when the was disbanded.

Bill Bradley the current owner competed in sister vehicles to this car when new.

2.5PI Mk 1

FHP 993C

Originally built by the factory Competition Department in ‘2000’ form for the 1966 Monte Carlo Rally driven by Roy Fidler. It was sold to Roy shortly afterwards and he subsequently won the 1966 RAC Rally Championship using the car as a private entry. During this period the car continued to receive attention from the Triumph works.

The car was returned to the factory in 1967 where it was converted to become the first 2.5PI rally car. Entered by Roy Fidler & Alan Taylor in the RAC rally when due to an outbreak of Foot & Mouth Disease the event was cancelled and the car sold off. Currently owned by Bill Bradley who is also a former works competition driver.

2000 Mk 1

PCR 27G

This vehicle in 2000 form successfully completed the London Sydney Rally of 1968 in the hands of a father & son team from Hampshire. The present owner Barry Gardner purchased the car in 1969 and it has been in and out of his possession since. Now extensively restored & modified in preparation for the 1993 re-run of the London Sydney Rally which it again completed, this time in the hands of a father & daughter team from Hampshire – Barry Gardner & Jill Diamond.

2000 Mk 1

VLL 645G

"Humphrey" has been racing since the early eighties, in various championships run by the Classic Saloon Car Club of Great Britain.

Originally prepared and used by Ian Sutherland, the car has been raced very successfully since 1990 by the present owners, Andy Roberts and Roddy Pratt, who prepare it themselves.

They have secured more than 60 class wins in the last seven seasons, hold or have held the class lap records at all of the club racing circuits in the UK, and have won the Team Prize in the CSCC Historic Touring Car Championship four times. The 2000cc engine produces about 140 bhp at the flywheel, which compares very well with the factory figure of 90 bhp, especially when you consider that many original specification parts, including the carburettors, must be retained to comply with the championship regulations.

Stag Fastback

PAE 755

Chassis no. X815. Some doubt exists as to the date of build but it is likely to have been at some time within the 1969 – 70 period and it was retained by the factory until 1971 when it was sold to Bernard Jackman MD of Rover – Triumph. Owned since 1985 by Mr Alan Hart who has carried out a major restoration.

Stag Estate

XXC 200K

This ‘2000’ style estate was fitted with a Stag V8 engine by Triumph Motors who first registered the vehicle before selling to Rover. The detailed history of the car has still to be researched and is currently owned by David Pearson.

2.5PI Mk2

KNW 798

Build by BL Abingdon for the 1972 East African Safari Rally and sponsored by Nairobi Triumph dealers Benbros. Prepared for the group 1 category achieving 1st in class and 13th overall. Basically the car has a similar specification as the more famous World Cup Rally cars including a strengthened bodyshell. The exception being the World Cup cars were fitted with larger 15" wheels. Patrick Walker, the present owner has also used this car in six national UK rallies.

Racing Stag

 

Using a 1971 bodyshell this vehicle was built in 1978 to Modsport specification and competed in the Modsport championship through to 1984 when the series was abandoned. Since then it has been used only occasionally most notably in 1991 achieving 1st in class and 3rd overall in the Churchill Special Construction GT Championship.

All external panels are fibreglass. The suspension is rose jointed fully adjustable. The engine is mainly standard as it was built to prove the inherent reliability of the Triumph V8. The changes are 4 x 40 DCOE Weber carburettors, forged pistons, camshaft profile from the formula 3 Triumph Sprint engine & larger inlet & exhaust valves. Built and owned by Tony Hart of Hart Racing Services.

Stag 4 x 4

HNX 540K

A rare four wheel drive conversion to the Stag model which was offered by Major Tony Rolt’s Company FF Developments of Coventry. The conversion fitted a Ferguson Formula four wheel drive unit with anti lock brakes to a standard Stag. Only two cars were converted both of which still exist and this vehicle was first registered in 1972. Owned by Adrian Planterose.

Stag 4X4 - photo by Derek Graham

Dolomite Sprint

FRW 812L

Registered early in 1973 as one of the publicity cars but adopted in 1974 by BL Portugal as a group 2 rally car to enter the TAP Rally always crewed by Brian Culcheth & Johnstone Syer it achieved excellent results on the Hackle, Lindisfarne and Mintex rallies. In all 17 events were undertaken when it was retired in March 1976. Now owned by Brian Kitley.

Dolomite Sprint

SOE 8M

This car left the Coventry production plant in early 1974 and went straight to Leyland ST at Abingdon to be stripped & converted to group 2 rally spec. It enjoyed a relatively short competition life the highlight of which was coming 19th overall in the Lombard RAC rally of 1974. The Scottish Rally of 1975 proved this cars nemesis. Crewed by Brian Culcheth & Johnstone Syer and lying 8th overall, Brian took a blind brow a tad too fast and the car rolled down a steep bank ending its competition life. Owned by Brian Kitley.

Dolomite Sprint

MYX 175P

A works Group 1 car campaigned by the factory during the 1976/77 season. Notable successes being 2nd overall in the 1976 Texaco Tour of Britain driven by Brian Culcheth & Ray Hutton and 1st in Group 1 category of the 1977 Manx Trophy Rally driven by Pat Ryan & Mike Nicholson. The car is owned by Les Twigg.

Dolomite Sprint

LNH 404P

In addition to the Broadspeed racing version of the Dolomite Sprint this firm prepared road cars for private customers and this is one such example. A reworked cylinder head, 2 inch SU carburettors and new exhaust system raised the power to 165 bhp. The suspension is lowered & stiffened providing better road manners to cope with the extra urge. This car is owned by Ian Wilkes.

TR 7

LOP 378P

Registered by the factory in 1976 this car was initially used as a press evaluation car. It acquired the current paint trim in 1978 when it was used as a publicity vehicle for the BL rally program. Apart from the paint trim it is in most other respects a standard early TR 7. Minor modifications were carried out by Abingdon in 1978 including Willans rally harnesses, works dashboard & stiffer susspension. The most famous photograph of this car was taken under a British Airways Concord with Per Eklund and Hans Sylvan. Owned by Peter Stanley.

TR7 V8

 

Owned by Simon Wallace

TR7 V8

UYH 863S

An ex-works car which came 1st overall in the 1980 Rothmans Manx Stages in the hands of Tony Pond & Fred Gallagher. Owned by Tim Harrison for the last four years it has been rebuilt to original tarmac rally specification with one or two specification changes to meet modern rally standards. Suspension is 320/120 Bilstein with 300 lb. springs and the engine is a 3.5 litre V8 running on 4 x 48 DCOE Webber carburettors, producing 325 bhp. Still used for historic rallying it is booked in the Deutchland & San Remo rally’s.

TR7 V8

TR7 V8

JJO 931W

This was the car used by Tony Pond in the 1980 RAC Rally, the last ever competed by the TR7 V8I under the BL Competition Department. It is reputed that this car is in fact TUD 683T, the most successful & reliable of the team cars. It was reregistered for the RAC to upstage the other works teams! The owner is Peter Joy

TR 8

 

A TR 8 race version built by A.D.A. Engineering for the Le Mans 24-hour race in 1981. Powered by twin turbo-charged Rover 3.5-litre engine. Timed at 201 m.p.h. on the Le Mans Mulsanne straight. This car is owned by Peter Knott.

Le Mans TR8

Avon Turbo Acclaim

UJH 994Y

Now a very rare conversion offered by Avon Coachwork and was available to order through BL dealers and carrying a full BL warranty. When current approximately 200 were scheduled to be produced although the exact number is not known. Changes to standard specification include: Garrett AiResearch T3 turbocharger giving 105 bhp and a 0-60 time of just under 9 seconds, lowered & uprated suspension, two tone paintwork and Connolly leather seats. The Owner is Richard Sandilands.

Acclaim

 

This car is the last Acclaim model to leave the production line and forms part of the BMIHT collection.

The Last Acclaim

STOP PRESS ENTRIES

Model

Registration No.

Details

Roadster 1800

BHH 903

Engine: 4 cyl ohv 1776cc Year: 1946.

This car is the earliest known running Roadster having a chassis no. 161 out of a production total of 2000. The first 200 were slightly different from subsequent cars, having folding down side window frames and a different hood mechanism. This car is to original specification except for a floor change gear lever rather column change. This model along with the related 1800 Saloon were the first Triumphs produced by the Standard Motor Company and started the successful line of Standard-Triumph models. The 1776cc engine was actually an ohv version of the Standard 14 engine and similar to that sold to Jaguar Cars for their 1.5 litre saloon. Owner: Henry Gillott.

Mayflower

ORB 639

Engine: 4 cyl side valve 1247cc Year: 1950.

Announced in October 1949 the Mayflower was the brainchild of Standard’s Sir John Black and was intended as a ‘mini’ version of the established Triumph 1800/2000 Razoredge Saloon. The title is assumed to be for the benefit of the US market where it was hoped the razoredge styling would prove popular. This did not prove to be the case and the Mayflower’s main market was the UK and Commonwealth. This car is the second oldest surviving example of the Mayflower with a commission number of TT1388. Owner Frank Smith.

Renown

HRY 79

Engine: 4 cyl ohv 2088cc Year: 1953.

The Triumph razoredge saloon was introduced with the ‘Town & Country’ model in 1945 and this name was dropped soon after launch for the more anonymous sounding ‘1800 Saloon’. The model was gradually developed up to 1954 by which time it had been renamed the Renown with the 2 litre engine from the Standard Vanguard. It has always been a puzzle why Triumph failed to put the model name '‘Renown'’ anywhere on the vehicle. Whilst this is not unique, it is certainly most unusual. This car was found in a barn in 1989 and has been completely restored to the high standard you see today. It has the original optional extras of Laycock overdrive and a radio. Owner: Dave Wickens.

Help us complete this page!

I'd like to fill in the gaps in this page and post a picture of every historic car present. If you were at Gaydon and have some pictures that you'd like to see here contact Keith Bennett

JOIN | HOME | FORUM | INFO | MAGAZINE | CALENDAR | GROUPS | COMPS | 10CR | PHOTOS | SHOP | CLASSIFIEDS | LINKS

MEMBERS LOG IN


This page is maintained by:-

Keith Bennett
Last update 28/1/1